The offense I'd like to run is _____________

STOOBIE

what Alabama is running. Downhill running between the tackles. It limits the mistakes the QB can make. Throw in some play action and some 4 or 5 receiver sets with some screen passes.

Speaking of whatever happened to the jailbreak screen we used to run with Lucky/Burkhead?

We put a QB in that in practice this fall threw it two straight reps for a pick 6, so it came out of the playbook.

This. I got tired of all the crappy, predictable screen passes that we ran during the C@!!@$@n years. You remember, the ones that either got tackled for a loss or got pick-6'd. If we could sprinkle in 1 or 2 every now and then it would be ok, but I would hate to see it as a staple of this offense.

I'm cool with the spread option, which is what we've been moving towards. But I'd LOVE to see the Tom Osborne twist on that offense. If you watch that 1997 offense, especially what they did in the double wing set, I just can't imagine the possibilities if Tom Osborne had kept tinkering with his offense into the modern day, as the zone read came into prominence.

Well no kidding, of course it'd be great if TO would have stayed.

I don't think anyone will be happy until we have TO back calling plays, Milt coaching the line, Brown running the TE's and WR's, Gill coaching the QB's and Solich coaching the RB's again.

ill be happy when we have an offense that imposes its will. not one that we hope comes up with a crazy wrinkly every week to match up with an opponent and cover its own weaknesses.

what made the option/Tom's offense great wasnt exactly that no one else was doing it- it was that every time the other team lined up, they knew what they were getting. they were getting linemen and wide receivers that knew what they were doing and who were generally angrier than them, backs that would as soon run them over as run around them, and a qb who was smart enough to stay out of the way when he needed, or take charge when he should.

crowds cheered loudly every play at memorial, not just when it was some 60 yard scamper after watching the team punt 4 times, but because every play was going for 5-6-7 or so yards. how demoralizing that must have been to opposing teams.

thats what i really want. no more gimmicks. no matter how fun the wildcat is with rex, its a gimmick in the end. its not an offense. and going into the big 10 is as a good as time as ever to find a true identity and start lining guys up and mowing them down...with the same 3 plays if it has to be.

I might be a little old school, but I like the power run to open up play action pass as well. Beats down the other teams D and by 4th quater you can really open up on them. Only thing is that only works if you have a strong D as well so they can keep the game close until you wear out thier D. I will say also, a qwick moving, no huddle offence can wear out a big D line. So if you are going to a power run with a big strong D you need to have excellent line backers that can seal the edge and blitz with both qwickness and be strong enough to play with the opposing teams o line.

Now with all that said, I dont think there is a "better" way, you need to be able to do several different schemes well on both sides of the ball.

I think the rose bowl will demonstrate, these packages well. If WI's D can keep the game close, Wisky will pound TCU's D so bad, by the 4th you'll start seeing longer runs from Wisky, and when they crowd the line to stop it, they will get gashed with play action.

GOD I LOVE FOOTBALL

I would love to see the power I and utilize our strengths in the running game.

you need the athletes on the offensive line to run a power run game, we don't have them or they play with no consistency, take your pick.

agree halfheartedly...have you seen our o-line recruiting the past couple years? if we can find someone to coach these nuclear powered tanks we'll be just fine.

I just want a balanced offense. Period. Not run heavy, not pass heavy. Give me balance.

sounds good to me... but its like meeting the perfect chick or perfect plant for your yard... it just doesnt exsist

That's a good one.

Seems to lean one way or the other and if not your just a so so team. Speed and pass, qwick to score or pound and ground and keep thier offence off the field. Reminds of an ole two bulls are standing on top of the hill joke.

• Fire 1

I just want a balanced offense. Period. Not run heavy, not pass heavy. Give me balance.

sounds good to me... but its like meeting the perfect chick or perfect plant for your yard... it just doesnt exsist

That's a good one.

Seems to lean one way or the other and if not your just a so so team. Speed and pass, qwick to score or pound and ground and keep thier offence off the field. Reminds of an ole two bulls are standing on top of the hill joke.

a favorite. +1

by that joke, we had the very definition of an young bull offense this year. i want an old bull offense. f#*k em all, and with regularity. chuckleshuffle

Obviously Tom Osborne isn't coming back to coaching, but this (1997 Nebraska) is still my favorite scheme that I've seen at Nebraska. It'd have been so fun to watch it evolve over the last 13 years... Anyways, if you haven't seen this, check it out... It's a creative, unique, and very effective scheme... Anybody who said Osborne's offenses were boring just weren't paying attention.