2011 Starting Lineups

Outside of Kinnie, I predict that we're going to have a rotation at the other WR. Enunwa and Baptiste being the most prominent, but also Cooper and Gilleylen jumping in and playing some downs. Bell and Marlowe as slot guys with a possibility of rotating in Abdullah, Green, and Turner. Burkhead as RB, Legate as FB (as needed), and Cotton/Reed coming in at TE depending on if it's going to be a run or pass (Reed could also move to that adjuster position, in that we will move him all across the formation (FB, Slot, out wide, flexed strong)).

The line will be Sirles at LT and Hardrick at RT. I think this spring things will start clicking for Hardrick (as he will be able to work throughout the spring instead of sitting out, I hope). He'll be an absolute beast out at RT. Caputo is going to start at C, with the possibility of Reeves pushing him (though Reeves is still working through his shoulder surgeries). At Guards, I'd guess Rodriguez and Qvale, but this is the position that will probably see the most rotation on the line.

On the D Line, Meredith and Crick are the only two locks. The other two spots will see a rotation of Martin (passing downs)/Williams/Ankrah/Carter at the other DE (though Williams or Ankrah could be Meredith's backup, or it could be one of the DEs we picked up last year). The other DT spot will be between Moore, Steinkuhler, and Rome.

We could do a couple of things with our LBs. We could move David over to Hagg's spot (which I'm guessing we will do when we play a team like Wisconsin) with Fisher and Compton starting. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Stafford move up and take that spot when we play and Indiana (a pass first team).

CB will be Dennard at one side with Evans starting the season on the other side. Whether he's still a starter as the season goes on will hinge on the development of Jackson. Green, Bell, and a couple others will also challenge for the spot and also being put over the slot.

Safety will be Osbourne and Cassidy starting the year as starters. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith step back up and start. Stafford could also play a part here.

I'd be stunned if that transpired. But not too worried.

By the way, props, EZ. You've outdone yourself with that Howard Dean clip; gives Gundy a run for his money.

There is a time and a place for Howard Dean and it was in that thread. Gundy fits in everywhere.

QB - Cody Green

RB - I don't know if we will have a true "starter." Green and Heard (that is right) will get carries and a good amount.

WR - This is where it gets tricky. Enunwa, Bell, SJB, and Kinnie are good ones.

TE - Reed/Cotton

LT - Sirles - if he shows as much improvement as he did last off-season then look out.

LG - ARod

C - Caputo

RG - Brandon Thompson

RT - Hardrick

DE - Camstache

DT - Crick

DT - Stein

DE - Joseph Carter

Rome, Randle, Guy, and Moore will see a good amount of time.

LB - David - no freaking chance we move him to Peso

LB - Compton - hopefully he can have a healthy off-season and year for us.

LB - Whaley - have to go with him for now. Fisher has a lot of rehab to do still.

I do in fact believe that our incoming freshmen will get a chance. I do believe that Santos will contribute.

CB - Dennard

S - Osborne

S - Cooper

CB - Evans

This is the year that Andrew Green steps up and plays quite a bit for us. Injury bug has not been his friend. Stafford will be the next Gomes IMO where he doesn't get on the field until conference play, but when he does, he really makes his mark. Charles Jackson is a kid that can also step up and play next year. Harvey Jackson, the list goes on for quite some time. We are pretty well stocked in the secondary fellas. Add in that that is Bo's genious and I am not in the least bit worried.

I'm confused by why so many people thing Stein won't start. He looked pretty good to me. Granted, he wasn't a game-changer, but he held his ground very well.

Also, I thought the Skill Positions on offense were:

Quarterback (Martinez)

Running back (Rex)

Tight End (Cotton)

X (Kinnie)

Z (Few options, but I see either Gilleylen, Bell, or Enuwa)

Zebra (Reed and/or Enuwa)

Slot (Not sure. Marlowe?)

Cotton is a great player, and Reed is a playmaker. They're gonna be on the field a lot in my opinion. Kinnie will be the only receiver on the field consistently.

It's hard to really make a depth chart anymore. You want certain players on the field for certain circumstances. 3rd and long, Cotton will probably come off the field and Reed can move from Zebra to TE. You want your best players on the field at all times, no matter what position they are playing.

I'm not sure about Hardrick ousting Jones at RT. I have heard that they might have Yoshi play some LG to give the interior a boost, with the loss of Henry and Williams.

The WR spots (with the exception of Kinnie) are all up for grabs. I expect Cooper to quit football and play baseball full time.

Also, don't forget about guys like Middleton, Washington, and Blue (if he recovers from injuries) at CB.

I can't imagine Stein won't be starting. Also, I think that with the move to the Big 10, Martin moves back to LB and Rome playing some strong side DE, as we will be using more traditional 4-3 looks when playing the more run based teams like the Iowas and Wisconsins.

