When do we start to hold Dr. Tom accountable?

Dr. Tom as AD  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the hell....

We're going to hold TO accountable for...?

Winning 3 National Titles?

Hiring a coach that had one non-WINNING (7-7) season in six years, a trip to the National Championship game and a Heisman winner?

Firing a coach that had two LOSING seasons in 4 years?

Hiring a new coach that has won 9, 10, and 10 games in his first 3 years?

I don't understand where this thread is going. It's purely speculation that TO has ANYTHING to do with Watson STILL being here. He only suggested it for the transition to a new HC.

accurate post, the only one here.

Yeah, Frank is such a "damn good coach" he is still stuck at Ohio....the ones that wear green, not scarlet and grey!

I knew this would not be received well by many because it is impossible for them to seperate TO as HC and TO as AD, and forgot that sooo many people still wanted Frank as our HC...

Sorry for bringing it up!

Stuck at Ohio? I believe he has family ties or something and knows the state well. He's actually done quite well with that school as they have been in contention for the east division pretty much every year.

And what's this talk about separating TO from HC and AD? He didn't hire FS as an AD yet that's part of your argument...

Yeah, Frank is such a "damn good coach" he is still stuck at Ohio....the ones that wear green, not scarlet and grey!

I knew this would not be received well by many because it is impossible for them to seperate TO as HC and TO as AD, and forgot that sooo many people still wanted Frank as our HC...

Sorry for bringing it up!

Stuck at Ohio? I believe he has family ties or something and knows the state well. He's actually done quite well with that school as they have been in contention for the east division pretty much every year.

And what's this talk about separating TO from HC and AD? He didn't hire FS as an AD yet that's part of your argument...

I think thats where his roots are. I believe their is a story about him and another player hopping in a station wagon driving all the way down to Lincoln. It was unheard of in that day.... atleast from where he is from.

Lets face it at Solich's age he wont get a job at a bigger school. Im sure he is pretty content with that. He prob knew that after leaving Nebraska.

I don't buy the whole Osborne wants to keep Watson around and that is why Pelini hasn't fired him. I mean if that is the case, surely Osborne has to know Bo won't stay if he can't control his team the way he wants. Ultimately if Osborne had to choose to keep Watson or Pelini, it would be Pelini.

What the hell....

Winning 3 National Titles?

Hiring a coach that had one non-WINNING (7-7) season in six years, a trip to the National Championship game and a Heisman winner?

Firing a coach that had two LOSING seasons in 4 years?

Hiring a new coach that has won 9, 10, and 10 games in his first 3 years?

I don't understand where this thread is going. It's purely speculation that TO has ANYTHING to do with Watson STILL being here. He only suggested it for the transition to a new HC.

:yeah:yeah:yeah

What the hell....

Winning 3 National Titles? AS A COACH, WHICH I MENTIONED I WOULD NEVER QUESTION HIM AT

Hiring a coach that had one non-WINNING (7-7) season in six years, a trip to the National Championship game and a Heisman winner? YOU FORGOT TO MENTION, HE LEFT THE CUPBOARD EMPTY BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO RECRUIT OUT OF THE NEIGHBORING STATES

Firing a coach that had two LOSING seasons in 4 years? NO BRAINER

Hiring a new coach that has won 9, 10, and 10 games in his first 3 years? I LOVE THE RESULTS TO THIS POINT, BUT WEREN'T WE ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH TO GET A PROVEN HC

You also completely ignored the fact that after retiring because he saw the writing on the wall and the power shift going south, he got into a position of power and made a historical decision for the university to shift away from the south....

He retired after being our Head Couch fof 25 years. Its a stressful position and it takes its toll on a man. If I remember right two of TO's three NC's came at the expense of Florida schools, and two of TO's three NC's came at the expense of SEC schools. We beat Miami on their home field and absolutely dominated them in the fourth quarter. Spurrior's Florida team with the 'offence of the future' couldn't ever make it a game for one half. Two years later Scott Frost, who passed like a shot putter, led the Big RED to another one sided victory over Tennessee and Payton Manning. If there was any writing on the wall it was that Nebraska's future was bright. The big difference when he left as opposed to when Davaney left was that Davaney didn't leave he moved up to AD and Frank Solich was stuck with Peddy, who is still impressing people with his prowess as an AD at Pitt.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

You basically just made fun of God to most these people so I wouldn't expect a lot of support. I on the other hand think you have one good point. There is not one person that post on here that can tell you for FACT that go ole" Tommy Boy isn't letting Bo know his opinion on wether or not Watson should be kept or fired.

So if your boss that hired you tells you to do something you don't beleive may be the right choice, what do you do? Quit? Be Spineless? or risk everything and go against him? (be careful, some of you have already admitted you would lick the corns of his feet)

You got the dizzturbedNUfan part right.

T_O_B

:facepalm:

T.O. requested Watson be retained when Bo was hired, for one reason only... he thought changing both sides of the ball at once and making a wholesale change would be too disruptive to the program and set it back for alonger period of time and he is right. But, now that Bo has been here a while and has put his own imprint on the program, there is no way T.O. would prevent Bo from making changes if he wants to. T.O. has said on a couple of occassions that he might give his opinion or give some input if he is asked, but only then. He doesn't get involved in the decision making proccess beyond that or insert his opinion when not asked! I take the man at his word! How can anyone not?

I'm just curious to know when we are going to start holding Dr. Tom accountable...as an AD of course!

I never have nor will I ever question him as a coach and leader of young men. However, I will most certainly question him as an AD. There are a few topics which I would like to open for discussion:

1 - Didn't Dr. Tom request Watson to remain a part of the staff when he brought on Pelini?

2 - The more I look at the Big 10/Big 12 debacle the more I question his vision! He was very clear in the mid 90's that the power in football was shifting south, rightfully so!!! What is 4 or 5 going on 5 or 6 straight national titles from the SEC??? So then, why would he want to move to the rust belt? Before you say money and prestige, let me remind you, that when we were rolling right, no one cared how bad the Big 8 was, and we made plenty of money by winning! It is quite clear that winning the Legends division will be much more difficult than the North. I digress....

3 - Two words....Frank. Solich.

So whether or not you agree with me on the Big 10 move, what makes you want to keep Dr. Tom as the AD? I'm just curious what everyones' thoughts are since the topic has never been breached....

One of the reasons I would want to keep Dr. Tom as AD is that he's wicked smart. He thinks through things instead of making rash decisions. He knows the human condition, and knows how to motivate people to do their best. His character is above reproach as is his reputation. Those things are important when dealing not only with a football team but ALL of the sports he's responsible for. He also has his employees best interests at heart. The others have commented on #1. #2-Moving to the Big 10 was a brilliant move on NU's part. It wasn't just about sports-it was about what was best for the University as a whole. The educational plus that we will gain by moving to the Big 10 was alot more important than us moving the Huskers to the Big 10 conference. And the money-whoa baby! We will have significantly more money by moving to the Big 10 than we ever made by staying in the Big 8 (12). Tom tried to get the others to go his way when the Texas cancer came to the Big 8. He knew what would happen and he was right. Texas took over the Big 12 just like they did when they were in the SWC. Ask Arkansas.

As far as #3 is concerned, I wonder how we would've done had Frank stayed. I'm still bitter that Frank did what Pederson wanted him to-got rid of alot of staff that had been there for awhile and hired new people. We had just finished another good season. Then Pederson fired him. I remember how it not only shook up the NU community but also college football in general. If a coach could be fired after a 9-3 season who was safe?

That's my opinion.