Watson a candidate for the Miami(OH) head coach position

C N Red

this is unbelievable...the hate some of you have manufactured for this man has now become a joke of epic proportions. Maybe he has had some issues, maybe he deserves a head coaching job, maybe some of you know nothing about coaching football at even the high school level let alone major D1 programs.

For Christ sake, EVERY offensive coordinator (that isn't also Head Coach) is in the booth. YOU CAN'T SEE THE DEFENSE FROM THE SIDELINES. Especially what the secondary is running. Those Head Coaches that do call the plays have somebody in the booth relaying information to them, that would be why they have the fancy headsets on. Believe it or not those are not connected to iPods. Frank Solich was this person for Tom Osborne.

Seriously gentlemen. It is fine to have an opinion, but at least have some valid reasons, this pretending that you can infer his intention to "stay in his comfort zone" by his "refusal to come down from the booth" is astronomically asinine.

Now the QB coach comment has some validity. Very few places give the QB coaching duties to the OC alone, they have a second coach on the sideline to coach the QB during games. I guess that was Zac Lee this year? This could be a problem.

Who the hell are you?

We've been posting SW's depressing statistics by the barrel full for about a year. So "now" you come in thumping your chest claiming anybody who isn't impressed with our miserable offensive performances doesn't even know high school football?

I'll tell you what, genius......boatloads of "valid" numbers and statistics have been posted here over & over again and most posters simply don't need to see them again (and again and again). The numbers don't lie and many of us are ready for a change. That's all.

What is "unbelievable" is an pompous, obnoxious, blowhard poster who just can't understand why many are ready for a change. Did you watch NU cfb this year? Last year? Maybe the joke of epic proportions is precisely....you.

GET READY Do not be surprised if Watson is gone at end of season!!!! I will use a word that got me crucified SOURCE

Tim Beck will be our OC next season. I am somewhat confident in saying that.

I really think that Watson got the job at Miami (OH).

A few rumors flying that Don Treadwell(Mich St OC) has taken the Miami(OH) job. Rumors of course, we'll see soon enough

I'm hearing this too. What will Bo do now???

My guess Watson stays with a very short leash.

this is unbelievable...the hate some of you have manufactured for this man has now become a joke of epic proportions. Maybe he has had some issues, maybe he deserves a head coaching job, maybe some of you know nothing about coaching football at even the high school level let alone major D1 programs.

For Christ sake, EVERY offensive coordinator (that isn't also Head Coach) is in the booth. YOU CAN'T SEE THE DEFENSE FROM THE SIDELINES. Especially what the secondary is running. Those Head Coaches that do call the plays have somebody in the booth relaying information to them, that would be why they have the fancy headsets on. Believe it or not those are not connected to iPods. Frank Solich was this person for Tom Osborne.

Seriously gentlemen. It is fine to have an opinion, but at least have some valid reasons, this pretending that you can infer his intention to "stay in his comfort zone" by his "refusal to come down from the booth" is astronomically asinine.

Now the QB coach comment has some validity. Very few places give the QB coaching duties to the OC alone, they have a second coach on the sideline to coach the QB during games. I guess that was Zac Lee this year? This could be a problem.

Who the hell are you?

We've been posting SW's depressing statistics by the barrel full for about a year. So "now" you come in thumping your chest claiming anybody who isn't impressed with our miserable offensive performances doesn't even know high school football?

I'll tell you what, genius......boatloads of "valid" numbers and statistics have been posted here over & over again and most posters simply don't need to see them again (and again and again). The numbers don't lie and many of us are ready for a change. That's all.

What is "unbelievable" is an pompous, obnoxious, blowhard poster who just can't understand why many are ready for a change. Did you watch NU cfb this year? Last year? Maybe the joke of epic proportions is precisely....you.

Numbers have been posted in both directions, numbers have been posted that showed that Tom Osborne had similar troubles early on in his coaching career against OU and other good teams. Our offense put up nearly identical numbers to the 2009 Oregon team, which most would consider a very good offense. It's been shown that until Taylor got injured, we had a top 10 offense, yes it dropped off after Taylor played hurt, but is that really unexpected?

