DON'T LET YOUR CHILD READ THIS-ABUSE

WARNING...DON'T LET YOUR CHILD READ THIS!.....IT ISN'T A JOKE..IT IS ABUSE!

I couldn't believe this when I saw this on the Today Show..I wanted to jump into my tv and grab the child and give them a hug and tell them that they are going to be ok. To think that she had her daughter taping this..10 years old I think they said is sick and her husband is a policeman! Why would he allow this to happen..he should of kicked her you know what to the curb!!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3041445/vp/41366717#41366717

I think the failure in parenting occurs way before this video is shot. Corrective action early can prevent the need for this kind of punishment later. You make it VERY clear from early on that you are the boss and that your rules will be obeyed. At the same time, shower the child with love and attention - two things children vitally need from parents.

You cannot tell a child "I love you" too many times. You cannot spend too much time with a child - especially when they're very young. When the child is secure, knows they are loved and knows their boundaries, they don't have these out-of-control moments where they act out to the point where you have to drastically punish them.

Raising kids is extremely difficult and very time-consuming. But it's still possible to do it correctly in this day and age, and it's still possible to have a good kid. I know tons of examples personally.

• Fire 1

Well whether anyone agrees with it or not my boys get spanked when they deserve it. If they bite one another or slap their mother or I, they get a spanking. However, I spoil my boys, hug them, and tell them I love them all the time. They are attached at my hip and I discipline them more than their mother does. That shows me I'm doing something right. I've seen too many parents that try to be a parent too late in life and end up calling us, the police, to come and solve their problems in twenty minutes. The hot sauce treatment was actually suggested to me to stop the boys from biting one another. I would never do the cold shower thing though and I've never had to do the hot sauce treatment on them for biting either.

The hot sauce is not child abuse at all. If she was making him down the whole bottle at once, then I would agree, but just alittle isn't all that bad.

You cannot tell a child "I love you" too many times. You cannot spend too much time with a child - especially when they're very young. When the child is secure, knows they are loved and knows their boundaries, they don't have these out-of-control moments where they act out to the point where you have to drastically punish them.

Will have to disagree with you on this one. I have personally seen kids that got the full attention and became the outlaw when they became a teenager.

I think we as a society have become to easy now days. I just retired from the Navy and 4 years before I did, I was being told I can't even yell at the new recruits when they do something wrong because it will just shut them down (I was joking to an E-4 (2 less then 2 yrs into the navy) about his abilities and he couldn't even work for about 2 hours after it and nearly cried. That's not how life works. You screw up, you pay for it. One shouldn't have to treat an adult as a kid to get them to do things and that is what is happening today because parents are wanting to be their kid's best friend and not a parent.

I cannot remember the quote, but the father on Boiler Room said it nicely about being a parent and not his best friend.

Will have to disagree with you on this one. I have personally seen kids that got the full attention and became the outlaw when they became a teenager.

My own sister is another example of how this is not always true. But anecdotally everyone could probably find an example of where this wasn't a successful parenting method.

Some kids are just never going to go right from the start and no amount of good parenting is going to prevent it. But that's the exception, not the rule. I'm talking about in general.