Tim Beck" You can't be afraid to start over and junk everything."

omahapanda

im not arguing with you, walksalone.

im just happy things are finally, completely under Bo's control. Now we get to see, truly. Im not one to believe for a second that if Bo had the choice, he would have kept any of that staff around when he first walked through the doors. He is too hard headed. There were other factors involved.

He has more than proved himself being capable as a head coach, although there have been bumps along the way. He finally has his total staff, his choices, and we are kickstarting it in the new Big 10. Im stoked.

and the only difference in 2010 was an uber-soft schedule where we played nary a stout defense

This is a bit of a myth and it needs to stop. I can't find the post now, but I compared the total and scoring defenses of our first four conference opponents, where we posted great big offensive numbers, vs the total and scoring defenses of our final four conference opponents, where we struggled. The offensive numbers dropped dramatically, but so did the defensive numbers. We scored 31 on the #6 scoring defense in the nation (Missouri). Our biggest struggle came against the #6 total defense in the nation (Texas). We weren't suddenly exposed by better defenses later on, we just lost our two best quarterbacks to injury - and tried to play one of them anyway.

2010 was far, far from the 'worst possible' offense.

You can flush all those statistics down the toilet as far as I'm concerned. Go back and watch the Holiday Bowl where we put up a single TD against Washington and our best play was a freaking punt and tell me the offense can get worse than that.

The one game all year where Beck was responsible for the offensive preparation, as well as the QBs work?

and the only difference in 2010 was an uber-soft schedule where we played nary a stout defense

This is a bit of a myth and it needs to stop. I can't find the post now, but I compared the total and scoring defenses of our first four conference opponents, where we posted great big offensive numbers, vs the total and scoring defenses of our final four conference opponents, where we struggled. The offensive numbers dropped dramatically, but so did the defensive numbers. We scored 31 on the #6 scoring defense in the nation (Missouri). Our biggest struggle came against the #6 total defense in the nation (Texas). We weren't suddenly exposed by better defenses later on, we just lost our two best quarterbacks to injury - and tried to play one of them anyway. you'd think such a genius would end up with something more than a low level qb coaching job, when he had an entire athletic dept behind him trying to find a position...come one

You can flush all those statistics down the toilet as far as I'm concerned. Go back and watch the Holiday Bowl where we put up a single TD against Washington and our best play was a freaking punt and tell me the offense can get worse than that.

The one game all year where Beck was responsible for the offensive preparation, as well as the QBs work?

so what was watson doing on the staff? blame it all you want, twist it, whatever. but in the end, watson ends up the fool...and hes gone.,

say your little parade is the actual truth...if watson was such a genius, then why does he have nothing to do with it? he is exempt when things go bad? he just happens to be the guy that leaves the staff?

HE f'ing BLOWS! its fact, everywhere he has been has been happy to be rid of him.

he is so great that he ends up a qb coach at louisville...

the guy has never been a winner. that is a mother f'ing fact zoogies. Bo is. get over it.

Fact is, Beck couldn't have gone out, and "expounded" on SW's offense. He's got to create his own identity, on the offensive side of the ball.

I can sit here, and think about what could've been past couple of years if we wouldn't have been ham strung, by our lack of an OC. Our "D" was playing lights out, but the "O" couldn't hold up their side of the bargain.

The list of people whose fault it is:

Bo Pelini

Barney Cotton

Taylor Martinez

The offensive line

The offensive players as a group

The defense

And the latest addition to the list: Tim Beck

The list of people whose fault it is NOT (and never has been):

Shawn Watson

That about sums it up, right zoogies?

This is a bit of a myth and it needs to stop. I can't find the post now, but I compared the total and scoring defenses of our first four conference opponents, where we posted great big offensive numbers, vs the total and scoring defenses of our final four conference opponents, where we struggled. The offensive numbers dropped dramatically, but so did the defensive numbers. We scored 31 on the #6 scoring defense in the nation (Missouri). Our biggest struggle came against the #6 total defense in the nation (Texas). We weren't suddenly exposed by better defenses later on, we just lost our two best quarterbacks to injury - and tried to play one of them anyway.

I've read that rumor before but have yet to see anything to back it up.

^ And we'll probably be on here in September when we're playing the fluffs arguing over whether Beck will go down as one of the greatest OC's in NU history because he just hung 600 yards on Chattanooga or Wyoming.

Ultimately the hire will be judged, not based on a few games or even a single season - but the next 3 years...just like Watson was.

Until then...we gripe about playcalling and praise new schemes/players. That's what we do on Huskerboard right?

:yeah great post.

+1

Bo Pelini

Barney Cotton

Taylor Martinez

The offensive line

The defense

Shawn Watson

In zoogies defense, I've seen numerous times where's he's been critical of Watson. Looking at that list though - you might actually think Zoogie believes this fuseball thing is a team sport? Where you win as a team, and lose as a team.

Bo Pelini

Barney Cotton

Taylor Martinez

The offensive line

The defense

Shawn Watson

Good lord you guys are good at missing the point.

:madash

To recycle the anti-Brion argument, there is absolutely nothing from Beck that has shown he deserves either patience or confidence, both of which he is being given now in boatloads. The one game all year he had a heavy hand in, was a disaster. Not that I blame it on him, but that's what it was. So if you want to use that one game, or any of the other games last year where the team was not healthy at critical positions, as an indication of how good the offense was last year, I don't know what to tell ya.