Watson is a very good OC, he is very likely moving on after this year, but he is and was very much a part of the rebirth of Husker football over the past 3 years. He deserves more than to be trashed by a bunch of people that really have no clue about what is really going on, and won't be happy until Tom Osborne is back at the helm of our offense.

I guess my question, for the fans that want Watson around, would be this. What has he done to make you want him around? I am not a Watson hater but I do think he is average at best, especially when he plays a defense with a pulse.

In 2008 the offense carried the defense, in 2009 the defense carried the offense, in 2010 the offense for the most part carried the first 1/2 of the year, does everyone remember the posts about Martinez being a fringe Heisman candidate? Talks about getting into the title game? People talking about how horrible our defense was against the run and how bad the OL was at getting pressure? Yet all people remember are a few games where we struggled to score this year, and several of them were when we had a injured freshman quarterback. You can talk about 2009 all you want, but Pelini has came out and said he thought he held the offense back too much.

Watson has done some good things at Nebraska, 2008 was solid, and despite a few tough games, 2010 was a pretty good offensive year also. I'm excited to see what Martinez could do in a second year in this evolving scheme in the Big Ten, I think he's earned at least 1 more year.

I do however, wish that Gilmore would find another job, we'd move Brown to cover WR and TE and bring in a QB coach that could help in this offense.

I guess my question, for the fans that want Watson around, would be this. What has he done to make you want him around? I am not a Watson hater but I do think he is average at best, especially when he plays a defense with a pulse.

In 2008 the offense carried the defense, in 2009 the defense carried the offense, in 2010 the offense for the most part carried the first 1/2 of the year, does everyone remember the posts about Martinez being a fringe Heisman candidate? Talks about getting into the title game? People talking about how horrible our defense was against the run and how bad the OL was at getting pressure? Yet all people remember are a few games where we struggled to score this year, and several of them were when we had a injured freshman quarterback. You can talk about 2009 all you want, but Pelini has came out and said he thought he held the offense back too much.

Watson has done some good things at Nebraska, 2008 was solid, and despite a few tough games, 2010 was a pretty good offensive year also. I'm excited to see what Martinez could do in a second year in this evolving scheme in the Big Ten, I think he's earned at least 1 more year.

I do however, wish that Gilmore would find another job, we'd move Brown to cover WR and TE and bring in a QB coach that could help in this offense.

And yet here we sit in the same bowl game with the same conference outcome now that we've "unleashed" the offense. I can't stand it. Three points ties the B12 championship game.

And yet here we sit in the same bowl game with the same conference outcome now that we've "unleashed" the offense. I can't stand it. Three points ties the B12 championship game.

And Bo's defense holding a 3 possession lead wins it, point?

The point is your Watson led offense got SHUT OUT the 2nd half of that game. The Big 12 Championship game. ZERO points...

Which of these is a more realistic expectation:

A: The offense of a ranked team score 3 - 6 points in a half of conference play.

B: The defense of a ranked team hold the opposing team to 0 points in a half of conference play.

In my opinion, A is a very reasonable expectation and actually seems to be on the low end of the scoring curve. B is rare even against poor teams. It is not reasonable to expect and/or (especially) to plan a game around your defense holding an opponent to 0 points for any significant length of time, especially an entire half. If you depend on your defense keeping opponents scoreless for 30 minutes in order to win games, your offense is TERRIBLE. It is, however, reasonable to expect that your offense can produce a steady stream of points throughout the game-- the question should be whether it comes in 3s or 7s-- this is especially true when we have the talent that we have on the offensive side of the ball. Given our line, receivers, and running backs, I'd bet that 85% of OCs in our division could have produced more points in our losses this year. Just watch the O move the ball out of the Wildcat against OU. It was very productive and reliable. Then what happened? Someone decided to change things up, pull Burkhead, and put Martinez back in to return to exactly what had been failing all night.

GET READY Do not be surprised if Watson is gone at end of season!!!! I will use a word that got me crucified SOURCE

Tim Beck will be our OC next season. I am somewhat confident in saying that.

I really think that Watson got the job at Miami (OH).

We can kiss any chance of getting Bubba good bye then

Oh, undoubtedly.

