Big Ten Division Name Change

I'm still pushing for Frontier/Horizon. Both would still satisfy the Big10 desire to recognize the history of the conference (Frontier) but still look to the future (Horizon).

Sorry but there is already a Frontier League (Minor League Baseball, I believe) and Horizon League is a Division I basketball conference.

I would just like them to go with their second option. I want to see how bad that was.

Pimps and Hoes, We're in the pimps division of course

Seriously though, I think someone brought up Stars and Stripes before, I would like something like that. Something to honor our service men/women would be awesome.

Honor/Sacrifice

Glory/Honor

Courage/Sacrifice I like the best I think.

And you don't have to try and explain it and make it sound good to anyone. Just have to say we want to honor the service men/women who courageously put their lives on the line and sacrifice everything for our freedom.

Don't think you'll hear any laughing from ESPN on that!!!!!

Seriously though, I think someone brought up Stars and Stripes before, I would like something like that. Something to honor our service men/women would be awesome.

Honor/Sacrifice

Glory/Honor

And you don't have to try and explain it and make it sound good to anyone. Just have to say we want to honor the service men/women who courageously put their lives on the line and sacrifice everything for our freedom.

I would just hear laughing from every single one of my friends, and my dad (who put in over 30 years in the military).

"The Big 10 'Sacrifice' is weak this year, but the 'Courage' division has 4 top 25 teams." I don't know how I could listen to something like that with a straight face.

• Fire 1

Honor/Sacrifice

Glory/Honor

I would just hear laughing from every single one of my friends, and my dad (who put in over 30 years in the military).

"The Big 10 'Sacrifice' is weak this year, but the 'Courage' division has 4 top 25 teams." I don't know how I could listen to something like that with a straight face.

It's not about how well the teams do, it's about naming the divisions in honor of our servicemen/women. It has nothing to do with how good the teams do, you are showing respect to our military. The names would have nothing to do with the teams, where they are located, what they do or grow in their region, it would be purely on respect being showed to those who are giving the most for our country and freedom. Sounds like the best reason I've heard thus far.

I'm still pushing for Frontier/Horizon. Both would still satisfy the Big10 desire to recognize the history of the conference (Frontier) but still look to the future (Horizon).

Sorry but there is already a Frontier League (Minor League Baseball, I believe) and Horizon League is a Division I basketball conference.

I would just like them to go with their second option. I want to see how bad that was.

I'm confident Legends is used somewhere as well, doesn't mean the Big10 can't use it. Besides, it would be Big10 Frontier, and Big10 Horizon. How many east/west, north/souths are there? If we have to vet every option by searching through the little league media guides in Rhode Island we're going to end up with some crappy division name like "leaders". In this case, the Big10 swings the biggest dick...sorry Minor League Baseball.

Yes. For all the talk of it not being geographical, throw up a map of the states (as miami did in a previous thread) and it's pretty strikingly not randomly distributed across the map. Ah, here's a map, from HI. Non geographic split? C'mon, Big Ten guys...did you even look at the map first?!

bigten.jpg

Nope. Not geographical at all. No logical North/South OR East/West split there.

They need to go with the regions, Midwestern and Mid-Atlantic.

Yes. For all the talk of it not being geographical, throw up a map of the states (as miami did in a previous thread) and it's pretty strikingly not randomly distributed across the map. Ah, here's a map, from HI. Non geographic split? C'mon, Big Ten guys...did you even look at the map first?!

bigten.jpg

11 of 12 teams fit into a North and South scenario. I would say they just do that and say they may move the Wisc to the North to satisfy everyone.

Or say Wisc and NU may be switched and change places and that would be true North and South Divisions.

Honor/Sacrifice

Glory/Honor

It's not about how well the teams do, it's about naming the divisions in honor of our servicemen/women. It has nothing to do with how good the teams do, you are showing respect to our military. The names would have nothing to do with the teams, where they are located, what they do or grow in their region, it would be purely on respect being showed to those who are giving the most for our country and freedom. Sounds like the best reason I've heard thus far.

Okay, you totally missed my point. I understand that the names are in honor of servicemen; they will still be referred to as "up" or "down" or "good" or "bad" divisions depending on how the teams do just like people say "The SEC West is dominating this year". I understand that you think they would show respect to the military; everyone I know would laugh at the names (including former service members that I know). I understand that the names are in honor of those who serve; I think these names aren't a good idea. I understand that they would be named in respect of the military; sounds like not my favorite idea so far.