Are you afraid of death?

I think one of the things about death that makes people fear it, is that it lasts forever (I would guess the majority of people on this board believe that, anyways). I don't know about everyone else, but I have a difficulty grasping the concept of "forever." No one living has experienced "forever." Whether you're religious or not, just think that when you die, whatever happens after that will last "forever." It's a weird thought.

I'd have to agree with sewardite. The concept of 'forever' is hard for my mind to wrap around. Everything that we do in this life has a definitive end to it. It's hard for my mind to grasp that if we go to heaven, or hell, that's where we'll be eternally.. Of course, it all depends on what you believe in...but the idea of eternity just blows my mind.

Of course the process of dying could be painful, but I don't fear the state of not being alive. Consider that every night we sleep and lose consciousness. That's what death is like, but we don't dream and don't wake up.

I think you've hit it, to a large extent. I think the process of dying is more frightening than death itself. Depending on a person's view, death is one of two conditions - nothingness, which means no experiences negative or positive, or salvation and eternal life in some kind of "heaven". Nether condition is what worries folks as much as how they achieve those conditions. The kind of death - the means by which you die - is frightening when contemplated. Death? No.

Reincarnation is a third possibility, as it is neither an afterlife or nothingness more of a recirculation if you will.

this thread confuses me as a whole. ive punched, kicked, battered and punctured people in attempts at life. its not bragging, it was a job. a job i had a chance to continue anywhere in the country, but didnt. call me a pu&&y, but the most terrifying part of it? not what i had to do, but the victims themselves struggling faces, and those around them begging for a chance and subsequently taking it out on me.

lots of bravado in this thread. fact is, look down at someone you care about dying, and post the actual emotion here then.

those that arent afraid of death are in denial, plain and simple. otherwise, you'd just let people go. there would be no tears or emotion, no outbursts. there would be no religion, no fountain of youth, no vampire, no zombie, no highlander stories. those devout christians crying graveside? why? because the deceased is in hell? or what?

oh, its because they miss them...well why? youre gonna die too...just like they breathed. you never cried because they took a dump, did you? does it scare you that youre still breathing?

are you somehow more poignant about anothers death than your own? please. its like how we justify someone living a long life compared to an infant dying. theyre both dead. then you hear about how the infant never had to experience this or that...the same people that will say 'oh, he lived a long life' to someone else. its all fluff we make up to make death sound better.

if i had to guess, i'd say the thread starter recently observed a death of some sort, something that made them question their own mortality. something that, frankly, scared them.

this thread confuses me as a whole. ive punched, kicked, battered and punctured people in attempts at life. its not bragging, it was a job. a job i had a chance to continue anywhere in the country, but didnt. call me a pu&&y, but the most terrifying part of it? not what i had to do, but the victims themselves struggling faces, and those around them begging for a chance and subsequently taking it out on me.

lots of bravado in this thread. fact is, look down at someone you care about dying, and post the actual emotion here then.

those that arent afraid of death are in denial, plain and simple. otherwise, you'd just let people go. there would be no tears or emotion, no outbursts. there would be no religion, no fountain of youth, no vampire, no zombie, no highlander stories. those devout christians crying graveside? why? because the deceased is in hell? or what?

oh, its because they miss them...well why? youre gonna die too...just like they breathed. you never cried because they took a dump, did you? does it scare you that youre still breathing?

are you somehow more poignant about anothers death than your own? please. its like how we justify someone living a long life compared to an infant dying. theyre both dead. then you hear about how the infant never had to experience this or that...the same people that will say 'oh, he lived a long life' to someone else. its all fluff we make up to make death sound better.

if i had to guess, i'd say the thread starter recently observed a death of some sort, something that made them question their own mortality. something that, frankly, scared them.

You've piqued my interest, what job fits this description?

You've piqued my interest, what job fits this description?

I would say law enforcement or military

I disagree. Just because you mourn the loss of a loved one does not mean that you fear your own demise. You miss those that have left, but sometimes, a person's own life really doesn't mean that much to them.

An ex-friend of mine from years ago told me "Sometimes, there are worse things than dying." He was kind of a tortured soul, I'm not sure if he really meant it or was being flip, but some people really do feel that living is an insufferable hell. Some people just get tired of trying, and don't care if the wake up the next day.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree. Just because you mourn the loss of a loved one does not mean that you fear your own demise. You miss those that have left, but sometimes, a person's own life really doesn't mean that much to them.

An ex-friend of mine from years ago told me "Sometimes, there are worse things than dying." He was kind of a tortured soul, I'm not sure if he really meant it or was being flip, but some people really do feel that living is an insufferable hell. Some people just get tired of trying, and don't care if the wake up the next day.

your friend may have not been so much tortured soul as enlightned, depends on how you look at it, 41 years old, I have lost a daughter, father, mother and all grandparents. Spent alot of time with my mother before she died (she knew she didnt have long left). Learned alot from her, we were really close. Dieing is part of living, if you fear death, then how are you truely living. I have had several close calls in my life and I mean close, not, oh if I would have been at that intersection 5 min earlier type stuff. As far as it being an unknown, why would you fear that? Everything you know was learned, prior to that it was an unknown. Best you can hope for and work towards is being square with the world when its time.

I have to say, your post confuses me.

There are suicides to consider. There are also people who believe an end to human existence doesn't mean an end to existence period.

Finally, there is a difference between being afraid of losing someone you love, and dying yourself. The act of mourning does not equate into some innate, subconscious fear of one's own demise.

I think your comments are more of a reflection on how you feel personally based upon some experiences you thinly alluded to at the beginning of your post rather than an accurate assessment of what you referred to as others bravado. It's more like acceptance. Acceptance of the inevitable.

Now, if I have bullet wound in a femoral artery and no facility within reach to treat me...then for 10 minutes I'm scared of dying. Because I'm going to die in 10 minutes. Outside of direct knowledge of my immediately impending death, I'm nonchalant about it. Feel free to disregard that as internally dishonest if you like.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I never used to swear as a child...but..For the last three years, almost every morning when I wake up and realize I'm still alive..I shout the "F" word.

Even as a child, whether I was depressed or not, I couldn't wait to see what was next.

BUT!!!

The few times I came closest to offing myself...I sure did get the shakes bad.

Maybe there is a little fear..Mainly of the dying process, and the guilt...But if it were as easy as turning off a switch, I'm sure a lot of us would be gone...The 2012 end of the world predictions are almost comforting..in a "safety in numbers" sort of way. :dunno