Interesting tidbits about Cody Green from the LJS NSD chat:

When asked about a possible position change for Cody, BC said:

I am guessing Cody Green is ready to compete hard in the spring at QB

Later in the chat Sipple had this to say:

I was told Cody approached the coaches late last season -- but sometime before the ISU game -- about possibly moving to TE. Look at the TE depth chart. Not much there after Cotton and Reed. It might make a lot of sense for Cody to make that move, assuming he's willing.

QB - Cody Green

RB - I don't know if we will have a true "starter." Green and Heard (that is right) will get carries and a good amount.

WR - This is where it gets tricky. Enunwa, Bell, SJB, and Kinnie are good ones.

TE - Reed/Cotton

LT - Sirles - if he shows as much improvement as he did last off-season then look out.

LG - ARod

C - Caputo

RG - Brandon Thompson

RT - Hardrick

DE - Camstache

DT - Crick

DT - Stein

DE - Joseph Carter

Rome, Randle, Guy, and Moore will see a good amount of time.

LB - David - no freaking chance we move him to Peso

LB - Compton - hopefully he can have a healthy off-season and year for us.

LB - Whaley - have to go with him for now. Fisher has a lot of rehab to do still.

I do in fact believe that our incoming freshmen will get a chance. I do believe that Santos will contribute.

CB - Dennard

S - Osborne

S - Cooper

CB - Evans

This is the year that Andrew Green steps up and plays quite a bit for us. Injury bug has not been his friend. Stafford will be the next Gomes IMO where he doesn't get on the field until conference play, but when he does, he really makes his mark. Charles Jackson is a kid that can also step up and play next year. Harvey Jackson, the list goes on for quite some time. We are pretty well stocked in the secondary fellas. Add in that that is Bo's genious and I am not in the least bit worried.

If Cody Green starts, I more than likely couldnt stomach a game the whole season. He is slow, doesnt move in the pocket, and looks twice as scared as Zac Lee.

Offense

QB- T-Mart

WR- Brandon Kinnie

WR- Quincy Enunwa

TE- Kyler Reed

FB- Tyler Legate

RB- Rex Burkhead

LT- Jeremiah Sirles

LG- Andrew Rodriguez

C- Mike Caputo

RG- Jemarcus Hardrick

RT- Marcel Jones

Defense

DE- Cameron Meredith

DT- Jared Crick

DT- Baker Steinkuler

DE- Jason Ankrah

LB- Lavonte David

LB- Will Compton

Peso- Austin Cassidy

CB- Alfonzo Dennard

S- PJ Smith

S- Courtney Osbourne

CB- Ciante Evans

O

QB- Taylor

RB- Rex

TE- Cotton

TE- Reed

WR- BK

WR- Enunwa/Bell

C- Caputo

G- Arod

G- Qvale

T- Hardrick

T- Sirles

D

DE- Camstache

DE- Ankra/Williams/Emart

DT- Crick

DT- Baker

LB- David(he has put on weight, he wont be in the peso)

LB- Compton

LB- Whaley(dont see fisher being completely healthy)

CB- Fonzi

CB- Evans(secretly hoping Middleton see some serious PT)

S- Osborne

S- PJ Smith(would also like to see CC/Harvey)

I gotta think Jason Ankrah comes in and makes some plays for us next year. He saw a fair amount of playing time this year.

Ankrah definitely has the physical tools to be a hell of a player. But you have to remember this is February. The time of year when a grainy H.S. highlight tape and boat loads of 'potential' can easily trump the strides made by a 2nd string RsFr with 3 years in a top notch S&D program under his belt........Or at least that is what a lot of fans seem to believe around this time of year.

It's great to be optimistic about these young men's futures at NU, but it's unrealistic to think that a half dozen or so FR and Jucos will be able to step into starting roles in their first year with the team. Sure there will always be freakish athletes that are hands down the best at their position from day one. But more often than not it's either a glaring weakness at the position, (like Zac Taylor in '05' or TMart this season) or a string of injuries that causes a player to start much earlier than expected. (Like Lavonte David this year)

There normally aren't as many personnel changes in one off season as fans like to clamor for. Mainly because the players coming in just aren't developed enough at 17, 18, 19 years old to compete right away. And that's partially why I think Lil Red's line-up will be pretty close to what we see next fall. NU should have enough quality players returning with game experience and knowledge of the system to make early playing time a lot harder for first year guys to earn than it has in the recent past. Which IMO is the best possible scenario for this team. Going into 2011 with experienced starters along with quality depth behind them will be essential for NU if they want to succeed in bringing an aggressive, hard nosed style of football to the Big10.

Edited by huzkerbob