Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

As I said before, the administration completely butchered their response to the A&M fiasco.

I've been busy last few weeks and have missed some things. What A&M fiasco? The officiating?

He's referring to Perlman publicly admonishing Pelini after the A&M game for his sideline behavior, instead of handling it in private.

While we now have advanced to this topic within this thread.... I would like to add that although I DIDN'T agree with how much Bo allowed himself to get out of control..... I think Pearlman's reaction was "bush league". What a dumba$$..... You DO NOT call out your HC in public... If you have a concern, you are waiting at his office Monday morning or even Sunday... Not releasing a statement on ESPN....Douche'

Pearlman needs to look around and see how other chancellors at Big Time universities act and interact with their high-profile coaches.

If I was Bo, I would march right into his office with possible "offer" from Miami, and say....look, I am staying at NU...but I CAN and WILL leave at ANYTIME unless.....You worry about the Engineering College and let ME worry about the football team...FINAL !!

Two sources in the NU athletic department say Pelini felt betrayed by Perlman's admonishment of the coach's behavior at Texas A&M on Nov. 20. Perlman called Pelini's outburst “unfortunate'' and added “we'll have to address it'' with him.

I don't know that I agree with this type of thing getting dragged out into the open in a news article. Should belong in the realm of message board innuendo, IMO.

Michelle Kaufmann, Miami beat writer, latest tweet...

@kaufsports

#Pelini denies he's "preparing to interview'' at #UM. True. Because he already chatted with UM & apparently isn't interested. Coach-speak.

Pretty much.

Sipple's tweet on his Twitter account also gave a bit of a clue why this was even entertained by Bo.

I'm going to backpedal a bit here. One thing I hadn't thought of was Bo wanting this angle of it to get out there. Sipples' tweet

I personally don't think the Perlman situation has much of anything to do with this rumor. I believe it's entirely possible that Bo was upset about Perlman's public comments, but Bo's response wouldn't be to involve the media and the rumor mill to hold anyone's feet to the fire. He'd go and talk to Perlman about it one on one.

I can understand why Bo would feel slighted by the public statements of Harvey and Tom after the A&M game, but setting emotions aside, I think you have to ask if they really had a choice in the matter. The national backlash against Bo's behavior was quickly becoming a firestorm that reflected badly on NU. When the truth of Carl's camera-grabbing incident came out, it could very well have tempted the Big-12 to stick their noses in the situation. That would have been a mess of an entirely new degree.

Harvey's rebuke, though understandably tough for Bo to swallow, helped to diffuse the situation and probably headed-off any attempt by the Big-12 to stick it to Bo and/or Carl. A discussion with Bo in private only would not have done much to ease the media heckling that was going on.

• Fire 1

I can understand why Bo would feel slighted by the public statements of Harvey and Tom after the A&M game, but setting emotions aside, I think you have to ask if they really had a choice in the matter. The national backlash against Bo's behavior was quickly becoming a firestorm that reflected badly on NU. When the truth of Carl's camera-grabbing incident came out, it could very well have tempted the Big-12 to stick their noses in the situation. That would have been a mess of an entirely new degree.

Harvey's rebuke, though understandably tough for Bo to swallow, helped to diffuse the situation and probably headed-off any attempt by the Big-12 to stick it to Bo and/or Carl. A discussion with Bo in private only would not have done much to ease the media heckling that was going on.

I understand where you're coming from but if you revisit the timeline of media stories that were written from that weekend on, Perlman's public disapproval of Pelini gave the national media more ammo to pitch in their own 2 cents on the matter. Immediately after the game, no one outside of Texas and Nebraska was blowing up Pelini's sideline antics into headline news on a national scale. Once Perlman went public on Sunday afternoon, national writers were lining up just to pile it on.

Sure, maybe the Big 12 would've reprimanded Bo had Perlman not done so, but then again, maybe not? We'll never know. But I think Bo would've rather been publicly reprimanded by Beebe than his own administration.

If the explanation for this whole thing is "Bo wanted to ruffle Perlman's feathers," I have lost a little respect for Bo.

There are ways to express displeasure with your Administration without throwing your fans under the bus as well. I would expect the Head Coach of the University of Nebraska to know that.

There have been a lot of things that Bo has been getting a pass on during his first three years. Once it sinks in to the fans that he may have just been jerking them around, or if it comes out that he actually talked to Miami about their coaching position, things will be different for him.

I would imagine we can officially put an end to the "Honeymoon Period" of the Bo Pelini Era at Nebraska.

Here's the problem though, Bo hates the media. I mean, hate is an understatement. He knows how vicious they can be with their stories in attacking players, coaches and whomever else. This is one reason why Bo is so quick to defend ANYONE around his football program when they are being blasted in the media. To him, his football players and coaches are off limits from criticism and will defend them to the end in the media, and he has done so the entire time he has been here.

And that is a bit of the problem - while Bo has been so quick to defend anyone in his program, you have folks inside our administration that were quick to go to the press against him.

TBH, this story was not a national one. Some local B12 writers were talking about it, but not until Perlman made a public statement did the national media pick up on it. And why would they not when a Chancellor of a University has tough criticism of a HC?

The other issue was that there were MUCH bigger issues for us in that ballgame, namely the officiating. Instead of our administration sticking up for our players and coaches, our administration made the issue about us and took what spotlight should have been on the officiating and put it directly on our HC.

I do not blame Bo in the least for being upset. Heck, if I was even a player I would be ticked off at the administration for the way they handled it.

And even if the officiating wasn't the case, when you have a coach who takes so much heat off of other coaches and players on a consistent basis, our administration should bite the bullet and pay the man the same courtesy. So what if some heat goes on you as a result? BFD. The courtesy of that will go a LONG ways to develop a sense of loyalty with Bo, but instead they basically stabbed him in he back.

I understand where you're coming from but if you revisit the timeline of media stories that were written from that weekend on, Perlman's public disapproval of Pelini gave the national media more ammo to pitch in their own 2 cents on the matter. Immediately after the game, no one outside of Texas and Nebraska was blowing up Pelini's sideline antics into headline news on a national scale. Once Perlman went public on Sunday afternoon, national writers were lining up just to pile it on.

Sure, maybe the Big 12 would've reprimanded Bo had Perlman not done so, but then again, maybe not? We'll never know. But I think Bo would've rather been publicly reprimanded by Beebe than his own administration.

+1

Bo has a right to be angry with that treatment he got, but just to play Devil's advocate, the university had a right to be angry with Bo, too. Two wrongs don't make a right. If Bo was playing a media game here to communicate something to Harvey and Tom, he did it in a way that hurt us and isn't likely to win him a lot of fans. Which I suppose he could care less about, but c'mon, recruiting impact and creating a distraction where none was needed.

Sounds like any contact he had with the Miami AD was harmless, but Bo sure let the speculation run wild. If Bo has a problem with his superiors, that's his right and I can't argue with it. But he is making the same mistake that his superiors made when they had a problem with him - which is choosing not to handle it internally. Well, I don't know. Maybe he did let Harvey know how not cool any of that was, but he doesn't have to feel like he wants everyone to know he was wronged here.