They Think They Are gonna smoke NU

I live here in OKC, and it seems the media, fans think that OU will not only win, but win comfortably. It will be hard to live here if that happens, however, I think NU might just roll this OU squad. Check out soonerfans.com. Any thoughts?

No, we don't.

Put aside the reports from campus corner in Norman and the internet bravado displayed at soonerfans.com: what else would one expect from those sources? :dunno

You'd as well walk through downtown Lincoln and poll the crowds on the exact opposite proposition, and then post "They Think They Are gonna smoke OU" on the soonerfans.com board. It doesn't compute, as a rational test of the actual perceptions out there.

The truth of the matter is, outside of the Quad in Norman & the largest internet site on the web dedicated to catering to the most passionate Sooner fans, there is a good deal of anxiety about this game - though in a good way. There is no consensus that we're going to "smoke" Nebraska in the slightest - indeed, the general feeling is that it's going to be a close-run thing - and beyond that, there is a kind of consensus that there is absolutely no better way to close out the Big 12 conference (and trust me; in a few years it's going away, and we'll be gone, too): Oklahoma vs. Nebraska.

There is a feeling that God has indeed proven His existence with this denouement of the in-conference rivalry between our two storied programs - and shown He has a love of college football tradition & history, to boot.

It's going to be a great game: and there could simply not be a better, or more respected, opposite number for us all to go our separate conference ways on. Period.

These are the things that are on 95% of OU fan's minds.

Who beat OU? Missouri? We beat the crap outta them. Texas A & M? We all know that the refs gave them that game when they played us, so why does OU think they can beat us? I think we can beat them. I agree with the writer who said that if Landry passes all night long, our Defense and especially our secondary is going to have a field day. Prince hasn't had any picks this year-right? I would love to see him pick off Landry's passes one right after the other. I would also love to see us shut down their running backs. We've done it before there's no reason why we can't do it again.

I look forward to our win and I actually don't think OU would mind losing to us. It will be such a sweet send off from our favorite rival!

-ladyhawke~

We beat the crap out of Missouri? Lets see ... Helu had a record day ... we had Martinez. Defense played good ... turnovers?

We needed those things and a big first half to "beat the crap" out of them.

I don't think you can take any of those things as a given into this game against OU. Sure, we want those things.

There is plenty enough for both sides to believe they can win this game ... it's all out there. I don't see any advantage to either side ... a fitting end.

SheepdogMark

They thought the same thing last year when both teams had the same record, and our offense was inept on a good day,(tho it's not that drastic at this point, but not what it was earlier in the year) I will say this, and mark my word, if Landry throws 60 passes in this game, Nebraska wins by 3 if not 4 touchdowns. Oklahoma's offense, just like a year ago, plays RIGHT into Bo's wheelhouse. Sideline to sideline, with a short lateral passing game.

Exactly this. Bo installed the Peso defense specifically to deal with offenses like Oklahoma's. Jones is at best a slightly-above-average quarterback.

Meanwhile on the other side of the ball, Oklahoma's run defense is 60th in the country (compared to Colorado's at 45th, and we ran on them just fine).

I live here in OKC, and it seems the media, fans think that OU will not only win, but win comfortably. It will be hard to live here if that happens, however, I think NU might just roll this OU squad. Check out soonerfans.com. Any thoughts?

No, we don't.

Put aside the reports from campus corner in Norman and the internet bravado displayed at soonerfans.com: what else would one expect from those sources? :dunno

You'd as well walk through downtown Lincoln and poll the crowds on the exact opposite proposition, and then post "They Think They Are gonna smoke OU" on the soonerfans.com board. It doesn't compute, as a rational test of the actual perceptions out there.

The truth of the matter is, outside of the Quad in Norman & the largest internet site on the web dedicated to catering to the most passionate Sooner fans, there is a good deal of anxiety about this game - though in a good way. There is no consensus that we're going to "smoke" Nebraska in the slightest - indeed, the general feeling is that it's going to be a close-run thing - and beyond that, there is a kind of consensus that there is absolutely no better way to close out the Big 12 conference (and trust me; in a few years it's going away, and we'll be gone, too): Oklahoma vs. Nebraska.

There is a feeling that God has indeed proven His existence with this denouement of the in-conference rivalry between our two storied programs - and shown He has a love of college football tradition & history, to boot.

It's going to be a great game: and there could simply not be a better, or more respected, opposite number for us all to go our separate conference ways on. Period.

These are the things that are on 95% of OU fan's minds.

I really doubt that. Listen to the sports animal, they most all believe OU will win this game handily. I'm just saying, from most that I have heard from, most believe it will be an easy OU win. Some of the fans are already looking forward, after this game. I'd definately say the general consensus around here is OU will win this game and win it handily.

Statistically the game plays right into our strengths.

Landry Jones has a passer rating of 146.4, which is good but not elite (23rd nationally).

Plus you have to take into account that he's played some really terrible pass defenses:

95. Cincinnati

105. Utah St.

109. Colorado

114. Baylor

115. Oklahoma St.

120. Texas Tech

That's half of the schedule right there.

Most OU fans probably thought he played a great game against OSU because of the huge yardage. But if you take out the easy toss for 77 yards against a Poke D that couldn't afford to give up a first down and therefore sold out for the run, Landry's day equates to a 119 passer rating. That's actually poor (think Jacory Harris at 88th nationally), and especially poor considering how bad OSU's pass D has been this year.

I'm not denying that he's had some great moments, but also some really ugly ones (the pick six against OSU). You can't afford ugly ones against Nebraska's defense, especially if the game is as low-scoring as most expect. Bo's been pretty good about scheming for big games like this. They won't let Landry get comfortable. The only thing we can't afford is getting beat deep. And we are better against a Broyles type (slot, over-the-middle guy) than a Blackmon type (big, outside deep threat). It'll just be up to Watson and the offense to put up 17-20 points. I think it's attainable considering this OU defense is not what it's been in years past.

Nice bit of research there, JTrain. Consider me enlightened after reading that.

Speaking of Jones' comfort level, you gotta wonder what Bo has in store as far as blitz packages and formations. I'm excited to see if he's been holding out on us for this very game and matchup with OU. We know he busted out the odd-man front vs Mizzou, so will we see that again? How often will we send safeties? Can we afford to hit 'em with corner blitzes?

Needless to say, I can't wait to see what happens.

The hurry up can cause defenses fits...but...Bedlam they had the game in the bag...but they couldn't run the clock out with their style of offense. They had to keep attacking. They scored quick...gameover right...OSU big kickoff for a TD suddenly it's a game again. OSU gets them to 3rd down and has to sell out for the run...big play...

Point is if OU gets up on us early we just need to keep playing cause we'll have enough time to get back into the game. The offense has to sustain a few drives early on and the D must lock down. We can wear them out even if they score a few quick ones. I have confidence our D can slow them down enough to get us into the 4th and hopefully their D will have been on the field much longer than ours.

With Bo and Company running our defense, and if our running game/OL and control the clock we have a better shot than OU believes.

Excellent point, and one that's easily overlooked. We must control the pace of this game, and take advantage of every opportunity we get offensively and defensively because OU will make mistakes...not many, but we must be ready when they do.