Can someone please find me

Another oddity about Sagarin's numbers was, the day after we beat Missouri, we were ranked fifth to Missouri's fourth in his rankings. He cannot edit them for "sanity" or they lose integrity, but that was a numerical oddity. Basically the numbers said Missouri's loss was "less bad" than our loss, since they lost to the #5 team while we lost to the #34 team (which Texas was at that time). Texas is now ranked 45th in Sagarin's rankings.

Why does Sagarin have nearly every top B10 team's sos below 70? That doesn't make any sense

Those are the statistical anomalies I was talking about. Another current anomaly is that the PAC-10 has nine of the sixteen toughest schedules in all the land. I don't get all the ins and outs of how the numbers work, but at the end of the season it'll balance out. In the middle of the season, with 1/3 of your games left to play, there will be variances in the numbers.

What he said, plus the fact that by the end of the season they won't all have played each other will keep it lower than it might otherwise be.

Why does Sagarin have nearly every top B10 team's sos below 70? That doesn't make any sense

Because their schedules aren't very good. Look at Ohio St. for example:

vs. #116 Marshall

vs. #30 Miami (FL)

vs. #81 Ohio

vs. #188 Eastern Michigan

@ #34 Illinois

vs. #103 Indiana

@ #17 Wisonsin

vs. #93 Purdue

@ #142 Minnesota

Remember Sagarin includes FCS teams (which can be linked because of games between the two). Many of these teams rank below a good handful of FCS teams. Six of OSU's nine current opponents rank below 80th!

for kicks, i checked out the schedule of the team with the lowest SOS on that list, Howard University. it turns out that even with that "cakewalk" schedule, theyre currently 2-7, having been outscored 285-175. i think we should send them a gift basket or something!

Sagarin says 1-8...

edit: also the lowest 1A school is 0-10

You do realize this is not an accepted SOS, right? If you want to boast, boast that ISU's SOS is 6th in the country on Sagarin, a scale actually used by the BCS. You're more than four times better than Nebraska's - we're 28th in Sagarin's SOS.

Anyway, here's your cookie:

cookie.jpg

:rollin

thanks for the cookie.

boasting? Having the toughest schedule is a negative, especially for a team like isu. But if you consider it a boast, I guess I'll take it. :cheers

Sure can't boast about our win/loss record.

It's the NCAA website numbers. What would they know? :dunno

Why would you post this if not to pump up your team? You're excited that you're getting your butt kicked? Of course it's a boast.

And the reason it's worthless is it's not based on a useful formula. It's simple win/loss numbers. Nobody anywhere uses these numbers for anything. Sagarin, Massey, Colley - these are SOS that mean something. I was under the impression that most folks knew this. :dunno