Why no screen passes????

You're right, i am little worked up. I just feel like, as the offense has DIGRESSED over the last couple months, and just to me personally, was always on the verge (playing better defenses, an injury here or there, and not hitting 80yd td homeruns) of not being a very effective offense. We have good players. We have talent. We have some decent depth. What we don't have is a coach putting them in or getting out of them their maximum benefit. And someone starts a thread about how crappy our offense plays or how bad the plays were when playing in a clutch game or against a good defense and these last few months it just seems like you come in defending what 95% of what others see as a problem. And when there is no defense, it's somehow the fanbase just being fickle or ridiculous in their thoughts on the O.

it'd be like, if you started a thread everyday about how yellow the sun is and I, against all other facts, opinion, argumentation, insight, or gut-feeling...i said no, the Sun is green. no, the Sun is green. No, the Sun is green.

of course you're entitled to your opinion as well and can post on any topic just as freely as I can, but when there are topics started I don't necessarily agree with the opinion, often times i'll move along and check back and see what others have to say. I don't incessantly insist on the Sun being green.

I would feel better if just ONCE you would say, "Yes our offense has flaw's. A big part of that is directly attributed to Shawn Watson's direction of the identity of the offense, the obvious inability of our guys to hold onto the ball in critical games, a seeming lack of focus on details like not false starting, and the lack of development of very talented players. I like Watson, but it is conceivable that given his track record in championship games and the statistical lack of production against top 30 defenses that maybe he is not the right guy to lead our offense or really needs to change things in order to maximize our offense."

I won't hold my breath and I won't argue with you anymore either. Peace

We have simplified our playbook QUITE a bit, and especially with Taylor in there it is really stripped down because again, you don't want to put more on that freshman's plate than he can handle. It doesn't mean we can't do damage out of it, we can (relying some on Taylor's feet to compensate for the lack of variety in the playbook, though). But it's why some of us have been saying all year that Taylor handcuffs the options we can do on offense. It's a trade off and the explosiveness has mostly been worth it. But recognize that we have to have a simplified offense as a result and it isn't just going to open up magically no matter how big the game.

We saw us try to do quite a bit of interesting stuff this game and against Texas for instance, but again there are limits on how far we can go, IMO. I like the versatility we are showing out of the Rexcat a lot right now though.

I like most screens, just got to treat them as runs, especially the WR screens that are going to get you little or no gain, or a few yards up to 10. It's not some dynamite game-breaking play but a quick option to keep defenses honest, as well as to pick up a few yards to make the next down manageable.

I am I, you can say a lot of bad things about the offense or even the staff and they could be fair, but seriously, the question was asked about why there aren't screens, and I tried to answer that question with a few guesses. I don't see what's so wrong about that. I didn't say I wouldn't rather we have screens, but I'm trying to guess as to why there isn't. I know you're frustrated with the offense but that doesn't mean anything other than criticizing the offense and demanding change is unacceptable...No, I'm not going to bag on the offense in this thread, because I don't think the lack of screens, which is the topic of this thread, is a problem with the staff, as explained.

Since you asked, I'll throw you a bone. Yes, our offense has flaws. Our receivers consistently drop the ball, figuratively and literally (Gilmore). Our OL has been extremely undisciplined over three years, especially with penalties (Cotton). We have good talent at receiver that has not been developed (Gilmore). We need a staff that can be a united front. It might happen or might not happen with Watson, but regardless, the problem is not something that will be fixed by cutting the head off the body and switching another one in there. Watson is not perfect, but I hope that fans realize that they are finding any problem they can with the offense and putting it often a bit blindly on Watson, which is not completely fair, as he is not dictating who is on this staff of his, and that seems (to me at least) to be the big issue.

Zoogies, it has nothing to do with loving screens or hating screens as a general concept of the offense. Every team has screens in the playbook. It's about catering the playcalling strategy to effectively counter what the defense is doing in a specific game. It's called in-game adjustment, and Watson doesn't seem very strong in that area. Screens were certainly the way to go with the type of heat OU was bringing, and yet Wats called one all game. Not acceptable.

