Transition from college club sport to NCAA

We have a bunch of club sports at UNL——lacrosse, hockey, crew, etc. Now that we are moving into the Big 10 I’ve been wondering whether we’ll transition any of them to UNL varsity sports in the next few years. If a college fields a new sport——say hockey——surely it doesn’t start out in Division I playing the likes of Wisconsin and Minnestota. Or do they? It seems like it would take a long while to become competitive. Anyone think this might be likely? (to field a new sport at UNL, that is)

We have a bunch of club sports at UNL——lacrosse, hockey, crew, etc. Now that we are moving into the Big 10 I’ve been wondering whether we’ll transition any of them to UNL varsity sports in the next few years. If a college fields a new sport——say hockey——surely it doesn’t start out in Division I playing the likes of Wisconsin and Minnestota. Or do they? It seems like it would take a long while to become competitive. Anyone think this might be likely? (to field a new sport at UNL, that is)

I would like to see us get a hockey team. UNO does it and as far as I know, they do pretty well. I'm not sure what the plans are for the Bob once the arena goes up, but maybe they could do a rink in there?

I would like to see us get a hockey team. UNO does it and as far as I know, they do pretty well. I'm not sure what the plans are for the Bob once the arena goes up, but maybe they could do a rink in there?

Yeah, a hockey team at UNL would be great. The thing is, if we started an ncaa hockey team from our club team, would our guys play in the B10 right away? It would sure be tough sledding if we did.

btw, the NU club hockey team has a great website. http://www.huskerhockey.com/

Yeah, a hockey team at UNL would be great. The thing is, if we started an ncaa hockey team from our club team, would our guys play in the B10 right away? It would sure be tough sledding if we did.

btw, the NU club hockey team has a great website. http://www.huskerhockey.com/

IIRC, it's not the big 10 in hockey, but a different conference. Not that it's any different, still the same question.

I don't think the Bob is really set up for a hockey rink... not sure that's feasible. IMO the start-up costs plus the costs of adding another woman's sport to match the scholarships wouldn't make any sense. You'd be starting two more programs that would do nothing but lose more money. Hockey would be fun, but honestly there's not enough interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going off of memory here, but I believe if you make the jump it is all a matter of who you schedule. Sure could start playing Wisconsin and Minnesota (and MSU and UM and tOSU for that matter, all have good hockey teams). When UConn and UCF (or was it USF? can't remember) made the jump to D1 from the non-bowl division, in football, they started playing the big boys immediately. So it just matters how the program wants to schedule.

What would be nice is if Nebraska does start to field a hockey team is that the Big Ten would most likely start to play in conference, now they don't play in the conference (they play in two different hockey conferences right now http://www.mndaily.com/2010/09/17/big-ten-mens-hockey-league-now-likely). One of the big factors for fielding a mens' team in the NCAA is complying with Section 9, though. So if the scholarship equilibrium gets screwed up from moving a mens' club team to NCAA play, a womans' sport with scholarships would also need to be added (this is a big reason there are a multitude of mens club teams on college campuses--like rowing, football scholarships put the equilibrium way out of whack necessitating more womans' NCAA sports and shifting otherwise NCAA mens' teams to club).

I certainly could be wrong on this, but I think this is the workings.

A hockey rink is going to to built for Nebraska, the donation has been made it will be south of the new arena, just so all of you who have no clue know. The money was donated by an owner of a NHL team. The club team got this done about 2 years ago. It will have 2 rinks in the building and it will be UNL's.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely no chance UNL gets a hockey team when UNO's is so successful and competitive. Remember, they're both part of the University system, there is seriously no a chance in the world that they would be on board with that.

Thank you.

i would tend to agree in principle, but we've all seen crazier things happen. if the almighty dollar starts rearing its head and getting thrown around...never can tell what will happen. plus, there would be benefits to both schools having div one hockey programs. a lot of money is being spent around omaha to promote hockey in general. more rinks/kids/teams, more teams/kids/rinks...its a symbiotic relationship. both lincoln and omaha have shown they can, and will, support hockey, and that people are excited about it in general. there was a story in the weird herald not long ago that talked about the exponential growth of youths in nebraska taking up the sport.

and from fantasy land...how cool would hockey be in the coliseum???

• Fire 1