Transition from college club sport to NCAA

Absolutely no chance UNL gets a hockey team when UNO's is so successful and competitive. Remember, they're both part of the University system, there is seriously no a chance in the world that they would be on board with that.

Thank you.

i would tend to agree in principle, but we've all seen crazier things happen. if the almighty dollar starts rearing its head and getting thrown around...never can tell what will happen. plus, there would be benefits to both schools having div one hockey programs. a lot of money is being spent around omaha to promote hockey in general. more rinks/kids/teams, more teams/kids/rinks...its a symbiotic relationship. both lincoln and omaha have shown they can, and will, support hockey, and that people are excited about it in general. there was a story in the weird herald not long ago that talked about the exponential growth of youths in nebraska taking up the sport.

and from fantasy land...how cool would hockey be in the coliseum???

As far as I know, Lincoln and Omaha are the only two places you will find legitimate interest in kids playing ice hockey leagues in the state. Could be wrong though.

i wasnt aware there was anything else to nebraska other than omaha and lincoln. doesnt colorado start west of lincoln? ;)

i believe there is a rink in kearney. i love the proliferation of ice hockey, because it can draw the money to set up new ice arenas...

my sister is on the US Speed Skating team. Once she showed any promise, at age 9, she moved to wisconsin to train. more ice equals more than just hockey for youths.

I think it is a good sign that PSU is finally stepping up and I could imagine (even though there is adamant response against it) that Nebraska starts to field a team in the near future (this could mean 10-20 yrs, or shorter) but it would make good sense for them to do a feasability study with the new Big Ten conference coming into play in the next few years which I beilieve will arguably be the best hockey conference in the nation (Min, MSU. UM, Wiscy, OSU ad soon to PSU--the first for mentioned are heavy weights in the sport and tOSU surprises once in while). Detrimental to two fine conference now that current Big Ten teams belong to, but this is how things start

A hockey rink is going to to built for Nebraska, the donation has been made it will be south of the new arena, just so all of you who have no clue know. The money was donated by an owner of a NHL team. The club team got this done about 2 years ago. It will have 2 rinks in the building and it will be UNL's.

Anyone heard anything further about this? I hope it's right. It's a shame that a city the size of Lincoln, chock full of college students, doesn't have a skating rink. Seems like there would be a huge demand for it once (if) it goes in.

I think it is a good sign that PSU is finally stepping up and I could imagine (even though there is adamant response against it) that Nebraska starts to field a team in the near future (this could mean 10-20 yrs, or shorter) but it would make good sense for them to do a feasability study with the new Big Ten conference coming into play in the next few years which I beilieve will arguably be the best hockey conference in the nation (Min, MSU. UM, Wiscy, OSU ad soon to PSU--the first for mentioned are heavy weights in the sport and tOSU surprises once in while). Detrimental to two fine conference now that current Big Ten teams belong to, but this is how things start

I dont think the response is of opposition to NU hockey, just doubt. Hockey costs a lot of money, and NU seems to have quite a few projects going on right now. It seems the Big10 is going to get this together and the Big10 network should make the Big10 one of the best hockey leagues. Not sure when NU gets involved if ever. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

I dont think the response is of opposition to NU hockey, just doubt. Hockey costs a lot of money, and NU seems to have quite a few projects going on right now. It seems the Big10 is going to get this together and the Big10 network should make the Big10 one of the best hockey leagues. Not sure when NU gets involved if ever. It will be interesting to watch this develop.

Yeah, I didn't mean opposition so much, just commenting on all the language that it will never happen b/c it would be detrimental to the other state school that currently fields a team (and from what I understand is quite good). Just that politics may come into play to not enable Nebraska to also field one with the fear that it will water down the current school. I'll tell you what though, a Big Ten hockey conference would arguably be (and I mean it would be hard for anyone to argue against it) the toughest hockey league in the country. The two current "toughest" hockey leagues possess teams from the Big Ten, put them together and oh man its a league.

Of course this depends on PSU hitting D1, which they will, and the other schools deciding to form their own Big Ten league, then add Nebraska. Solid hockey league no doubt.

As said earlier Minny, MSU, UM and Wiscy are no joke when it comes to hockey and tOSU once in a while sneaks in there.

Absolutely no chance UNL gets a hockey team when UNO's is so successful and competitive. Remember, they're both part of the University system, there is seriously no a chance in the world that they would be on board with that.

Thank you.

i would tend to agree in principle, but we've all seen crazier things happen. if the almighty dollar starts rearing its head and getting thrown around...never can tell what will happen. plus, there would be benefits to both schools having div one hockey programs. a lot of money is being spent around omaha to promote hockey in general. more rinks/kids/teams, more teams/kids/rinks...its a symbiotic relationship. both lincoln and omaha have shown they can, and will, support hockey, and that people are excited about it in general. there was a story in the weird herald not long ago that talked about the exponential growth of youths in nebraska taking up the sport.

and from fantasy land...how cool would hockey be in the coliseum???

As far as I know, Lincoln and Omaha are the only two places you will find legitimate interest in kids playing ice hockey leagues in the state. Could be wrong though.

There is the Viaero Events Center here in Kearney where the USHL Tri-City Storm play at. There are youth and adult hockey leagues too.

Thank you.

And now you have made me do my research, because your wrong. Here you go

My link

And here is another one, gosh the University would never think of doing that....ooooo damn

My link

• Fire 1

Thank you.

