Big Ten Division Name Change

It's pretty tough to argue with North/South. Besides one team it is perfectly split.

It doesn't make sense to name them geographically!

Wisconsin and Penn State in the South (two cities further north than Nebraska), while Nebraska is in the South? Not to mention Lincoln is nearly the same distance North as Columbus and West Lafayette!

They need to go with the regions, Midwestern and Mid-Atlantic.

Yes. For all the talk of it not being geographical, throw up a map of the states (as miami did in a previous thread) and it's pretty strikingly not randomly distributed across the map. Ah, here's a map, from HI. Non geographic split? C'mon, Big Ten guys...did you even look at the map first?!

bigten.jpg

Dem States with a purdy lil' blue flag division.

Dem States with a purdy lil' red flag division.

DSWPLBFD and DSWPLRFD for short

It's pretty tough to argue with North/South. Besides one team it is perfectly split.

Wisconsin and Penn State in the South (two cities further north than Nebraska), while Nebraska is in the South? Not to mention Lincoln is nearly the same distance North as Columbus and West Lafayette!

Does it really matter?.....Big 10 doesn't make sense with 12 teams............How about current leaders are called "Not Texas" Legends are called "Still not Texas"

Who wants to tell me why the new Big Ten logo has a random 1 that replaces the I? It'd make sense if it was still just 11 teams and the 1 meant Big Ten + 1. But I'm just confused on this one.

The I resembles a 1 and the G resembles a 0. "B10". I think it's a sweet touch. Subtle, not cleverness for cleverness' sake, and nicely done.

Correct me if I am wrong here but I think that Lincoln is a SMIDGE further north than Penn State. Oddly enough. I looked up the geographical numbers. Lincoln is 40° 48' 0" N and Penn State is 40° 32'24'' N, or 40.8 vs 40.5. (Higher = more north). You can sort of see it from the map.

I get that the split was philosophically not geographical, but it's how the cards fell and the less florid the names, the more practical they are to use.

Who wants to tell me why the new Big Ten logo has a random 1 that replaces the I? It'd make sense if it was still just 11 teams and the 1 meant Big Ten + 1. But I'm just confused on this one.

The I resembles a 1 and the G resembles a 0. "B10". I think it's a sweet touch. Subtle, not cleverness for cleverness' sake, and nicely done.

Correct me if I am wrong here but I think that Lincoln is a SMIDGE further north than Penn State. Oddly enough. I looked up the geographical numbers. Lincoln is 40° 48' 0" N and Penn State is 40° 32'24'' N, or 40.8 vs 40.5. (Higher = more north). You can sort of see it from the map.

I get that the split was philosophically not geographical, but it's how the cards fell and the less florid the names, the more practical they are to use.

Im actually very surprised by this haha, it looked from the map that Penn State was further North