Big Ten Division Name Change

How bout:

The division formerly known as Leaders & The division formerly known as Legends?

or

Orange Iguanas & Blue Barracudas

or

Guts & Global Guts

or

Double Dare & Wild and Crazy Kids

or

Salute Your Shorts & Hey Dude

Are You Afraid of the Dark & AHHHHH! Real Monsters

or

Pete & Pete

Ren & Stimpy

or

Rocko's Modern Life & Rugrats

THIS is why we ended up with Legends and Leaders. I imagine the Big10 meetings discussing the options would similar in dialog.

Bitter & Whiny.

Yes. For all the talk of it not being geographical, throw up a map of the states (as miami did in a previous thread) and it's pretty strikingly not randomly distributed across the map. Ah, here's a map, from HI. Non geographic split? C'mon, Big Ten guys...did you even look at the map first?!

bigten.jpg

Nope. Not geographical at all. No logical North/South OR East/West split there.

You can call it North/South, or Northwest/Southeast, or a number of other semi-geographical (but not cardinal direction) names that have come up. Aside from one outlier, all the blue dots are in one group and all the red dots are in another group. There isn't much of a jumble and no reason IMO not to call it North/South. Leaders and Legends are great slogans, though. Same applies to a lot of other suggestions; I just think it's hard to practically use 'creative' division names such as catchphrases, motivational words, or homages to people/ideas. There is just no natural split there.

On another note, while I dig the new Big 10 logo a lot, here's an alternative that looks pretty sweet:

anthonytscherne.jpg

I really like this one too. Notice the 12 little "stars" at the top of the shield. I think this is an excellent way to allude to 12 teams.

Ehh...no need for the 12 stars when you have the 12 logos of the schools.

I would think the 12 logos would be left off most of the time. Pretty hard to paint on the fields and courts.

True.

They need to go with the regions, Midwestern and Mid-Atlantic.

Yes. For all the talk of it not being geographical, throw up a map of the states (as miami did in a previous thread) and it's pretty strikingly not randomly distributed across the map. Ah, here's a map, from HI. Non geographic split? C'mon, Big Ten guys...did you even look at the map first?!

bigten.jpg

Northwest and Southeast Divisions.

A conference with 12 teams being called the Big 10 should have no problem with one team (Wisconsin) being out of place.

I had to look to see if someone had said this so I didn't post it again. Seriously though, Northwest is awful, just choose north or west.

They need to go with the regions, Midwestern and Mid-Atlantic.

bigten.jpg

With the map I could sure see a North/South split, but That would put us in the North Division again and I am definitely not for that. It didn't work the first time and I don't want to take any chances.

West/east?

How bout:

The division formerly known as Leaders & The division formerly known as Legends?

or

Orange Iguanas & Blue Barracudas

or

Guts & Global Guts

or

Double Dare & Wild and Crazy Kids

or

Salute Your Shorts & Hey Dude

Are You Afraid of the Dark & AHHHHH! Real Monsters

or

Pete & Pete

Ren & Stimpy

or

Rocko's Modern Life & Rugrats

THIS is why we ended up with Legends and Leaders. I imagine the Big10 meetings discussing the options would similar in dialog.

Bitter & Whiny.

Doug Funny and Patty Mayonaise

or

Ug-Lee and DonkeyLips