Chatelain: Pelini, Martinez have reached pivot point

Hercules

People are hardly treating him like sh#t. That's reserved for Niles Paul and Shawn Watson, Nebraska's two favorite scapegoats. (I'm kidding, but sadly it's true.)

Everyone agrees that Martinez is a hell of a talent. He's our best player and he's still a huge work in progress. But at some point, you have to question if the drama he brings to the team is worth it. Right now it is, especially since there's no source to back up these rumors. However, if he's truly quit the team for a second time, then you have to question his character, or at least those close to him (his father?).

Yeah, the thing that makes the least sense to me is this: If Martinez was a spoiled brat who wasn't loyal to his teammates and not fully committed to the team/staff, why did he go out on a busted ankle and slug his way through the second half of the Texas A&M game?

thank you. at least someone else sees it. however, dont be surprised when someone says that his playing was actually his selfish ways, hurting the team because he doesnt care about anything other than himself... because he obviously can use jedi mind tricks on watson and bo and insert himself in the game.

People are hardly treating him like sh#t. That's reserved for Niles Paul and Shawn Watson, Nebraska's two favorite scapegoats. (I'm kidding, but sadly it's true.)

Everyone agrees that Martinez is a hell of a talent. He's our best player and he's still a huge work in progress. But at some point, you have to question if the drama he brings to the team is worth it. Right now it is, especially since there's no source to back up these rumors. However, if he's truly quit the team for a second time, then you have to question his character, or at least those close to him (his father?).

your post is exactly the problem. its all speculation. i see a guy giving 100% on the field, injured wing and all. could care less about what the he said she said off of it is-because its plain as day nothing right now. f'ing rumor mongers.

your post is exactly the problem. its all speculation. i see a guy giving 100% on the field, injured wing and all. could care less about what the he said she said off of it is-because its plain as day nothing right now. f'ing rumor mongers.

I love what he's brought to Nebraska. I gained even more respect for him after he played the second half of the A&M game. What I said is that you have to question his character if the rumors turn out to be true.

I love what he's brought to Nebraska. I gained even more respect for him after he played the second half of the A&M game. What I said is that you have to question his character if the rumors turn out to be true.

i dont even know why i have to point this out.

Todd.....you have to listen to some posters on here regarding inside information and ignore others. I will tell you from what I have heard from those I am in contact with (former players with ex-teammates still on the team) that most on the team believe Taylor had to be talked into coming back by Watson or somebody on the offensive staff. His father was very upset about the way Pelini treated him and it does make you wonder if that relationship (father/son) is going to be detrimental. Again this is coming from players, so who knows if they know more than us about this situation...

Now you can dismiss me as well, because you have no reason to believe me. I don't really care.

• Fire 1

I totally agree with, "huge work in progress". Give him another year to grow up, but also remember it has not helped Cody Green like I thought it would.

I totally agree with, "huge work in progress". Give him another year to grow up, but also remember it has not helped Cody Green like I thought it would.

Niles is sometimes interchanged with Barney Cotton and/or Ted Gilmore....

In the early '90ies I did some consulting in Omaha. Jerry Tagge worked in the office next to us and one night after work he and I shared several adult beverages. It was evident that he and Johnny Roders didn't really care for each other personally. They were however on the same page when they were on the football field. Turner Gill has always been very close with TO. Tommie Frazier wasn't the most popular guy on the team when he lead the Huskers to 2 National Championships. With all the drama that surounded Scott Frost it is still very evident that he had totally accepted his position as the Field General of the '97 Huskers. T-Mart has to realize that he isn't the leader of this team because of his God given talent. He needs to distence himself from his talent and accept his position as the leader of the Nebraska Football Team.

T_O_B

:bigredn:

Here is my take.....not that anyone cares

1. Facts are facts

- He did play for 3 different teams in HS....concerning...As a high school

coach, players can be unahppy without transeferring. You aren't going

to convince me that he just "wanted a change". smoke = fire

2. He DID quit once

- This isn't in question. After quitting at least 2 teams in HS, he tried

to quit on NU this Summer. NOT RUMOR. FACT

3. His dad did visit bench DURING TEXAS GAME

- Sorry...even a HS rule. Parents aren't allowed on sideline or

communication during game, unless injury. He WASN'T injured, just

pride.

4. He did enter AM locker room and exit Neb locker room

- Why? Doesn't take rocket scientist. You can choose to stick to the

"rumor" branch all you want, but I think that everyone knows deep inside

that the whole talking to dad is exactly what happened.

NOW

5. Coaches have their own language

- Their job is to protect their players and program. And NO, Bo does not

owe us any explanation. We are FANS...that is all. Sorry to disappoint

some that feel entitled.

6. I am not throwing Taylor under the bus

- According to the facts, he must have a few character flaws, but he is

only 20 yrs old and under a huge football microscope. Hopefully he gets

it together.

7. RUMORS

- I still personally don't have proof that he quit team or threatened this

season (after the summer)...speculation. It is real easy to "pile on"

when the chips are down. A few weeks ago, ALMOST EVERYONE thought this

kid was the next coming and going to win a Heisman during is career. Wow,

what a difference a loss can do, huh.

** Guess what, most of us KNEW the FACTS about Taylor prior to the loss, and

I don't remember all of the negative talk. Funny how life works.

8. Finally... I support Bo, Tom, and whoever is wearing red-white.

- But, I am a little concerned about "trends", and the trend that is taking

place with Taylor isn't heading in a positive direction. I HOPE with every

ounce of hope that I have, that Taylor will start the Big 12 game (if we

make it) and the bowl game. Then go on to lead us for the next 3 yrs...

but sadly, I personally, do not think he will be here next yr.

** Problem with Dirk's article...POOR TIMING..

Gasoline.....meet Fire

• Fire 1

Yeah, the thing that makes the least sense to me is this: If Martinez was a spoiled brat who wasn't loyal to his teammates and not fully committed to the team/staff, why did he go out on a busted ankle and slug his way through the second half of the Texas A&M game?

The answer to this is simple. He loves playing football.