A different perspective to Bo's Fort Knox-style security

Landlord

I think we can all agree that Bo has overcompensated a bit in his tightening of what gets out of his program. However, one thing I was thinking about tonight was this. Think of how, every offseason, we're hearing reports of all these scandals, all these negative incidents, and all of these image-dampening events at big time schools...the player suspensions at OSU, the cheating scandals in the SEC, etc. Now think about the way our program would look right now if the public perception of Nebraska included why Quentin Castille got kicked off the team, Cody Glenn, why Marvin Sanders really left, Taylor's quitting in pre-season practice and supposedly later on in the year, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know, just a random observation on my part, but while I am quick to admit my frustration at the lack of information being made available, I take a look at the big picture and realize that it's probably, in the long run, doing our program more good than harm.

Just because nobody knows about those incidents doesn't mean that they didn't happen/aren't happening... But if it keeps those grass-holes at the NCAA away from Nebraska, I suppose I can see your perspective.

I was listening to Jon Nyuata, sure I spelled that wrong, on 1620 the other day. He talked about the media's appetite for NU football year round. Bo dosen't care for it and isn't going to deal with it when his job dosen't require it.

I have no problem with this approach. How many pressers should Bo do in the off-season? Spring ball starts in less than a month and all these boobs can write down every thing Bo and his new staff say for 2 weeks. Is that not enough to justify your donation? If not give your money to Iowa State, they will give endless Paul Rhodes pressers for your $$$.

Gave me a visual that is more appropriate for the woodshed

I spend over $100 a year on my student tickets.

And what is that, maybe $15 a game. YOU get more then what you pay for and that is to watch the game. To come here and demand more is just idiotic.

That's nothing in comparison to season ticket holders, but for argument's sake... There are thousands of people who pay money to go to these games and give our athletic department millions of dollars to make sure our athletes (in all sports) have the best possible resources to succeed.

There are also thousands of people who donate to said athletic department (aka boosters).

And do you not think that the boosters don't get the information that they want? They do get this privilege, and it's only a phone call away. I am sure during the last season and after the last extension of Callahan's tour, those phones were ringing non-stop from our boosters asking what the hell was NU thinking.

While we love our Huskers to death, information to us as general public is a privilege and not a right. We can bitch about whatever we want, but as long as we see our team play on Saturdays, that's what our ticket sales are paying for and nothing else.

For people that make donations to the team, thank you. If you want to see how your donations are being used, go take a tour of the stadium, the weight room, Hawks center, or other buildings. I believe the tours are available and free. You can also sit in the stadium, in the seat you purchased, and watch the team and coaches do what you "paid them to do".

And what is that, maybe $15 a game. YOU get more then what you pay for and that is to watch the game. To come here and demand more is just idiotic.

That's nothing in comparison to season ticket holders, but for argument's sake... There are thousands of people who pay money to go to these games and give our athletic department millions of dollars to make sure our athletes (in all sports) have the best possible resources to succeed.

There are also thousands of people who donate to said athletic department (aka boosters).

And do you not think that the boosters don't get the information that they want? They do get this privilege, and it's only a phone call away. I am sure during the last season and after the last extension of Callahan's tour, those phones were ringing non-stop from our boosters asking what the hell was NU thinking.

While we love our Huskers to death, information to us as general public is a privilege and not a right. We can bitch about whatever we want, but as long as we see our team play on Saturdays, that's what our ticket sales are paying for and nothing else.

Sometimes I think some of you like to type just to see yourself type, without even thinking about what you're saying...

For the last time, I even mentioned that the amount I pay is mundane. I just used it for 'argument's sake'..

Also, for the last time, in no way, shape, or form am I demanding to know everything about the program, as I have stated on two occasions now for those of you struggling with this concept. My point is merely this - we pay to see them play and perform. If I were giving thousands of dollars to an entity, I'd want to know where that money is going and just have a general idea of the goings on.

Would any of YOU donate thousands of dollars to some entity and then just not want to know what's being done with it? Either you're naive of the value and worth of money or you're trying to prove a point by saying you're better than something that you're really not. For crying out loud, you all come to a random message board just to talk about Husker football. I'd say your desire for information is already greater than the average fan.

