Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

The student section is still totally removed from the sideline, and split up into blocks for the Greek system, right? If so, then I think that's a big reason why the crowd is so lame. The student section is totally marginalized.

You wanna know what the most shameful thing about Memorial Stadium is, to me? I felt more at ease screaming for the 'Skers when I went to Manhattan this year than I ever have in Memorial Stadium. I've been to probably 20-25 home NU games, and I always felt like I had to ask permission to stand up and yell during a big play, or during a big 3rd down. I was told to sit down several times.

Have you guys ever been to a game at Arrowhead? If not, go sometime and take notes. Show up for the tailgating. That's how you do it.

Bo has a real issue. He has a team that is not playing inspired football. I think this is two weeks in a row that the human polls are dropping NU based on their play. Colorado just beat ISU, ISU almost beat NU. NU only drops 20 on Kansas. Kansas is not a top 100 school.

I didn't watch the game but I think Bo has a 9-1 team that should be 10-0. If the play is better on both sides of the ball and NU plays like they should. The crowd would be into it.

KSU beat the crap out of Kansas. 59-7 or something like that.

Baylor beat the crap out of Kansas, 55-7.

If those teams can put of 55 plus. NU should've put up 80 like Wisconsin.

btw, it's funny Bo calls out the fans when he says, "I don't care about the 105 NU-KU streak ending"

I thought Bo loved all the tradition and that crap. I thought only the previous staff didn’t care about the past. Interesting. <_<:facepalm:

As far as the crowd goes, NU crowds have been and always will be overrated. Knowledgeable, respectful, friendly, of course but rowdy and crazy like a lot of schools no way. :madash

That's fine, but maybe some of the fans had injuries (sore throats, etc.) that we didn't disclose to Bo before the game. I wonder if he ever asks someone if they are coming to the game, and they reply "You'll find out at kickoff time."

Bo should realize that fan relations are part of his job, if he cares about how the fan support is going to be. And he should.

It's too bad I can't give you more than one +1. Brilliant post.

That's fine, but maybe some of the fans had injuries (sore throats, etc.) that we didn't disclose to Bo before the game. I wonder if he ever asks someone if they are coming to the game, and they reply "You'll find out at kickoff time."

Bo should realize that fan relations are part of his job, if he cares about how the fan support is going to be. And he should.

It's too bad I can't give you more than one +1. Brilliant post.

+1 Did it for you, good post :clap

Just my opinion but if fans can point out inconsistencies in player performances, coaching, and so forth, why shouldn't we hold ourselves the same way for only being loud at certain games.

Because I can see a lot of fans turning on him should he have a bad season in the next few years.

To further derail the thread intentionally, I hate listening to ANYBODY who isn't watching the game, guys included. The problem, however, is that most of the guys are there purely for the sport while it does seem that most girls are there just because it's a social event. Obviously, not all, but in my experience most are. I think they should quarantine the 'social event girls' and the 'I don't know much about football' guys to the upper sections of the student section. That way, the people who really want to watch the game without high pitched giggles, bad commentary, or drunken stupors, can just watch the game.

Just my opinion but if fans can point out inconsistencies in player performances, coaching, and so forth, why shouldn't we hold ourselves the same way for only being loud at certain games.

Because I can see a lot of fans turning on him should he have a bad season in the next few years.

maybe, maybe not but public relations is part of his job for being a public employee, he should really try to get used to it by now...

To further derail the thread intentionally, I hate listening to ANYBODY who isn't watching the game, guys included. The problem, however, is that most of the guys are there purely for the sport while it does seem that most girls are there just because it's a social event. Obviously, not all, but in my experience most are. I think they should quarantine the 'social event girls' and the 'I don't know much about football' guys to the upper sections of the student section. That way, the people who really want to watch the game without high pitched giggles, bad commentary, or drunken stupors, can just watch the game.

:yeah

Don't get me wrong, we have the best fans in America, BUT I have to agree with Bo on this one. Simply put our fans need to be louder. I don't care if its -20 outside or 100 outside stand up sometimes it is not going to kill you. 85,000 people can be loud, Missouri game, Oklahoma game '09....we just need to be more often. Compared to what Bo has seen in the SEC, Memorial stadium probably sounds like a PGA golf course on a Sunday afternoon.

