Chatelain: Pelini, Martinez have reached pivot point

Hercules

I read another article that mentioned that maybe some of Martinez's behavior is because he's kind of introverted. I don't know the guy, so I couldn't say if he is or not, but being rather introverted myself, I know that it's often times misinterpreted that I'm unfriendly, standoffish, etc.

Even if this is the case, though, when you're in a position like he is where you need to be a leader, you have to learn how to put all that aside and act like one.

My main problem with an article like this is that it seems to carry about as much credible weight as a poster on this board. Where's the source? Where are the inarguable facts, or data? It's just hearsay.

"There's reason to believe that Pelini's very public confrontation with Martinez at Texas A&M occurred because Taylor contacted his father via phone from the NU locker room." What is that? Dirk brings that up as if Pelini hadn't denied it two days earlier at a press conference. You wanna call Bo a liar, that's fine, but at least acknowledge that's what you're doing.

I'll tell you where he got that information, and I can tell you where to get it for yourself. Rewatch the confrontation a few times. It is extremely obvious Bo says something about a dad and phone.

My main problem with an article like this is that it seems to carry about as much credible weight as a poster on this board. Where's the source? Where are the inarguable facts, or data? It's just hearsay.

"There's reason to believe that Pelini's very public confrontation with Martinez at Texas A&M occurred because Taylor contacted his father via phone from the NU locker room." What is that? Dirk brings that up as if Pelini hadn't denied it two days earlier at a press conference. You wanna call Bo a liar, that's fine, but at least acknowledge that's what you're doing.

I'll tell you where he got that information, and I can tell you where to get it for yourself. Rewatch the confrontation a few times. It is extremely obvious Bo says something about a dad and phone.

Just watched this video again and you're right. It does look like he says something about dad and phone. Also, as Bo is walking away it looks like Taylor says "b*&ch!" Not trying to start anything, but that's what it looks like to me.

And exactly how is an article like this any better than Bo yelling at him on the sidelines? Chatty can't even take the heat in the aftermath by not disclosing what was talked about. This kind of journalism bothers me FAR more than a coach who is around the kid much more than the 3 hours we see on TV, for the good and the bad. All of these speculation about somebody's feelings stories are starting to get pretty pathetic.

Just watched this video again and you're right. It does look like he says something about dad and phone. Also, as Bo is walking away it looks like Taylor says "b*&ch!" Not trying to start anything, but that's what it looks like to me.

I was aware of the speculation regarding what the confrontation was about. However, Bo, at the press conference, said straight up that he was aware of all of the speculation, and that it was all way off. Maybe he's lying. But my problem with the article is that Dirk just ignores Bo's denial, as if it never happened. He doesn't even say something to the effect of, "I know Bo has denied this, but I have reason to believe that Coach Pelini is not being entirely truthful regarding this manner."

If Dirk has something new, he should share it. If he just thinks Pelini isn't being honest, he should say it. Instead, he just re-states the rumor most of us had already heard, without acknowledging the events that have occurred since it originally spread around.

I don't know what to think. When it comes to players I would not take anything he says as truth. He has shown over the last month the he will say whatever he wants. I think he should just say I don't talk about players and injuries. It's one thing to play it up for a week, but to say week in week out that all is fine when it is a mess makes is easy for reporters to blow him off and report waht they want on issues. Of course they may do this anyway.

Lets hope that Bo and Martinez both grow up a bit after last week, because with Martinez skill and Bo's defensive mind it could be a good run the next few years. I hate to focus so much on Martinez skill but Watson needs naturally gifted players becayse he does not seem to do well coaching them up.

• Fire 2

The whole problem with the situation was that they went to the A&M training room to take the x-rays and when they were done, instead of coming back on the field with the trainer, Taylor decided to wonder on over by himself to the Huskerboardand give daddy a text or call. I would have ripped him a new one also, he deserves to sit this week wether he is hurt or not.

Here's my take:

* Taylor DID quit, or threaten to quit, the team in August. This has been proclaimed time and time again by people with legitimate in's to the University, and has been accepted as such by those who respect the people that give out information.

* Taylor most likely quit again, or at least threatened to or thought about it, on Sunday, before being talked down.

* Bo's black and white nature serves him well with issues like this, and Chatelain is right that his standards are being tested, and he's close to looking like a hypocrite.

* Like Chatelain said, no player, no matter how incredible they are, is worth keeping if they go against your team philosophy and aren't committed to what you are doing.

* Bo should, for the time being, take Tom's approach, and always give a welcoming second or third chance, but if Taylor still dances around in the way he has been, eventually enough is enough, and he can not be a cancer on this team any longer (assuming he has been, which has been pretty well documented, to some extent, as well).

I think Bo owes us an explanation; obviously we're not going to get one. It appears Taylor (or if you ask some, his father) has problems, though. Threatening to quit once yet alone twice is pretty shady. What's the deal? Does he not like the university? Is he not a fan of Bo? Can he not take criticism? Is his father an a-hole? I want answers!

I'd like to think this entire situation is media-driven, but when there's smoke there's usually fire. There have also been a couple of questionable comments by teammates to suggest he's not well-liked, which goes back to his ego or inability/refusal to commit to the team. Either way, I expect the situation to be resolved this summer. He's definitely on his last strike.

I have long been skeptical of Martinez's character and wondered whether he'd ever mature into a good leader. It's easy to dismiss his follies as being due to his immaturity, but even as a true freshman you could already see that Burkhead would become a leader. It's something different with Martinez. I don't know if it is arrogance, apathy, or just not being happy with the program/school, but something is "off."

Here's the scary thing: We've had all this drama with Martinez despite the fact that everyone knows he is the best QB on the roster by far. What happens when Brion Carnes, Jamal Turner, and Bubba Starling come on scene and give him legitimate pressure for the starting job?

I really, really hate to say it, but I have got a bad feeling that Martinez is not long for this team.

I think Bo owes us an explanation; obviously we're not going to get one.

He's running a football program not scripting a soap opera for our entertainment.

Amazing that our season went from high hopes for a national championship to sink or swim in so many ways. Concerning Martinez, often the desire for a fresh start somewhere else reaches a pivotal point because it seems impossible to repair the damage and have success where you are. If you want to compare this to the Crouch experience a lot of people disliked him regardless of what he accomplished on the field. It's my opinion that if it comes out that Martinez quit, and it eventually will if it's true, even if he stays he'll never be loved by Husker nation the same way guys like Suh, Wistrom, Frazier, Alberts etc. were.

On that note Suh being back tomorrow will be a much needed moral boost when it feels like we're at such a low point.

The general idea of this article is right on. Whoever doesn't admit it is just afraid. I'll always root for whoever our starting QB is, but come this off-season I hope Carnes, Turner, or Starling will take over. Not because Bo favors them over Taylor, but because they earned it. I'm just worried that chemistry will be poor with Martinez. But once he is named the starter, I'm still 100% rooting for him.

dude showed more heart than a lion playing on his injured leg. you watched the replay. dont have to draw stick figures in the sand with what obviously went on in the locker room. back the f#*k off. the kid is more a player for the team than any of us could ever dream of being.

how many people have said that they wouldnt have taken that from Bo or what not???? Honestly? this kid is a once in a lifetime type player, as a freshman no less, and people are treating him like sh#t. its completely f'ing asinine to me.