Breaking down the Big Ten

We will win or division, the only real competition in our division is Michigan State. Iowa is losing everybody, Michigan will be breaking in a new coaching staff, Minnesota stinks, Northwestern is a decent team that will surprisem some people but IMO we are better.

:yeah

Except I think the team that could challenge us is Northwestern not Michigan State. Their QB Persa is a stud and so is Dunsmore. I think the division is ours to lose.

We will win or division, the only real competition in our division is Michigan State. Iowa is losing everybody, Michigan will be breaking in a new coaching staff, Minnesota stinks, Northwestern is a decent team that will surprisem some people but IMO we are better.

Not if we continue to play like the last 4 games we won't. We aren't in the North divison anymore. As long as Watson still calling plays i can't be optimitic. Our new division is much more balanced than we have faced before.

This is the mantality that we need to purge from Nebraska fans' minds. You mean to tell me that the Big Ten is THAT much better than us? Not a chance. We did not have a single give me game last year either and we won ten games and lost four by a total of 20 points. There is not a single team in the Big Ten next year that is better than us. We win our division because we are the best returning team in that division.

This is the mentality of husker fans who think we will waltz right into the Big Ten and start owning them. I'm not saying we won't win the division just caution against over optimism. We almost lost to Iowa St, they aren't good at all. So we will with no hesitation beat Ohio St, Penn St, and Wisconsin? can you pass the weed so i can smoke what you are smoking?

First of all, those 4 games we lost, we might have only lost by 20 points, but in those four games, outside of the Big XII title game, did we look remotely competitive??

If we lost 3 games in conference next year, I would not be suprised. Two of those losses will probably be to Ohio St/Wisc/Mich St, and that wouldn't shock me. The third loss will be one of those that just baffles all of us.

I'll respond to the both of you here:

Husker_99 - Sure, we almost lost to ISU with our non-starting QB who was playing with a concussion. Let's do a rundown of our Schedule:

Iowa - LOST to a school that employs Kevin Cosgrove. I am very sorry, but that is much worse than ALMOST losing to ISU

Michigan State - beat one team that had more than 7 regular season wins

Wisconsin - They lose a lot. An OC, a good RB, a QB that managed their offense very well.

Ohio State - This will be Pryor's first game back. Anyone who has played knows that your first game in the season isn't always the greatest.

Minnesota - You claim that we are "no longer in the Big 12 North so we don't have any easy games" but yet fail to realize this team is on the schedule.

Northwestern = Kansas MAYBE K-State where you have to play the game, but they will never be closer than arm's length.

Penn State - has not been relevant since Jo Pa turned 70. If you break down their roster as well, they were very senior dominated as well so they can't even use the youth excuse.

Michigan- breaking in a new coaching staff, could be improved, but we will see.

You can't tell me that if you put 2010's schedule down next to this one and say that is was that much inferior. You can't. If you think logically about it I bet that we have more people on this board that are of the same opinion. So I am not smoking anything. The Big Ten was not better than the Big Twelve in 2010.

walksalone -

Hm...

aTm - lost by three after a horrible roughing the passer call prolonged the game winning drive. I would call that competitive.

OU- you have excluded for me. I don't have to answer your question there.

Texas / Washington - We got beat. I wont deny that.

We were two or three plays away from winning every game that we lost. It was not that one team was much more talented than us. We beat ourselves every time that we lost. There are a number of reasons that that happened, none of which I will get into. But I love our chances in our division next year with the core of our staff and the changes that will be made sooner or later.

Not if we continue to play like the last 4 games we won't. We aren't in the North divison anymore. As long as Watson still calling plays i can't be optimitic. Our new division is much more balanced than we have faced before.

This is the mantality that we need to purge from Nebraska fans' minds. You mean to tell me that the Big Ten is THAT much better than us? Not a chance. We did not have a single give me game last year either and we won ten games and lost four by a total of 20 points. There is not a single team in the Big Ten next year that is better than us. We win our division because we are the best returning team in that division.

