Shawn Watson to interview with Vanderbilt today?

Nexus

Here's an interesting Washington Post article about the Vandy job and one of the top candidates, Terrapin OC James Franklin.

Posted at 10:46 AM ET, 12/ 9/2010

What Franklin's interest in Vanderbilt means for Maryland

By Eric Prisbell

So, here we are, in the middle of December and at a critical juncture with Maryland football. James Franklin, Maryland’s offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting, is one of two finalists for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt, a source familiar with the details of the search told me Wednesday. Stanford offensive coordinator Greg Roman is believed to be the other finalist. It is uncertain whether David Williams, Vanderbilt's vice chancellor of athletics, will add other names to his short list of finalists; Tom Dienhart, the national college football writer for Rivals.com, is reporting that Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has a second interview today.

For those who expected the preparation for the Military Bowl to be the dominant story line this month, welcome to the coaching contract duel inside the Gossett Team House. Coach Ralph Friedgen wants an extension, like, yesterday and makes that clear. If Friedgen received one, Franklin's coach-in-waiting agreement would go up in flames -- so to speak, or maybe literally -- and he would not become head coach in 2012, as was expected when the agreement was made. So Franklin is interviewing -- and interviewing quite well, I'm told -- with the folks at Vanderbilt.

If Franklin is offered the job – no indication of that at this point -- we can then begin to get answers about the future of this program. Since Friedgen has openly said he would like to coach beyond 2011 – the final year of his contract – would Franklin take the Vanderbilt job, believing that his chances of being the head coach at Maryland in 2012 are diminished? Does Kevin Anderson, Maryland’s first-year athletic director, respond by assuring Franklin that he will be the head coach in 2012? And if so, where would that leave Friedgen, who has been telling high school prospects that he plans to coach for the majority of their college careers? And where does all this leave the yet-to-be-completed recruiting class?

There is also the issue of the $1 million Franklin is guaranteed if he remains at Maryland and is not named head coach by January 2012. That is not an insurmountable price tag – surely not if an apparel company executive wants to step in – but it is at least something to consider for a program that continues to fall short of season ticket sales projections.

Franklin is the program’s best recruiter; his pupil, quarterback Danny O’Brien, is the cornerstone of the program. But it’s Friedgen who just won ACC coach of the year honors for a second time. And it’s Franklin who has yet to coach a game. The fan base, diminished as it is, remains divided.

For 22 months, since Franklin was appointed Friedgen’s eventual successor, the question has been: Ralph or James? After 22 months, everything could be coming to a boil very soon and that seminal question will need to be answered by a first-year athletic director who needs to carefully untangle the CIW deal one clause at a time.

Here's an interesting Washington Post article about the Vandy job and one of the top candidates, Terrapin OC James Franklin.

Posted at 10:46 AM ET, 12/ 9/2010

What Franklin's interest in Vanderbilt means for Maryland

By Eric Prisbell

So, here we are, in the middle of December and at a critical juncture with Maryland football. James Franklin, Maryland’s offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting, is one of two finalists for the head coaching job at Vanderbilt, a source familiar with the details of the search told me Wednesday. Stanford offensive coordinator Greg Roman is believed to be the other finalist. It is uncertain whether David Williams, Vanderbilt's vice chancellor of athletics, will add other names to his short list of finalists; Tom Dienhart, the national college football writer for Rivals.com, is reporting that Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has a second interview today.

For those who expected the preparation for the Military Bowl to be the dominant story line this month, welcome to the coaching contract duel inside the Gossett Team House. Coach Ralph Friedgen wants an extension, like, yesterday and makes that clear. If Friedgen received one, Franklin's coach-in-waiting agreement would go up in flames -- so to speak, or maybe literally -- and he would not become head coach in 2012, as was expected when the agreement was made. So Franklin is interviewing -- and interviewing quite well, I'm told -- with the folks at Vanderbilt.

If Franklin is offered the job – no indication of that at this point -- we can then begin to get answers about the future of this program. Since Friedgen has openly said he would like to coach beyond 2011 – the final year of his contract – would Franklin take the Vanderbilt job, believing that his chances of being the head coach at Maryland in 2012 are diminished? Does Kevin Anderson, Maryland’s first-year athletic director, respond by assuring Franklin that he will be the head coach in 2012? And if so, where would that leave Friedgen, who has been telling high school prospects that he plans to coach for the majority of their college careers? And where does all this leave the yet-to-be-completed recruiting class?

There is also the issue of the $1 million Franklin is guaranteed if he remains at Maryland and is not named head coach by January 2012. That is not an insurmountable price tag – surely not if an apparel company executive wants to step in – but it is at least something to consider for a program that continues to fall short of season ticket sales projections.

Franklin is the program’s best recruiter; his pupil, quarterback Danny O’Brien, is the cornerstone of the program. But it’s Friedgen who just won ACC coach of the year honors for a second time. And it’s Franklin who has yet to coach a game. The fan base, diminished as it is, remains divided.

For 22 months, since Franklin was appointed Friedgen’s eventual successor, the question has been: Ralph or James? After 22 months, everything could be coming to a boil very soon and that seminal question will need to be answered by a first-year athletic director who needs to carefully untangle the CIW deal one clause at a time.

Come on Maryland fire Friedgen today and give the job to Franklin he deserves it. chuckleshuffle

People should be careful what they wish for because it just might come true. If Watson leaves, well let's just say Barney ball scares the ever living crap out of me.

Losing 10-6 is really no different then 10-3 and I'm guessing that the new OC wouldnt be here very long if thats his production. <_<

Someone said the same thing last and their right back where they were. If Watson stays I'm afraid that it's just going to get worse with a harder schedule with teams that do have decent defenses.

Now lets say the new OC comes in and starts to score like Stanford or Wisc of this year, Is anyone going to complain other then Zoogies?

People should be careful what they wish for because it just might come true. If Watson leaves, well let's just say Barney ball scares the ever living crap out of me.

Losing 10-6 is really no different then 10-3 and I'm guessing that the new OC wouldnt be here very long if thats his production. <_<

Someone said the same thing last and their right back where they were. If Watson stays I'm afraid that it's just going to get worse with a harder schedule with teams that do have decent defenses.

Now lets say the new OC comes in and starts to score like Stanford or Wisc of this year, Is anyone going to complain other then Zoogies?

Why would I complain about that?

The only thing I am complaining about is the treatment of Watson. As well as the idea that getting rid of him and staying the course otherwise, will solve anything.

If he leaves, people are going to throw a giant party here, and that's going to be pretty disgusting to watch, IMO. He deserves better than that.

Why would I complain about that?

The only thing I am complaining about is the treatment of Watson. As well as the idea that getting rid of him and staying the course otherwise, will solve anything.

If he leaves, people are going to throw a giant party here, and that's going to be pretty disgusting to watch, IMO. He deserves better than that.

Now if you complained at the treatment of Callahan, Pederson and Cosgrove at the time they were dismissed then I understand this statment. I wouldnt agree, but would undestand it.

How does Watson deserve better? Just to clear it up I was against keeping anything associated with Callahan and the westcoast offense.

Guy like that just doesn't deserve a party celebrating his departure.

I am really in the "Careful what you wish for" camp here, so opinions vary. I feel Watson is extremely underappreciated.

It would be nice to upgrade. It is kind of like upgrading your operating system, while keeping the same hardware running underneath it (RAM/HDD/CPU, etc). Which is fine if those are sufficient. If not...

And you never know if the next guy is going to be Vista or 7, to Watson's XP. Or Windows ME.