Texas just screwed the B12

da skers

They will almost certainly improve from last year's meltdown, but you can't tell me that's an 11+win team there. And yes, several of their sports, (namely, swimming) are awesome, but one cannot expect the success of those teams and thier ratings will support an ESPN channel. In my opinion, this is an incredible overreach for that school.

They won ten or more games each of the last nine years and they won nine games each of the three years prior to that. This year was clearly the aberration. They're so stocked with talent they can't help but win a bunch of games.

Maybe they go to hell in a handbasket, but I doubt it.

And you're right that it's a reach, but they're the richest team out there. If anyone can make it, it's Texas.

So let me think... The Big 12 treated Nebraska like a red headed step child all year. Nebraska had tried to ruin the Big 12. What a load of crap. If the 9 little sisters are smart they will start looking to join another conference before Texas makes its next move.

If I could get close to Bevo we would be having BBQ'd long horn at the spring game.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

The 22 million that each Big 10 school made last year is pre-Big 10 contract re-negotiation (now with Nebraska in the fold). The estimated per school cut that I heard is any where from 30 to 35 million (post re-negotiation). Texas is at 35 million with this new deal. 15 million from the UT network + 20 million from the Big 12 contract. That is under the assumption that Bebee can indeed get the 20 million he promised w/o Nebraska. So that means the rest of the Big 12 schools would be at around 20 million (promised) with little chance at supplimental income from a potential Big 12 Network now that Texas has sold their own media rights.

Now we know why ESPN and Texas killed the Pac-16. Texas is better off in the Big 12. However, the other 5 (OU, OSU, TT, A&M, Colorado) would've been better off financially in the Pac-16. I think you will hear the A&M / OU drumbeat grow louder and louder over the next few years that the SEC is the place for them ... once they realize there is a ceiling in place for their revenue and other schools are out-pacing.

As a football fan, I would rather be in a conference that can offer compelling match-ups throughout the conference season. I'm not sure you can say that about the Big 12 right now. There will probably only be a handful of match-ups each year that people outside of the states of Texas and Oklahoma will care about. I can't imagine I will watch many Big 12 games after the Red-River game early in the season.

However, all of this TV contract money is chump change compared to research dollars that a university pulls in. Ask Penn State if they regret joining the Big 10.