Redshirt Evaluation

ESPY

I'm interested to hear what my fellow HB members think of how our coaches have handled redshirts so far this season.

From the obvious file, it's clear Lavonte David and Yoshi (both JUCO transfers) have played vital roles, so the coaches made a good decision to use them. Next, I'd say the decision to burn Ciante Evans' redshirt has paid off nicely so far. Obviously we needed him vs Mizzou, and he was at least serviceable vs ISU (several solid tackles in spite of the TD he gave up). Another true frosh who's done solid work is Andrew Rodriguez, so that's another good decision in my book.

So far I'd say the only wasted redshirt has been Quincy Enunwa. I still think this guy is going to be something special in the years to come. But, we haven't utilized him at all since burning his redshirt early in the season. I realize this has much to do what appeared to be a lack of depth at WR, but he's definitely a guy I wish we would've used a redshirt on this year.

I've been quite happy to see the coaches are set on redshirting Chase Rome. He's going to be a great player, and chances are he'll have an immediate impact next season.

I thought Chase Rome didn't play at the beginning of the season because of an injury during summer camp. And now that he could play, he won’t because we have good depth and he already missed 2/3 of the season.

And yeah, he is going to be GREAT once he gets on the field.

Evans has played in 6 games, Enuwa has played in 5 games and Rodriguez has played in 4 games. Evans has played in 1 more game then Enuwa and Rodriguez has played in 1 less game yet Enuwa is the only decision that is questioned? Interesting. <_<

Rodriguez participation stats per www.huskers.com

Western Kentucky – yes

Idaho – Yes

Washington – No

South Dakota State – No

Kansas State – Yes

Texas – No

Oklahoma State – No

Mizzou – No

Iowa State - Yes

I would like to add that NU has been fortunate in having few injuries to the OL and WR positions. I have to believe that if some of these players went down with injury the coaching staff felt that Evans and Rodriguez needed to be ready and able to contribute. Its easy to second guess. For that matter if Dennard stays healthy using Evans was a mistake.

I don't necessarily disagree with burning Quincy's redshirt. He was pretty solid in the fall and the coaches thought he'd be a good backup to Paul, Kinnie and McNeill. But when those three are ahead of you it's going to be tough to get some PT. His experience will pay off when he gets more opportunities next year.

Agree with ESPY on the JUCO guys. You don't bring them in to sit. And Arod is going to be considered one of the best linemen we've had when his career is over, and getting him on the field early will pay off in the next 3 years in the Big 10. Our line will be a force in 3 years with Arod, Sirles, Qvale, Klachko, Moore, Reeves, Sterup, (Hobbi?).

Don't dismiss Jay Guy, the kid has lost some of his baby fat and may make a nice back up on the D-line next year. Rome should also help out. Corey Cooper is another guy that could push for a starting role next year. He's quick, smart and most important of all, a VERY good tackler. Joshua Mitchell was the #1 CB the staff pursued, yet I don't know how he's progressing. It seems our DB's should be in very good shape in the next few years, though.

Skill players play right away if coaches think they can contribute. It's easier to find a great skill player who you can get the ball to in space and create actual plays that can help u score points than it is to develop 3-5 lineman who have to practice together to gain cohesiveness and play as a unit. Not to mention get their bodies up to par to have the strenght to play top level D1. You can coach a lineman to have bettter technique, but u can't coach speed

I don't necessarily disagree with burning Quincy's redshirt. He was pretty solid in the fall and the coaches thought he'd be a good backup to Paul, Kinnie and McNeill. But when those three are ahead of you it's going to be tough to get some PT. His experience will pay off when he gets more opportunities next year.

Agree with ESPY on the JUCO guys. You don't bring them in to sit. And Arod is going to be considered one of the best linemen we've had when his career is over, and getting him on the field early will pay off in the next 3 years in the Big 10. Our line will be a force in 3 years with Arod, Sirles, Qvale, Klachko, Moore, Reeves, Sterup, (Hobbi?).

Don't dismiss Jay Guy, the kid has lost some of his baby fat and may make a nice back up on the D-line next year. Rome should also help out. Corey Cooper is another guy that could push for a starting role next year. He's quick, smart and most important of all, a VERY good tackler. Joshua Mitchell was the #1 CB the staff pursued, yet I don't know how he's progressing. It seems our DB's should be in very good shape in the next few years, though.

Haven't heard anything on Mitchell since the beginning of the season when he was in a little trouble :cop:

Haven't heard anything on Mitchell since the beginning of the season when he was in a little trouble :cop:

If he got in trouble, no more news is good news. Trust me, even if he isn't setting the world on fire right now, dude will do just fine under the tutelage of Sanders. You more often than not DON'T hear glowing reviews of superstars in the making during their RS year. No big deal. Hopefully, the light will click on later down the road.

Chase Rome and Corey Cooper - GREAT red-shirting decisions. Both came here physically ready to play, but both will drastically benefit from a RS year. Rome could play right now, but with the depth we seem to have at DL, there is no sense in playing him.

Enunwa - :facepalm:

ARod - This is a tricky one. Brandon Thompson has played just as well as the starters and is a backup at virtually every position. We also seem to be two-deep at every other spot. The only thing that I think burning his shirt has done is told the coaches that he is definately a guard.