Zoogies, it has nothing to do with loving screens or hating screens as a general concept of the offense. Every team has screens in the playbook. It's about catering the playcalling strategy to effectively counter what the defense is doing in a specific game. It's called in-game adjustment, and Watson doesn't seem very strong in that area. Screens were certainly the way to go with the type of heat OU was bringing, and yet Wats called one all game. Not acceptable.

This

When playing against teams with the defensive speed and skill that Boomer had(ie see also Texas) Wats failed to realize the best way to attack those teams is right at them. Yes against Boomer there was some success to the outside, but their defense(much also like ours) loves seeing teams run east/west against them. Think about the teams that ran pretty roughshed on the Blackshirts this year, they went right at the tackles usually doubling Crick and attacking NU's smaller LBs.

This is where I think Wats missed the bus. Against both Boomer and Texas he needed to use their front seven's speed against them. You do this by going right at them(a fullback is helpful, cmon some one +1 me for that reference) and also by using their speed against themselves with a sprinkling of draws, screens and shovel(or shuffle for the morons that think that is what it is called)passes. Remember BJax gashing Texes in the snow on the shovel? Little plays like these here and there last Saturday probably helps the offense and at the same time slows up Boomer's front four from pinning their ears back looking forward to decapitating Taylor(literally did once).

As far as the Callahan theory. For as big of a POS he was as a coach, he was one hell of an OLine coach. Read the article in Sports Illustrated a couple of weeks ago on the Jets and him, it is quite good. Barney has enough trouble teaching the big uglies upfront, I believe trying to teach good screen/shovel blocking would be over the top for the guy.

We didn't run many screens this year because Taylor struggles with touch on screen passes. The few we tried were batted down or looked horrible, our playbook was very limited this year.

Horrible excuse. If you have a QB who cant throw a screen pass, he shouldnt be a QB. It's one of the most basic passing plays in the book. Ive seen Martinez throw with touch. Watch all those long touchdown passes to Kyler Reed

seriously, I was the coach of my little brother's pop warner team for a couple years when I was in HS...they were 5th and 6th graders. We ran TWO different kinds of screens. it's pretty simple to execute. but to do it amazingly takes a little bit of savvy. but just to have a couple screens, that's standard

seriously, I was the coach of my little brother's pop warner team for a couple years when I was in HS...they were 5th and 6th graders. We ran TWO different kinds of screens. it's pretty simple to execute. but to do it amazingly takes a little bit of savvy. but just to have a couple screens, that's standard

There is literally a ton of stuff you can run in pop warner that you might find is less easy to do unless extremely well installed, at the D1 level. I mean, really now. The demand for execution and scheme is just not on the same order of magnitude.

We didn't run many screens this year because Taylor struggles with touch on screen passes. The few we tried were batted down or looked horrible, our playbook was very limited this year.

Horrible excuse. If you have a QB who cant throw a screen pass, he shouldnt be a QB. It's one of the most basic passing plays in the book. Ive seen Martinez throw with touch. Watch all those long touchdown passes to Kyler Reed

Thank you for an informed explanation jliehr.

wilby, that and a million other things would be arguments for Taylor not being QB. Can't read defenses, can't do pre-snap reads, no pocket sense, poor mechanics, can't throw on the run, etc, etc, etc. Taylor has all these weaknesses but makes up for it with his threat to take off and run. That is the entire premise of Taylor starting this year and while he has improved in other categories, he is still predictably inconsistent. I hope the light comes on in the offseason because he would be VERY dangerous.

This may just be a personal feeling, but I hate WR screens, bubble screens, etc.

If we are going to run a screen, I prefer it to be a pass to the running back out of the back field.

This.

All game I was begging for some screens to the RBs to counter an OU D that was pinning its ears back and blitzing with reckless abandon. It's not rocket science. It's pretty obvious to anyone that understands football.

Just imagine Helu, with his blazing speed, catching a screen pass in open space with a couple of lineman leading a convoy. That's most likely a touchdown or enough yards to get Henery in FG range.