So, in summation, once again..... Bo can do what he wants and give out the information he wants. At the same time, he should (and does) understand the desire for information in this fan base. Some of you might be sitting up saying "well, I'm better than that", but you're really not. This fan base has more people in need of information than people who don't. Denying this, as you so eloquently put it okaive, is 'idiotic'.

Doing more harm than good? How? I didn't know much of anything about potential recruits, off the field stuff, or practice field soap operas during Osborne's day; that is, until Lawrence Philips decided to drag his ex-girlfriend around, and then Berringer's death. But those were pretty big events. These days, players can't sneeze without Sipple, Chatelain and Shatel zooming in to grill them on their health and medical records.

There seems to be this mentality that we're all entitled to knowing everything that happens in and around the program. Why? What does it matter?

I just try to trust the coaches to do their jobs the best way they know how, and let them worry about off the field issues, well, because that's their job and not mine. My job is to wear red and be loud.

Because that's their job. They don't like to be the guys with the bad news, but sometimes they have to be. Think about how pissed the editors would be if they didn't even try to find scoop on such stories. A journalist is meant to inform the people, that is what Sipple, Chatelain, etc. are attempting to do.

• Fire 1

Doing more harm than good? How? I didn't know much of anything about potential recruits, off the field stuff, or practice field soap operas during Osborne's day; that is, until Lawrence Philips decided to drag his ex-girlfriend around, and then Berringer's death. But those were pretty big events. These days, players can't sneeze without Sipple, Chatelain and Shatel zooming in to grill them on their health and medical records.

There seems to be this mentality that we're all entitled to knowing everything that happens in and around the program. Why? What does it matter?

I just try to trust the coaches to do their jobs the best way they know how, and let them worry about off the field issues, well, because that's their job and not mine. My job is to wear red and be loud.

Because that's their job. They don't like to be the guys with the bad news, but sometimes they have to be. Think about how pissed the editors would be if they didn't even try to find scoop on such stories. A journalist is meant to inform the people, that is what Sipple, Chatelain, etc. are attempting to do.

This is a good point. I swear, some people think journalists are out there just because they like to bother people for information.

This is a good point. I swear, some people think journalists are out there just because they like to bother people for information.

I would say the LJS does a far and above better job of just reporting things and if they make a personal opinion statement they note it as such. The Dirkwad and Shermanator have forgot how to do this and pretty much try to write a slant that suits their agenda. Back in the day this was called propaganda.

• Fire 1

Sometimes I think some of you like to type just to see yourself type, without even thinking about what you're saying...

For the last time, I even mentioned that the amount I pay is mundane. I just used it for 'argument's sake'..

Also, for the last time, in no way, shape, or form am I demanding to know everything about the program, as I have stated on two occasions now for those of you struggling with this concept. My point is merely this - we pay to see them play and perform. If I were giving thousands of dollars to an entity, I'd want to know where that money is going and just have a general idea of the goings on.

Would any of YOU donate thousands of dollars to some entity and then just not want to know what's being done with it? Either you're naive of the value and worth of money or you're trying to prove a point by saying you're better than something that you're really not. For crying out loud, you all come to a random message board just to talk about Husker football. I'd say your desire for information is already greater than the average fan.

So, in summation, once again..... Bo can do what he wants and give out the information he wants. At the same time, he should (and does) understand the desire for information in this fan base. Some of you might be sitting up saying "well, I'm better than that", but you're really not. This fan base has more people in need of information than people who don't. Denying this, as you so eloquently put it okaive, is 'idiotic'.

I think you might be just a touch bit uninformed. As a booster when I write a check one of two things happen. I write say a $2000 check and designate that it go to a specific program, project or I can say use it where you need it. When I do the latter I'm telling them I don't care to know what you do with it. The other way it happens is I get a phone call from Paul Meyer, TO, a coach or other fundraiser depending on the project. They say we're working on "stadium expansion" I was hoping you'd support us with a $50,000 donation or a pledge to buy sky boxes or x amount over x years. I know where the money is going. In those cases you can see the facilities and you can get updates along the way. We're not in the dark in anyway.

And reading back your position changed slightly from first post, to second, to third. I think your worries are no longer really valid because that's not how it works. You don't give thousands of dollars and no know what its going to.