This is the mentality of husker fans who think we will waltz right into the Big Ten and start owning them. I'm not saying we won't win the division just caution against over optimism. We almost lost to Iowa St, they aren't good at all. So we will with no hesitation beat Ohio St, Penn St, and Wisconsin? can you pass the weed so i can smoke what you are smoking?

First of all, those 4 games we lost, we might have only lost by 20 points, but in those four games, outside of the Big XII title game, did we look remotely competitive??

If we lost 3 games in conference next year, I would not be suprised. Two of those losses will probably be to Ohio St/Wisc/Mich St, and that wouldn't shock me. The third loss will be one of those that just baffles all of us.

Husker_99 - Sure, we almost lost to ISU with our non-starting QB who was playing with a concussion. Let's do a rundown of our Schedule:

Iowa - LOST to a school that employs Kevin Cosgrove. I am very sorry, but that is much worse than ALMOST losing to ISU

Wisconsin - They lose a lot. An OC, a good RB, a QB that managed their offense very well.

Ohio State - This will be Pryor's first game back. Anyone who has played knows that your first game in the season isn't always the greatest.

Minnesota - You claim that we are "no longer in the Big 12 North so we don't have any easy games" but yet fail to realize this team is on the schedule.

Northwestern = Kansas MAYBE K-State where you have to play the game, but they will never be closer than arm's length.

Penn State - has not been relevant since Jo Pa turned 70. If you break down their roster as well, they were very senior dominated as well so they can't even use the youth excuse.

You can't tell me that if you put 2010's schedule down next to this one and say that is was that much inferior. You can't. If you think logically about it I bet that we have more people on this board that are of the same opinion. So I am not smoking anything. The Big Ten was not better than the Big Twelve in 2010.

So EZ-E you are telling me that playing Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, and Colorado is tougher than the Legends Division? I don't even think so. Ok so we play Minnesota? One team. Penn St was starting a freshman qb. Pryor may be starting the week we play them but to under estimate Ohio St. is a bad idea. Ok sure we beat Iowa St with our non starting qb but it's not like it was his first game or that he hadn't even started before for us. The Big 10 may not be better but the Big 12 South carries for more cache than the North has in the last 10 years. The south would be the sole reason why the Big 12 was better. It seems to me that a lot of people act like we just joined the WAC or C-USA. I'm not saying that we also joined the SEC but division wise we got a major upgrade. We had been beating the Big 12 North teams for so long there was never any competition to it anymore. they may got lucky a year or two but that was it. but let's go through our 2011 schedule:

September 3* Chattanooga W

September 10* Fresno State Toss up they play teams tough no matter what but probably a W

September 17* Washington Toss up will our team be inspired to play Wash for the 3rd time? W

September 24* at Wyoming W

October 1 at Wisconsin L

October 8 Ohio State L

October 22 at Minnesota W

October 29 Michigan State Toss up could be a L as well a W

November 5 Northwestern Toss up same as above

November 12 at Penn State L

November 19 at Michigan Toss up don't know how could the new coach will get Michigan ready

November 26 Iowa Toss up but probably a W

We could have a good record next year or easily a crappy record just depends on what Cornhusker team shows up like last year. I would say a crappy one if Watts is still OC. I have no faith in him whatsoever.

walksalone -

Hm...

aTm - lost by three after a horrible roughing the passer call prolonged the game winning drive. I would call that competitive.

OU- you have excluded for me. I don't have to answer your question there.

Texas / Washington - We got beat. I wont deny that.

We were two or three plays away from winning every game that we lost. It was not that one team was much more talented than us. We beat ourselves every time that we lost. There are a number of reasons that that happened, none of which I will get into. But I love our chances in our division next year with the core of our staff and the changes that will be made sooner or later.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm, but we'll probably be in the thick of our "division", but I still wouldn't be suprised if we lose 3 games in conference.

I hate to say this, but those "two or three" plays were a million miles away. Ok, outside of the A&M game, that is one of the four loses we had, that we were competitive.

Texas, was just a dumpster fire of biblical proportion. Should have beat them by at least two TD's, if the recieving corp hadn't decided to cover their hands in KY. OU was bad, if not worse. We were knocking the ass off of them for the first 25 minutes of that game. And the Udub game was the coup de grace of clusterf*cks.