While no one wants to admit it, NU has a higher percentage of blue hairs than anyone else in the nation. It's far more of a social event for them than a sweating bullets-fired up on 30 beers-ultra passionate-"win or die" SEC redneck screaming his lungs out is for them.

I remember going to the Baylor game in 1996 and being in the faculty section. I've honestly been to funerals with higher excitement than what that section had. Frankly is was disgusting as all they seemed to care about was going to get pizzas and sitting on their huge fat asses. Yeah, it was "Baylor" but I honestly never saw even "one" tenured prof yell, clap or even stand up the whole game. Damned if I know why they even go.

I think NU desperately needs younger blood for a better home field advantage. It's great we have fans that have attended for 10,000 consectutive years but somehow we need a changing of the gaurd.

I used to think this, but I believe it is wrong. Texas was somewhat mute, even at the tunnel walk. Many "bluehairs" had sold there ticket or let the kids, or grand kids use them. MU was not supposed to be a big game, surprise, it was. The game was played on a perfect day so most older people still went, the crowd was awesome. Fast forward to Saturday, and we have a rookie night, meaning most "bluehairs" did not come. I saw empty seats, people who really looked bored, didn't know when to clap, heck people were starting cheers when we were on offense.

People always say the SEC is so much louder. I think that is true to a point, although when you watch their games how often do you hear bells, or those things Texas fans use. Yeah they are loud, but they are also illegal. I watched a game last year, and the announcers said how loud it was, although they also pointed out that most people had brought in artificial noise makers.

Lastly if you think we need to change the guard, then by all means do it. Grab your check book and give the Athletic Department a call, ask them how much it will cost to get a seat in West Stadium, right in the blue hair section, say between the 30's, and hold on to your socks, the true ticket price for many of those people is breath taking.

I don't think it was the blue-hairs that were to blame for the quiet crowd in this game. Most of the older folks who sit around our seats weren't there this week. It was the first cold game, it was a terrible opponent, and we were supposed to blow them out. The tailgates were all half empty, and frankly I think about half the older crowd didn't even show up. Not sure who took their seats, but they weren't all old and they weren't terribly loud.

Again, the burden for crowd noise rests on the team, not the fans. The ONLY difference between the Missouri crowd and the Kansas crowd was the play on the field. I think the crowd takes zero responsibility for this.

Excatly, our tailgate lot is north of the stadium. When we showed up at 2ish it was maybe 15% full. By 4:30-5 it was only 70% full. It had quite a different feel than the Mizzou and Texas game.

Crowd noise is a two way street. The crowd pumps up the team with noise, and the team pumps up the crowd with their play on the field. I will buy that wearing gloves will damper the noise a little, but yelling out your throat will make a hole-heck-of-a lot more noise than clapping with your hands.

If people want to sit down they can go to an NFL game or pay the big bucks and sit in the suites and club seating.

I don't think it was the blue-hairs that were to blame for the quiet crowd in this game. Most of the older folks who sit around our seats weren't there this week. It was the first cold game, it was a terrible opponent, and we were supposed to blow them out. The tailgates were all half empty, and frankly I think about half the older crowd didn't even show up. Not sure who took their seats, but they weren't all old and they weren't terribly loud.

Again, the burden for crowd noise rests on the team, not the fans. The ONLY difference between the Missouri crowd and the Kansas crowd was the play on the field. I think the crowd takes zero responsibility for this.

Excatly, our tailgate lot is north of the stadium. When we showed up at 2ish it was maybe 15% full. By 4:30-5 it was only 70% full. It had quite a different feel than the Mizzou and Texas game.

Crowd noise is a two way street. The crowd pumps up the team with noise, and the team pumps up the crowd with their play on the field. I will buy that wearing gloves will damper the noise a little, but yelling out your throat will make a hole-heck-of-a lot more noise than clapping with your hands.

If people want to sit down they can go to an NFL game or pay the big bucks and sit in the suites and club seating.

you can tailgate in Lincoln? Where? :sarcasm