Why do we have depth at every area except for WR??

We don't have depth at WR is because we have a hard time recruiting top WR with our offense, not because we don't pass often enough, but rather because we don't pass well and have the type of QB that will make big time talent WR want to come to our program even if we are a top 15 team, if we are able to get that one special WR to come then we can sell him to other future recruits saying look what we can do, however with having Gilmore I don't see that happening.

We don't have depth at WR is because we have a hard time recruiting top WR with our offense, not because we don't pass often enough, but rather because we don't pass well and have the type of QB that will make big time talent WR want to come to our program even if we are a top 15 team, if we are able to get that one special WR to come then we can sell him to other future recruits saying look what we can do, however with having Gilmore I don't see that happening.

Getting a highly sought WR is going to be very difficult. They want to catch the rock and not spend most of their time blocking. Last year I believe Wats told Lil Gabbett that we were taking the offense in a different direction and whether by mutual decision or not Gabbert a passing QB decommitted. I think it was right after that we had a couple WRs decommit. My chronology may be wrong but the basis I believe is true. With TM when healthy emphasizing the run, I don't see it changing. We have some talented qbs in the pipeline but with TM a freshman, I see little promise of a top WR coming. And with Starling being the top pick in bb draft, I doubt he makes it. That kid is special.

To the OP,

Because we can't develop them, just like the rest of the offense. Let me do a comparison with the Oregon Ducks (because their offense is unbelievable).

WR's recruited since 2007

D.J Davis (4 star recruit)- 32 catches, 332 yds

Rishard Matthews (2) - no longer on team (NLOT)

Terrence Scott (4) - NLOT

Aaron Pflugard (2) - NLOT

Javes Lewis (0) - now a DB

Ellis Krout (2) - NLOT

Garrett Embry (3) - NLOT

Blake Cantu (3) - no catches

Tyreece Gaines (4) - NLOT

Diante Jackson (4) - NLOT

Nick Cole (2) - no catches

Braxton Lane (2) - NLOT

Lavasier Tuinei (2) - 33 catches, 321 yds

No WR's signed

What's my point with all this you ask (other than Oregon has a terrible time keeping WR's on the team)? They don't get much better recruits than we do in terms of stars, most of which arent on the team or not contributing. The only 2 recruited WRs in the past 4 classes that are contributing were a 4 star and a 2 star. What this tells me is that Oregon's coaches can actually coach kids who arent even recruited as WRs and turn them into serviceable players. They don't have a star on the WR corp, but they catch the ball when it is thrown to them, run good routes, and likely block well all at the same time. Hell, their best WR this year is a converted DB. This is development (thanks Mr. Frost). What we are doing is not development. Their QB and OL scenario is likely similar. I'm done ranting. Please discuss.

With a good OC and good position coaches, you don't need a Justin Blackmon-type playmaker to have a great passing game. You need a good playcaller and guys that can run routes and consistently catch the ball. And of course a QB that can make reads (ours aren't the greatest).

With Watson's offense especially, it's very rare to see us isolating single coverage and throwing it up. The couple times I can remember trying it with Niles, he wasn't able to make the play or the QB overthrew it. So recruiting some Randy Moss type superstar isn't going to benefit this type of offense as much as getting three to four solid hands guys and developing them. But if we just suck at developing them, we might be stuck in mud...

With a good OC and good position coaches, you don't need a Justin Blackmon-type playmaker to have a great passing game. You need a good playcaller and guys that can run routes and consistently catch the ball. And of course a QB that can make reads (ours aren't the greatest).

With Watson's offense especially, it's very rare to see us isolating single coverage and throwing it up. The couple times I can remember trying it with Niles, he wasn't able to make the play or the QB overthrew it. So recruiting some Randy Moss type superstar isn't going to benefit this type of offense as much as getting three to four solid hands guys and developing them. But if we just suck at developing them, we might be stuck in mud...

Yeah, we don't need Randy Moss or Jerry Rice. We just need to get some Abdul Muhammads and Clester Johnsons.

• Fire 1

Yeah, we don't need Randy Moss or Jerry Rice. We just need to get some Abdul Muhammads and Clester Johnsons.

thank you.

There's this receiver named Mike McNeil. Rumor has it he can actually catch the football. We also have Cooper and Enunwa, two guys who have all the talent in the world but haven't gotten an opportunity to showcase it just yet. Obviously our receivers can't just replace Niles Paul, but if two or three of them make a concerted effort to drop 2 or 3 passes then you'll hardly notice a difference.

There's this receiver named Mike McNeil. Rumor has it he can actually catch the football.

I really feel for Mike, he could have been one of the greats. He just fell victim to poor coaching.

no kidding...that pass he snagged with the game on the line, even tho the throw was way out of bounds...who does that?!?