If that happens again this upcoming season, then we're gonna be sitting here next year, in about the same spot we're in right now.

September 10* Fresno State W

September 17* Washington W (team will want revenge and it is here)

September 24* at Wyoming W (this is the one that could be tricky - but should still be a W)

October 1 at Wisconsin L (both teams will be up for this, Game Day will be there and home field pulls Wisky through in a probable night game)

October 8 Ohio State W (Nebraska won't drop both of the openers and you might end up with Game Day two weeks in a row given the historic nature of what is happening)

I might have them switched up - but I predict Nebraska will open 1-1

October 29 Michigan State W (This won't be a toss up. They were smoke and mirrors and their game style plays right into Nebraksa's strengths)

November 5 Northwestern W/L (I can't even predict this one. NW with Parsa is just all over the map and if you take them lightly they will bite you.)

November 12 at Penn State W/L (This and Michigan is another pair that I think Nebraska splits but I just don't know which will be which)

November 19 at Michigan See Penn State

November 26 Iowa I would bet 90% likely that the winner of this game ends up with at least a share of the division or the outright division winner and given my loyalties vs. the loyalties of this board I will forego picking a winner :)

Has everyone forgotten how we viewed the Big 10 before we found out that's where Nebraska was headed? Before the announcement last summer, I PROMISE you if I had put up a poll "How would Nebraska fare in the B10?" 90% would have said "they'd do extremely well because of the team speed and the B10 just isn't that good. Just look at bowl records, etc." Now that Nebraska's headed over there, you'd think they're the freakin SEC... I'm not saying it won't be tough, but 7-5??? Come on.

I 100% agree. We are Nebraska people. Ohio State is the only team that I feel has top to bottom better talent next season(and it's close), and their top 3 players have to come their 1st game back and beat us in Lincoln. I like our chances on the season.

There is not a single team in the Big Ten next year that is better than us. We win our division because we are the best returning team in that division.

Based solely off of what's returning, I am willing to say Wisconsin and Ohio State are definitely better.

Ohio State is better than us, but I'm with EZ when it comes to Wiscy. They are loosing alot of talent on both sides. The two backs they are returning are great players, but they will be breaking in a new QB, a whole new left side of their oline, and lost some key players on defense. So its more of a push with Wisconsin, IMO.

There is not a single team in the Big Ten next year that is better than us. We win our division because we are the best returning team in that division.

Based solely off of what's returning, I am willing to say Wisconsin and Ohio State are definitely better.

Ohio State is better than us, but I'm with EZ when it comes to Wiscy. They are loosing alot of talent on both sides. The two backs they are returning are great players, but they will be breaking in a new QB, a whole new left side of their oline, and lost some key players on defense. So its more of a push with Wisconsin, IMO.

QB - Neb

RB - Wisc

WR - Wisc

TE - Neb

O-Line - Wisc/Neb (they lose 2 All-Americans to the draft)

D-Line - Neb

LB - Neb

DB - Neb

So EZ-E you are telling me that playing Iowa St, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St, and Colorado is tougher than the Legends Division? I don't even think so. Ok so we play Minnesota? One team. Penn St was starting a freshman qb. Pryor may be starting the week we play them but to under estimate Ohio St. is a bad idea. Ok sure we beat Iowa St with our non starting qb but it's not like it was his first game or that he hadn't even started before for us. The Big 10 may not be better but the Big 12 South carries for more cache than the North has in the last 10 years. The south would be the sole reason why the Big 12 was better. It seems to me that a lot of people act like we just joined the WAC or C-USA. I'm not saying that we also joined the SEC but division wise we got a major upgrade. We had been beating the Big 12 North teams for so long there was never any competition to it anymore. they may got lucky a year or two but that was it. but let's go through our 2011 schedule:

September 10* Fresno State Toss up they play teams tough no matter what but probably a W

September 17* Washington Toss up will our team be inspired to play Wash for the 3rd time? W

October 1 at Wisconsin L

October 8 Ohio State L

November 19 at Michigan Toss up don't know how could the new coach will get Michigan ready

We could have a good record next year or easily a crappy record just depends on what Cornhusker team shows up like last year. I would say a crappy one if Watts is still OC. I have no faith in him whatsoever.

