Shawn Watson to interview with Vanderbilt today?

Nexus

*one* of Paps/Ek have turned out great.

Watson is certainly not the one stopping offensive staff changes from being made, to form a more unified offensive coach unit. But I share your hopes for the next guy.

What do you mean? Which one is great and what's the other one ranked?

How can anyone be unhappy with either Ek or Pap? Both are great coaches and even better recruiters.

Yes! Another season of big game losses. I'm so geeked!

Atleast it wont be with the same teams this year.

Yes and that will be the excuse this next year if we fall to score a TD against Wisc, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Iowa.

"we havent played them before."

Yes and that will be the excuse this next year if we fall to score a TD against Wisc, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Iowa.

Thank you huskerscott. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Just you wait 'cause we're gonna see more of the same against the top teams. Who cares if it's not aTm or OU? We are gonna struggle unless Watson finally figures out what's best for our offense in crunchtime in those big games. That's just the bottom line.

I understand what you are saying, but the wins over MU and OSU could be what you would consider big games, so we didn't entirely fail in those type of games. But we didn't win the Big 12 championship, and that sicks out like a sore thumb no matter how you look at it.

• Fire 1

Question, in the scenario that you give are we playing our 3rd string QB, who just came off a concusion? Then again bringing up the injuries is also an excuse. In fact if you mention any legit reason for the offensive struggles it is an excuse. The fact of the matter is last year Watson needed to be fired for being too conserivitve just playing field position and kicking field goals, this year he needs to be fired for taking risks when we are in field goal range.

I understand what you are saying, but the wins over MU and OSU could be what you would consider big games, so we didn't entirely fail in those type of games. But we didn't win the Big 12 championship, and that sicks out like a sore thumb no matter how you look at it.

If this is how you benchmark the Husker offense then things have gotten really bad. 2 good games? That's all it takes to make it another year? Take the MU game for example. 454 yards of total offense. Pretty good. But once the defense adjusted, Watson only was able manage 190 or so yards the last 3 quarters of the game. 53 came on a HELU run. Take out that run, and we had essentially 3 solid quarters of 3 and outs.

Same EXACT thing happened against OU. ISU same deal. We have spurts of offensive production then long drouts of inneptitude. Basically...WATSON IS PREDICTABLE because you know he'll go away from what works. Every well coached team owned Watson after the first quarter. With a little prep, he can usually put together a hell of a game plan. See the Arizona game last year. Even the Texas game, from a "blueprint" standpoint was solid offensively. What Watson is incapable of doing is adjusting when he's been had. We were outcoached a number of times this year. Dakota, A&M, MU, ISU (to an extent) OU - getting out coached happens a couple times a year. but almost 50% of the time? The defense can only bail you out so much.

And don't even put OSU and their 100+ ranked defense in there. That's like saying he's a spectacular coach because he hung 50 points on Lincoln Southeast's defense. Not buying it.

You can't just take away all the good plays in a game and say "OK, so aside from all these big plays, we didn't do that well." We all know what happened in the Missouri game. We lost our momentum in the second quarter, due to some streaky play from our understandably streaky QB. Then once we grabbed that last touchdown early in the 3rd, we completely shut it down and no longer tried to even do anything but hold on to victory.

And we're not talking about 2 good games. We're talking about 2 good games against the 4 or so top teams that we played. There were a LOT of good games, but most people are going to dismiss Colorado and Washington and Kansas State and the like. So " 2 good games? That's all it takes to make it another year? " - a little overdramatizing that particular statement.

Know what happened against OU? Taylor was injured. Kansas? Taylor was injured. Iowa State? Cody was playing. That and the defense gave up a ton of points. A&M? Taylor was injured, and Cody was playing. Yeah, there were a lot of other things that went wrong in those games and no coach/player can be exculpated from blame completely. But the overriding factor that set us back in all those games was instability at the quarterback position.

*one* of Paps/Ek have turned out great.

Ekeler has done nothing that would make him deserve to be called great.

Dillard and David being successful was/is not because of him. They would have been good under almost any LB coach because they are freaks.

Whaley, Compton, Martin, May, Fisher and any other LB that has been here in the last 3 years not developing as quickly as promised is because of him. I guess he did put a fake tat on his arm while recruiting Compton and he can jump really high.

Disclaimer: If any of the LB’s listed comes out and sets the world on fire and makes drastic improvements over what they have shown so far then maybe Ek will have earned the moniker of “great”.