Anyone here coach?

bigg10

Well my deal is, I am missing some disks in my back causing some nerve damage. My brother has always coached his boys, and prior to a divorce that put my boys 5 hrs away from me I was approached about coaching (little kids). So now that some things have to change in my life due to my physical problems, I am concidering volunteering to be an assistant coach for our local 3 and 4th grade football program. Anyone here have any experience doing something like this and how was the experience? I could also coach 5th and 6th graders. I think most people would love to do it but just dont have the time, but like I said that might not be an issue anymore for me. Sorry if this topic does'nt belong here. But I would greatly apprecieate any and all advice or responces.

Well my deal is, I am missing some disks in my back causing some nerve damage. My brother has always coached his boys, and prior to a divorce that put my boys 5 hrs away from me I was approached about coaching (little kids). So now that some things have to change in my life due to my physical problems, I am concidering volunteering to be an assistant coach for our local 3 and 4th grade football program. Anyone here have any experience doing something like this and how was the experience? I could also coach 5th and 6th graders. I think most people would love to do it but just dont have the time, but like I said that might not be an issue anymore for me. Sorry if this topic does'nt belong here. But I would greatly apprecieate any and all advice or responces.

I think that there are a few (maybe many) of us that coach... Some like myself, have coached HS football for a number of years. I have also coached jr. high and just started our "pop warner" from ground zero this year (3rd- 6th grade)....part of the deal, was as the HS coach, parents wanted me to help coach... we "broke" in a few first time coaches.

I believe others on the board are coaching youth, HS, and some at the college level.

I may not be the "best" on here for info, but I love to talk coaching. Just PM me and we can discuss as much coaching (pros-cons-etc) as you want.

We were asked at work (4 of us), by our Boss, to help coach a 3rd and 4th grade Pop Warner team this fall due to lack of parent involvement. All of us had had prior playing time and coaching, and even though we are all busy guys, I can say to a man that we had a blast! We went 4 and 4 with many first time players. What we found is that even though the Boss asked us to step up and help out, after a few practices and one game, we all really enjoyed coaching the smaller guys who had not yet formed attitudes about football (I am a quarterback, you must worship me). We found it to be a great community service project, and a great way to learn more about our co-workers...all in all, a great team building event. So much so, we are thinking about going at it again next season. I highly encourage it. Oh and by the way, none of us had kids on the team, so there was no "my kid is a running back" and so on.

Ive never coached football before, but I coach little league baseball. 13 and 14 year olds the last 3 years and a 9 year old select team this season. It is a very fullfilling feeling to see the kids succeed and know you had a part in that. Im sure coaching football feels the same as far as that goes. And since I don't have any kids, it keeps me busy and its fun at the same time. And I have some hott moms to look at! :corndance

Yes, I was in an accident that nearly ended my life 8 years ago. I was coaching prior to that and have continued after the accident ( I had back surgery two years later). I can tell you though, if you are experiencing any pain do to your physical ailment, coaching can exasrterbate the problem. You can become irritable rather easy :) if you are suffering some pain. Before I corrected the problem, I spent a few practices and games laying on the ground. I am almost 100 percent now, but there were a couple years where i became an A99Hole on a couple occasions, I liked to blame it on my Vicodine years. Good Luck

My dad and I coached 5th and 6th graders a few years back. He took care of the offense and I took care of defense. I can tell ya that while it's frustrating at times trying to keep the kids focused. It is a very rewarding experience especially when the light goes on in their heads and it all comes together.

When I lived in Texas I coached pee wee football for 9 years. PM me with any questions you have and I can sure try to answer them. First rule of thumb, get used to parents and especially dad's complaining about their kid's playing time and why they aren't the QB!

I live in Texas and have Coached for 10 years (5 as Head Coach) in our leagues down here, but stepped away 2 years ago ( they've been trying to get me back ever since). The first rule is correct above and the one thing that separated me from a lot of other coaches was I was there for the kids! You'll have fun and sometimes none, but when you see those little smiling faces.......you remember way you are there.

I've done 9th grade down to 4th grade 1st year contact. I quit the paid HS position to volunteer to help coach my son's team (I would finish practice at the HS, pick up my son and help out with his practice anyway) I enjoyed the volunteer 1st timers the most. At the end of year banquet the team's head coach praised my patience - it took 3 to 4 weeks for the first timers to "get it"

I refuse do the hard core film break down until 3 AM for the HS varsity coach. (and the first grade school league my son was in did film study!) I don't believe in the participation ribbon mentality, but I do feel that all players deserve some quality time in a game at the younger level. The stud in 6th grade might not grow/develop in HS or beyond. My son was the biggest baddest OL in grade school. By middle school he was the smallest OL on the team and getting pushed around. Didn't even try out for the HS team (and they won like 4 games total while he was in HS) I have seen young men that could have contributed to the HS program not go out for the team because they were so turned off of athletics because they did not get any positives in grade/middle school. Winning is important (the kids will keep score even if the adults "don't"), but developing skills and attitudes is more important.

And if you want to maintain your sanity, avoid girl sports.