2010 Schedule

WKU

Idaho

SDSU

Washington

Kansas State

Texas

Okie State

Mizzou

Iowa State

Kansas

aTm

Colorado

OU

Washington

Look at the schedule that we played this past year. This was a tough schedule as well and don't tell me that the Big Ten schedule is that much better than this one. Because it is not. There are at least two teams on that schedule that would have been in the top two or three in the Big Ten if not the top spot in Okie State and OU.

I would be willing to bet that I have broken down the Big Ten schedule and what each team has returning more times than you have. Besides the returning freshmen QB that Penn State has, they were very senior dominated. It will be very tough for us to lose that game.

A lot of people don't know how the Big Ten works. The conference has their swings because they don't have too many kids leave early. That is especially true with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State. They get a group of seniors one year and they run with them. Wisconsin is graduating one hell of a senior class. Iowa is graduating well... A senior class. There is not a team that has as balanced of a roster in terms of talent as we do. We have out-recruited all but one team on our schedule next year. That I promise you.

QB - Neb

RB - Wisc

WR - Wisc

TE - Neb

O-Line - Wisc/Neb (they lose 2 All-Americans to the draft)

D-Line - Neb

LB - Neb

DB - Neb

Completely agree with Aspeedlin and Big Ern here. Wisconsin is not as balanced from class to class as we are.

You have to be on something pretty strong to think Michigan State was/will be a good team.. :facepalm:

We are better than everyone in our division.. by a lot, IMO

Wiscy will be tough as will tOSU.. If I'm predicting, I would guess a 10-2 regular season, but we have a chance at all of our games..

I can't imagine a 7-5 scenario.. who would we lose to?

We're going to end up 9-3 or if we're lucky 10-2.

Anything on either side of that, is a bit unrealistic at this point. Thinking we're going to rampage throught the Big 10 needs to stop the delusions of grandeur and those that think we'll only end up 7-5 need a dose of reality as well.

We'll do fine, and be in contention for the title game. With the addition of us to the conference, it's going to be a meat grinder, with not so much a conference champ, but a survivor.

Barring key injuries, Nebraska should have every opportunity to win the division. The offense definitely needs to improve, but people are forgetting what Martinez looked like when he was healthy.

I agree with this, I don't think the offense is as far away from being very good as some think. In some ways that is what makes me crazy, you see the potential and it just falls short. I'd also note that Bo has put together a few 10 win seasons and the Big 12 is not exactly a cake walk, we are set up with a tough schedule for next year but I expect us to do well. Perhaps the team can clean up their act and not beat themselves. Our QB should be better and I expect the same from the line. Running back an issue due to depth, recievers are no worse than the groups we've had the last 2 years. I know Mcneil and Paul but regaurdless of talent it was not used.

October 1 at Wisconsin L

October 8 Ohio State L

2010 Schedule

WKU

Idaho

SDSU

Washington

Kansas State

Texas

Okie State

Mizzou

Iowa State

Kansas

aTm

Colorado

OU

Washington

Look at the schedule that we played this past year. This was a tough schedule as well and don't tell me that the Big Ten schedule is that much better than this one. Because it is not. There are at least two teams on that schedule that would have been in the top two or three in the Big Ten if not the top spot in Okie State and OU.

Yes the Big Ten schedule is tougher than last years. If Martinez doesn't get hurt we crush Iowa St, Kansas, beat A&M, beat OU.

I would be willing to bet that I have broken down the Big Ten schedule and what each team has returning more times than you have. Besides the returning freshmen QB that Penn State has, they were very senior dominated. It will be very tough for us to lose that game.

A lot of people don't know how the Big Ten works. The conference has their swings because they don't have too many kids leave early. That is especially true with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State. They get a group of seniors one year and they run with them. Wisconsin is graduating one hell of a senior class. Iowa is graduating well... A senior class. There is not a team that has as balanced of a roster in terms of talent as we do. We have out-recruited all but one team on our schedule next year. That I promise you.

That also means that kids have been in the system and know it so when it's their turn to play there isn't much of a dropoff.