I met Tom today :D

Moiraine

About 5 years ago my family and I were sitting in a diner in Central City, NE and my dad goes "You'll never guess who's sitting right behind you." I turn around casually and low and behold, it's TO, Nancy, and another man. We didn't say anything to them, not wanting to interrupt their meal, but as they got up to leave Nancy made a comment to us about having to drive because women drivers are more safe or something (it was snowy out). We got a good laugh out of it and they went on their way.

Another story about the one and only TO. I was born with a collapsed lung and was in one of the hospitals in Lincoln. I think it was St. Elizabeth, but my family ended up riding the elevator with Tom. They got to talking somehow and he said something to the effect of "Well I hope everything turns out okay." I love that man and his healing powers.

There isn't much to this but

a. I'd never met him before and I've wanted to for 20+ years

b. I'm still really hyper so I have to post it :P

I live off campus and I was walking to school and this thin tall older man walked out of a store, but I only saw his back at first so my first thought was "He looks a lot like Tom Osborne." But you don't expect to see him walking around. At least, I don't. So I didn't really think it was him, and I was too scared to say anything in case it was just some random guy. But then I saw his reflection in a shop window and since his profile is easy to recognize I was certain :)

I probably wouldn't have said anything but there was no one within a block of us so it wasn't going to draw a bunch of attention, so I said "Hi, Tom" and he asked me how I was doing :D

Thanks for sharing your story. I met TO at a TeamMates event one time. I said, 'Hey Coach, I hear you like to fish sometimes.' He said that he did and then he and my husband started talking about fishing! It was great. (I don't think you need to worry about what to call him. :)

Glad that you got to meet Tom Osborne for the first time!

The first time I met Tom Osborne was at a Valentino's back when I was a Senior in High School in 2001. Every Wednesday after football practice the whole team would go to Valentino's and eat pizza and hang out as a team. My buddy, my twin brother, and I were running late but still decided to show up. By the time we showed up the team was finishing up eating their meals and leaving. We decided to stay since we were already there. Within 30 minutes this tall gentleman entered the restaurant and I thought to myself "Man that guy is tall!" I ended up taking another look at the guy and it was Tom Osborne and I tapped both my buddy and brother and told them to look in the direction where Osborne was standing. We all approached him with pieces of scratch paper so he could give us an autograph. I asked him one of the stupidest questions anybody could've asked him about a previous player and this was the question:

Q: What was it like coaching Joel Makovicka? (Makovicka is my favorite Husker of all time)

A: Joel is an outstand athlete and person who gave a lot to the football program as one of the best walk-ons in the history at Nebraska.

We than left him alone so he could eat his meal in peace. We found out later why Tom Osborne was in South Sioux City that day is because he had to do a speech at Morningside College in Sioux City, IA.

If I ran into Coach I would have told him that he should of not retired after the 1997 season. I also would tell him my displeasure of Barney Cotton as the OL coach.

I'm sure that's something hes already heard, more than once. I wouldn't waste my time or his criticizing Cotton. I would thank him for all hes done for the school and the state, and wish him the best.

GBR!!!

If I ran into Coach I would have told him that he should of not retired after the 1997 season. I also would tell him my displeasure of Barney Cotton as the OL coach.

No you wouldn't. You'd end up tittering nervously and meekly saying, "Hi, Coach," and barely restraining yourself from giving him a bear hug of adulation. Just like the rest of us.

Ain't every day you come face to face with an honest-to-God legend.

• Fire 2

Never met a coach never met TO. Have had the chance to meet Bo and TO though. TO spoke in my Grandmother's home town and my whole family met him. I was in Chicago...

Bo's kids play in my cousins' basketball league. I had the opportunity to go once, but I passed it up not knowing that Bo would be there. My brother who isn't even a football fan got a picture with him.

I did have a conversation with Eric Crouch once.