I'm thinking that once Bubba gets a check from whatever MLB team drafts him, we won't see him on campus. Less than a 1% chance, regardless of what was said in the OWH article from Sunday. Well, unless he washes out in baseball and comes back when he is 25, ala Weeden and that FSU qb. I know if I were in that position, I would take the money and play baseball. Football and college can always be a solid backup plan.

Hopefully these rumors about the MSU assistant are NOT true. The last I heard, it was between Watsgrove and tOSU's assistant, but then again, things change.

Which of these is a more realistic expectation:

A: The offense of a ranked team score 3 - 6 points in a half of conference play.

B: The defense of a ranked team hold the opposing team to 0 points in a half of conference play.

In my opinion, A is a very reasonable expectation and actually seems to be on the low end of the scoring curve. B is rare even against poor teams. It is not reasonable to expect and/or (especially) to plan a game around your defense holding an opponent to 0 points for any significant length of time, especially an entire half. If you depend on your defense keeping opponents scoreless for 30 minutes in order to win games, your offense is TERRIBLE. It is, however, reasonable to expect that your offense can produce a steady stream of points throughout the game-- the question should be whether it comes in 3s or 7s-- this is especially true when we have the talent that we have on the offensive side of the ball. Given our line, receivers, and running backs, I'd bet that 85% of OCs in our division could have produced more points in our losses this year. Just watch the O move the ball out of the Wildcat against OU. It was very productive and reliable. Then what happened? Someone decided to change things up, pull Burkhead, and put Martinez back in to return to exactly what had been failing all night.

Nailed it. And it wasn't as if our offense was going against a top 10 defense. I think that OU's D was somewhere in the 50's.

Do we have to revisit the SDSU and Texas games, Watsgrove backers?

I thought OU's defense was in the mid 60's, I could be wrong.

I guess I would say this, How many times has the defense held opposing teams under their average point and yardage totals since Bo has been here?

Then I would say, how many times has Watsons offense been held under its point and yardage average when they play what is considered to be an average defense. I would say even a top half defense, in the nation, so what is that, about 1-64?

My thinking is that Bo's defense has done much better in this area then has Watsons offense. Even in the championship games the last two years. What did UT and OU average per game, about 35 points? Bo held them way under those totals.

I thought OU's defense was in the mid 60's, I could be wrong.

I guess I would say this, How many times has the defense held opposing teams under their average point and yardage totals since Bo has been here?

Then I would say, how many times has Watsons offense been held under its point and yardage average when they play what is considered to be an average defense. I would say even a top half defense, in the nation, so what is that, about 1-64?

My thinking is that Bo's defense has done much better in this area then has Watsons offense. Even in the championship games the last two years. What did UT and OU average per game, about 35 points? Bo held them way under those totals.

You can say the same thing about most offenses though, a good defense will usually stop a good offense.

The thing that is crap about the CCG, is that if we play for the FG and a tie, people criticize the coaches for not going for the win. They call a play and try to make a first down to go down and win the game and they are idiots. It's literally a no win situation.

Quick question, what was the #1 scoring defense in the Big 12? Missouri with 15.2 PPG, we put 31 on them, and probably could have hung more if we wanted.

Yes, the SDSU and Texas games had a healhy Taylor Martinez and our offense struggled to put points on the board. But then again, we scored more points against OSU, MU, Washington and K-State than any other team.

All of those schools played some pretty potent offenses during the year, Washington played Stanford and Oregon ( #1 and # 8 in scoring, NU scored more than both), K-State played OSU and Baylor (#3 and #29 in scoring, NU scored more than both), OSU played A&M, Tex. Tech, OU, Troy, Tulsa, KSU (#37, #34, #17, #27, #10, #25 in scoring, NU topped them all), MU played Illinois, KSU, San Diego State, A&M and Texas Tech (#34, #25, #20, #37, #34, again, NU topped them ALL)

So NU scored more on those 4 teams than some VERY good offenses, and outscored teams like Missouri, Florida, Georgia Tech, West Virginia...all teams that many would consider "better" offenses than Nebraska and Watson, and he did it with a redshirt freshman that was gimpy throughout most the last third of the year.