As far as why we'd come to a board. It because even though I can talk with informed people there are times that someone knows whats going on that the administration doesn't. For example...I wouldn't have the opportunity to see a player in class and talk with them. They might have a different perspective than the coaches or TO or one of the dozens of former people who played there. You try to form a more rounded perspective of what the program is like.

• Fire 2

Buy some Apple stock. Call Steve Jobs. Ask Him when the next iPad/iPod/iPhone is coming out, and what the features are. Let me know how it goes.

From that standpoint, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support.

Enhance: Your getting blasted because of this sentence. Especially the DEMAND part.

We know what we're saying, the question is: Are you re-reading what you're typing before hitting the Add Reply button?

I think the lock down amounts to a missed opportunity for the University of Nebraska.

The newspapers will absolutely JUMP at an opportunity to write good things about the program and that exposure is a very valuable thing both for recruiting and for drawing dollars into the program. It doesn't even have to be interesting, for god's sake. We as fans, and media (catering to us) will eagerly read/write the blandest article about mundane topics like "Rex Burkhead has spent XXX hours in the weightroom this fall."

The media is going to try to write about Nebraska football every day regardless of what Bo does or says . . . so why not have them write the stories that Bo wants them to write?

Instead, Bo treats the media, and even the FANBASE as outsiders. We should all be in this together.

You people who think that Nebraska football is not bigger than our current head coach are sadly lacking in perspective. Nebraska football exists because of and FOR . . . you and I. Without the fans the program dies. It's really as simple as that.

• Fire 1

What cracks me up is how butthurt people get when they do not know every single thing that is going on. It's like Bo should be showing up at their house with a candygram, letting them know who the OC is going to be, who's the starting QB, etc....

In a world where a "Tweet" can be taken as a reliable source of information, the journalistic "integrity" is one of the reason for Bo being tighter than a ducks butt, with what happens within the program.

IMHO Bo can run his program however he wants, but as fans we have the right to know about our team. Not just from a fan stand point, but from a financial standpoint.

I spend over $100 a year on my student tickets. That's nothing in comparison to season ticket holders, but for argument's sake... There are thousands of people who pay money to go to these games and give our athletic department millions of dollars to make sure our athletes (in all sports) have the best possible resources to succeed.

They don't do it because they like to throw their hard earned money around. They do it to support a program they care about, they love, and they want to see succeed.

From that standpoint, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support. Some of you may think it's a trivial pursuit, and I somewhat agree. That said, until people have reason to not care about it, they will. Telling people to care less isn't going to do you any good because that simply will not happen in this state with this program.

Why does supporting the team financially, which is a personal choice, entitle the 'giver' to know every detail of the team? I don't see this happening with any of the other teams at NU. It's like being little old lady town gossips. What if we did know about Castille and why Marvin really left? Would that change your giving? If so, then what are you really supporting? Bo took care of those kinds of things privately. He had his reasons. Perhaps if everyone knew all of the 'skeletons in the closets' it could hurt those former players/coaches in obtaining other positions later. Give the guy credit for being discrete. That's a rare quality these days. Bo hasn't done anything illegal here. I say leave the guy alone and let HIM coach.

I did not once say supporting the team financially entitles the giver to know every detail of the team.

I said, and I quote, we have a right to know (and demand) certain amounts of information from the programs we support. What you are saying equates to investing money into stocks, bonds, etc., but not wanting details about what is going on with whatever you invested your money in.

I also didn't saying anything about specific situations, as I could really care less. I'm talking about the right to know general team knowledge. If you invest money into something, you have the right to know what's going on within that entity to an extent. Unless you enjoy blindly throwing money away and not caring what happens to it, then I guess you don't apply to the situation.

What do you think your donation entitles you to? I guess that's where I'm confused. How are you defining 'general team knowledge'. I guess when I look at that I think, anyone could know 'general team knowledge' who has a computer or gets the paper. But from the tone of your post (and I could be totally wrong and if I am I apologize) it sounds like you equate giving financially to an entitlement of getting to know the ins and outs of the football team. So could you clarify what you mean when you say that you have a 'right to know general team knowledge'. Because to me you have that already from reading the Husker UNL website or the newspaper. What is it that you think you are entitled to know beyond who the team members are, the positions that they play, maybe a little about where they're from, the coaches, their roles..beyond that what else do you feel you are entitled to know? Thanks :)