Sipple's intriguing statistic

knapplc

Kudos to Sipple for tracking this down:

ESPN's Big 12 blogger, David Ubben, came up with an interesting statistic:

The Big 12 team that has drawn the most penalties this year is Kansas, with 82 (Nebraska has been flagged 70 times).

The team whose opponents have been flagged the fewest times: Nebraska, with 46.

May not mean a thing.

Discuss.

LINK

I'm more concerned with the post-game things that have or have not happened than the in-game things. The refs are human, they're going to miss things, and unfortunately, this year they've been pretty bad for the most part. What concerns me most, is what the Big 12 did to Eric Martin. It was clearly a knee-jerk reaction to Cunningham and Franklin's rambling. I've seen the same and even some far worse hits in the Big 12 this year, even after that game that drew no suspension. Hell, ISU's best defender tried to rip off Burkhead's head and was clearly shown on TV and that doesn't draw a suspension? This is what concerns me most, the fact that in the 3 years that they have supposedly been reviewing game tape, Martin is the only person that's ever been suspended.

• Fire 1

Who leads the league in the category of fumbles caused and defensive touchdowns scored but then there actually is no touchdown because there was no fumble because the officials ruled that forward progress was stopped one nanosecond after contact?

It's a prestigious category. Ed Hochuli's favorite. When he explains it, he gets to hear himself talk for like 45 whole seconds.

Definitely an interesting stat from Ubben (nice to see him doing some analysis for a change). Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see where Texas sits in all of this.

Texas has been flagged 65 times in 10 games (5 less than NU), and Texas opponents have been flagged 59 times.

When we squared off with TU, we were flagged 10 times, while the Horns were flagged only 4 times. So, take away their matchup with NU, and TU is averaging 6.8 penalties per game while their opponent is averaging 5.4 penalties.

While this further supports the theory that Nebraska is getting hosed, it's still not as telling as Ubben's find. Based on that, I'd say Nebraska may be more of target of shotty calls than Texas being aided by the refs.

I'm more concerned with the post-game things that have or have not happened than the in-game things. The refs are human, they're going to miss things, and unfortunately, this year they've been pretty bad for the most part. What concerns me most, is what the Big 12 did to Eric Martin. It was clearly a knee-jerk reaction to Cunningham and Franklin's rambling. I've seen the same and even some far worse hits in the Big 12 this year, even after that game that drew no suspension. Hell, ISU's best defender tried to rip off Burkhead's head and was clearly shown on TV and that doesn't draw a suspension? This is what concerns me most, the fact that in the 3 years that they have supposedly been reviewing game tape, Martin is the only person that's ever been suspended.

Great post. On that note, did anyone see Nick Fairley's cheap shot hit on the Georgia QB last Saturday? Apparently the SEC office is just as wavering as the Big 12 office when it comes to these sort of hits. Fairley did not get suspended at all btw.

Great post. On that note, did anyone see Nick Fairley's cheap shot hit on the Georgia QB last Saturday? Apparently the SEC office is just as wavering as the Big 12 office when it comes to these sort of hits. Fairley did not get suspended at all btw.

and he made the top 5 for the Nagurski trophy Suh currently holds onto. "Sportsmanship" being one of the qualities that exemplifies the recipient. BS if Fairley wins it.

For the most part I think the Big 12 officiating has been bad all around. That said, I find it rather uncanny that we don't get ANY holding calls against opposing offensive lines. Most of the time, I see blatant holding all over opposing offenses yet it goes uncalled. They got one right in the ISU game because it was so obvious there really is no way you can't call it, but when your defensive tackles are heading back to the sidelines with tears all over their jerseys, something is up. They obviously wear some pretty tight jerseys these days, but come on. I'm pretty sure Crick had to change jerseys during a game once because it got torn to the mid sternum.

This is not a coincidence. Frankly, I'm shocked that we're not number 1 in the conference in penalties called against us.

And even with the use of instant replay, the officials have botched mulitple calls against us: Helu's "fumble" against ISU and Gabbert's "forward progress stopped" against us, just off the top of my head.

Kudos to Sipple for tracking this down:

ESPN's Big 12 blogger, David Ubben, came up with an interesting statistic:

The Big 12 team that has drawn the most penalties this year is Kansas, with 82 (Nebraska has been flagged 70 times).

The team whose opponents have been flagged the fewest times: Nebraska, with 46.

May not mean a thing.

Discuss.

LINK

Sounds like something very similar to what I posted about a month ago and got a bunch of grief from people. Oh well.

For the most part I think the Big 12 officiating has been bad all around. That said, I find it rather uncanny that we don't get ANY holding calls against opposing offensive lines. Most of the time, I see blatant holding all over opposing offenses yet it goes uncalled. They got one right in the ISU game because it was so obvious there really is no way you can't call it, but when your defensive tackles are heading back to the sidelines with tears all over their jerseys, something is up. They obviously wear some pretty tight jerseys these days, but come on. I'm pretty sure Crick had to change jerseys during a game once because it got torn to the mid sternum.

We talked about the lack of holding calls last year as well. Excluding our Sun Belt games, our opponents had 366 pass attempts last year and were called for holding our D Line, which included Ndamukong Suh, 11 times. This included ZERO holding calls against VA Tech, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas and Arizona. In contrast, Nebraska had 252 pass attempts and was flagged for holding 13 times.

It's not just this year that this is happening, but there are DEFINITELY a lack of holding calls against our D Line. And there are ripped/shredded jerseys to attest to the fact that our guys are being held.

Whattayagonnado? :dunno

We talked about the lack of holding calls last year as well. Excluding our Sun Belt games, our opponents had 366 pass attempts last year and were called for holding our D Line, which included Ndamukong Suh, 11 times. This included ZERO holding calls against VA Tech, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas and Arizona. In contrast, Nebraska had 252 pass attempts and was flagged for holding 13 times.

It's not just this year that this is happening, but there are DEFINITELY a lack of holding calls against our D Line. And there are ripped/shredded jerseys to attest to the fact that our guys are being held.

Whattayagonnado? :dunno

Our players seem to pretty much be taking this in stride during the game. Do you think the coaches are using it as a motivational tool? "Okay guys, over/unders on how many screwed calls we gotta overcome this week?!"

Really interesting. So I thought I'd see how often was the conference's most-penalized team flagged against NU last weekend.

Once for nine yards.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but it's hard to believe this is all a coincidence, especially when I think about a couple of the BS interference calls against Amukamara this year.

and he made the top 5 for the Nagurski trophy Suh currently holds onto. "Sportsmanship" being one of the qualities that exemplifies the recipient. BS if Fairley wins it.

Fairley also went for the QBs knee (another late hit) later in the game and ended up injuring him. Video of both cheap shots. This idiot is lucky he didn't paralyze himself leading with his helmet like that.

The hit to the back is textbook targeting, and he clearly led with the crown of his helmet. He even got flagged. So far this season, I have not seen a dirtier play than that, yet no suspension. Pretty ridiculous.