My link

And here is another one, gosh the University would never think of doing that....ooooo damn

My link

nice work King

i have to say, after going to both games of Mavs VS Badgers at the Qwest...bring it on. There is absolutely no reason that both cities could not fill an arena apiece, or that either one would do the other harm. Thats like saying nebraska basketball hurts creighton hoops, or vice versa. Different schools after different athletes and different goals. Its ignorant.

--A WISCONSIN DE-COMMIT SCORED ONE OF THE GOALS SATURDAY NIGHT FOR THE MAVS--

You cant tell me 26,000 people total both nights back to back was helped by folks coming from across the state. Those numbers came from Omaha itself, plain and simple.

Nebraska would have no problem supporting 2 hockey teams, especially with one having the backing of the big 10. Both Omaha and Lincoln play "minor league" hockey, and the rivalry is fantastic...you folks realize that the Lancers and such are below div 1 hockey? That these kids are realistically playing for a scholarship? Thats already in Lincoln...why not a Div 1 program? This isnt football, folks.

Thank you.

My link

My link

I'm wrong?

Get off your high horse, Bird....

read your own article if you're going to be slamming other people for being "wrong". The following is taken directly from the article "Plans for hockey facility released"

There are no plans for Nebraska to field teams at the NCAA level.

Wow.. Really tough to read, isn't it? The article states that it will be used for the mens and womens club teams as well as for broomball and other campus rec activities. Like I said originally, the Board of Regents will not let it happen, because UNO has way too much success and it actually gives UNO a reason to operate outside of academics... Seriously, good "research" you did.

because there is a quote there that says the regents wont let it happen...

(there isnt)

come on havoc, your doing the exact same thing youre claiming he is.

a magical ice arena plan doesnt go up for sh#ts and giggles, or with at least the possibility in mind. And where the possibility lies for success, support, and perhaps black ink, it happens in the UNL athletic department. I shouldnt have to list the instances of this happening.

because there is a quote there that says the regents wont let it happen...

come on havoc, your doing the exact same thing youre claiming he is.

a magical ice arena plan doesnt go up for sh#ts and giggles.

I never claimed to do research proving someone wrong. Not doing the same thing.

The article clearly states that UNL isn't planning on fielding a hockey team, something that clearly points to it being true. And while Omaha and Lincoln both host USHL teams, so does Kearney. Why don't all three schools get NCAA teams? Hell, while were at it, since Lincoln and Omaha have such a great rivalry in sports, why don't we try to up the population of UNO and get all their sports programs up to D1? Afterall, that'd be a great rivalry, but it's not all about that....People that know more about how the inner workings of the athletic department have said that the chances the Board of Regents allows it would be slim to none. And it isn't for sh#ts and giggles. There are needs for a skating rink for the University for campus rec reasons as well as the club teams.

youre all over the map there.

and missing the point.

the point is, a division one hockey team for UNL is a possibility, one that grows with a DOUBLE rink being planned.

if this wasnt the way the system looked at it, then Haymarket would have never been built. Its the gears of progress. I dont understand why youre so negative towards it.

UNL vs UNO really has nothing to do with it in the end. They run separate athletic budgets. Thats the kicker.

if anything, the fact that there is a Division 1 hockey team so close, and multiple teams in our new conference, only bolsters the side that it could possibly happen. Im sure the Regent's would hate for there to be two premier programs of any sport in the same state. Its no mystery that UNO football will never be Nebraska St., like Michigan has Michigan St.

there are club hockey teams all over the country that dont have the perfect setup that the UNL club team is now staring right down the barrel at. One of my favorite shirts is an Arizona Hockey (Official Nike gear btw) T i got when i lived in Tucson. Drooling is what that program is doing over a situation that a club team like Nebraska's is currently staring at. Dont forget where UNO hockey started at...

if anything, the fact that there is a Division 1 hockey team so close, and multiple teams in our new conference, only bolsters the side that it could possibly happen. Im sure the Regent's would hate for there to be two premier programs of any sport in the same state. Its no mystery that UNO football will never be Nebraska St., like Michigan has Michigan St.

there are club hockey teams all over the country that dont have the perfect setup that the UNL club team is now staring right down the barrel at. One of my favorite shirts is an Arizona Hockey (Official Nike gear btw) T i got when i lived in Tucson. Drooling is what that program is doing over a situation that a club team like Nebraska's is currently staring at. Dont forget where UNO hockey started at...

I personally am not against it, I don't see it as a feasible option. Yes, the two schools run different athletic budgets, which is exactly WHY I don't see UNL getting an NCAA hockey team. Yes, the Big 10 has a lot of schools that have hockey, but the Big 10 itself isn't hockey. UNO, Minnesota, Wisconsin are all in one conference.. Michigan St, Michigan, and Ohio St are in another.. It's not a given that we will get hockey simply because other schools in the Big 10 have them. We are not a state that thrives simply off hockey, we have a ton of youth that play baseball as well. If we were 300 miles north of where we are, I think we could easily support 2 teams the way MN does with MNSU-Mankato and Minnesota. But the kids that go to UNO would eventually stop going there because UNL is a bigger, better school overall. It would absolutely kill the program.

also, I am not all over the place. I never once said there wasn't going to be a skating rink built, so your accusation still comes unfounded.. I have been in the same area the whole time.. I simply do not see an NCAA hockey team coming to UNL. When an article is posted saying that we're wrong for saying that because there is a skating rink being build, and that article specifically states there are no plans for UNL to field an NCAA hockey team, and I point that out, I don't see how I'm "all over the place."