The offense got into a post-injury funk last season. Prior to that, it was rolling pretty good. No effing clue where all this dramatic "nothing is ever Shawn Watson's fault" is coming from. All of this that I said, is in response to guys claiming that our offense was the worst offense in the world last year and we just can't possibly get any lower. And other stuff like 'HE f'ing BLOWS! its fact'

To recycle the anti-Brion argument, there is absolutely nothing from Beck that has shown he deserves either patience or confidence, both of which he is being given now in boatloads. The one game all year he had a heavy hand in, was a disaster. Not that I blame it on him, but that's what it was. So if you want to use that one game, or any of the other games last year where the team was not healthy at critical positions, as an indication of how good the offense was last year, I don't know what to tell ya.

The offense got into a post-injury funk last season. Prior to that, it was rolling pretty good. No effing clue where all this dramatic "nothing is ever Shawn Watson's fault" is coming from. All of this that I said, is in response to guys claiming that our offense was the worst offense in the world last year and we just can't possibly get any lower. And other stuff like 'HE f'ing BLOWS! its fact'

Ah. That comes from the fact that, to my knowledge, after reading literally hundreds of posts you've written about the offensive woes over the past couple of years, I do not recall you ever singling Watson out for blame. It was Bo's decision, Martinez' failure, Cotton's line sucked, the defense gave up the lead, etc, etc, etc. If you really want me to, I'll go back and link to post after post after post where you've said this.

That's where this is coming from. It's not that we're good at missing the point. It's that you've been very consistent in your rhetoric, and I'm just adding the latest guy to the list.

They sucked so bad beacuse none of them wanted to be there. Don't put any stock into that game, that offense, or the performance of whoever prepared for it. Remove it from your mind.

What can't be overlooked however - is that we arguably lost 2 games last year because of mental lapses. We weren't into the Holiday Bowl, and we were WAY TOO MUCH into the Texas game. Bo learned from both I'm sure.

They sucked so bad beacuse none of them wanted to be there. Don't put any stock into that game, that offense, or the performance of whoever prepared for it. Remove it from your mind.

What can't be overlooked however - is that we arguably lost 2 games last year because of mental lapses. We weren't into the Holiday Bowl, and we were WAY TOO MUCH into the Texas game. Bo learned from both I'm sure.

Not an excuse, though. We're NEBRASKA, darn it! WE don't check out of games because we 'don't wanna be there.' WE buckle down and do our jobs 100% EVERY GAME, EVERY DOWN. That game was shameful.

Not an excuse, though. We're NEBRASKA, darn it! WE don't check out of games because we 'don't wanna be there.' WE buckle down and do our jobs 100% EVERY GAME, EVERY DOWN. That game was shameful.

oh well......

Ah. That comes from the fact that, to my knowledge, after reading literally hundreds of posts you've written about the offensive woes over the past couple of years, I do not recall you ever singling Watson out for blame. It was Bo's decision, Martinez' failure, Cotton's line sucked, the defense gave up the lead, etc, etc, etc. If you really want me to, I'll go back and link to post after post after post where you've said this.

That's where this is coming from. It's not that we're good at missing the point. It's that you've been very consistent in your rhetoric, and I'm just adding the latest guy to the list.

And I think it can be said that you and others who share your views are also missing the point. Yes, you can look at numbers and show that last year's offense was not actually the worst ever. (Damn close, though, and saying, "It can't get much worse than last year" just doesn't have the same ring to it.) But the point is that for more than a few games---some of which occurred before the ankle injury heard 'round the world---our offense could not have gotten much worse. And yes, I am talking about SDSU and Texas. Sure, we piled up gaudy numbers against defensive patsies like WKU, Idaho, Washington, K State, and Okie State, but we also failed to score a TD against Texas and managed just two TDs against I-AA SDSU. I can hear you already: "The game plan at Texas was sound it just wasn't executed properly because our guys dropped a bunch of passes." Well, it's true we dropped a few key passes, but a few unfortunate drops does not excuse an offense from failing to get into the endzone at all. If dropped passes were the problem, why didn't we just throw more? Even if we were dropping every other ball we threw, why not throw twice as many and you'll end up the same? Instead, Watson was content to let Martinez and Helu get stuffed (or fumble) on runs that were doomed from the start.

And don't even get me started about the offensive disaster that was Texas A&M, the second half of Oklahoma, and Washington (Pt. II). Everyone assumes that we did poorly because Martinez was not 100%, but I think it's just as likely that you all are assuming Martinez wasn't 100% simply because we did poorly. I'm sure the ankle didn't help, but that just goes back to Watson's inability to take lemons and make lemonade. In case he hadn't noticed, football is a contact sport and injuries are likely to occur to key personnel. Any coordinator can just fold up the tent and go home once a key player goes down; the good ones find a way to work around it. (Take, for example, our defense.) And forgive me if I think Nebraska deserves a good offensive coordinator.

I could go on, but the point I'm making is that, at times (and particularly against decent defenses), our offense could literally not get much worse. Is there some risk for next in trashing the whole offense and starting from scratch? Sure. But if you believe as I do that it will result in a better system in the long run, then I am more than willing to give up Watson's inconsistent Frankenstein offense that was happy to take centerstage against mediocre defenses, but frequently failed to show up against decent ones.

And that right there is the forest and the trees.