Big Ten Network-Will they show any of the old NU games?

ladyhawke

No worries. The good news is, we avenged that loss in 2003. We were actually 2-0 vs. Big 10 teams in 2003, come to think of it: We beat Penn State on the back half of the home-and-home, and Bo beat Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl.

We played Michigan in 2005 and beat them in the Alamo Bowl. Have we played any other Big 10 teams since 2001 besides Michigan? I'm not remembering....

Nope. Since the Devaney Era (circa 1962) we're 36-4 against the Big Ten. The four losses were:

2002 - Penn State

1986 - Michigan

1981 - Iowa

1974 - Wisconsin

• Fire 1

No worries. The good news is, we avenged that loss in 2003. We were actually 2-0 vs. Big 10 teams in 2003, come to think of it: We beat Penn State on the back half of the home-and-home, and Bo beat Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl.

We played Michigan in 2005 and beat them in the Alamo Bowl. Have we played any other Big 10 teams since 2001 besides Michigan? I'm not remembering....

Nope. Since the Devaney Era (circa 1962) we're 36-4 against the Big Ten. The four losses were:

2002 - Penn State

1986 - Michigan

1981 - Iowa

1974 - Wisconsin

So if they televise old Nebraska games vs. Big 10 opponents, they'll have to dig deep to find losses, and 90% of the choices they'll have will be Nebraska victories.

Gotta like that. :thumbs

My understanding is that they will show some old Nebraska games beginning in July. What will be nice is if they don't just show the games we lost.

IIRC, the Big 10 Network was wanting to run Nebraska content sooner than July 1. Delany himself said something about the Big 10 Network running Nebraska content 'soon' when was in Lincoln last summer celebrating our decision to join the B1G.

The point is, I don't think Delany envisioned waiting until July 1, 2011 when he made that statement. Something tells me a butthurt Beebe got in the way of the B1G airing any content before our transition date.

However, I'm not 100% sure how our particular media rights work. Aren't they currently shared with the individual schools we play and those two schools can do with them as they please (within reason)? And if so, that would imply that we (and the B1G) are being gracious to the Big XII in not airing content on the B1G already?

On a side note, I do hope there is film/recording of the Bobfather's win against Michigan oh so long ago that the B1G could unearth and run. That, from what I understand (since it's before my time) was a pivotal game and point in Nebraska football history.

I would imagine that the Big Ten Network will try to show Nebraska in a very positive light so most of the old Husker games shown will be wins, but they may show some classics that we lost too. (1984 OB vs Miami and 1994 OB vs FSU come to mind) If they do it's not some vast Big Ten conspiracy against Nebraska. As of July 1 Nebraska will officially be part of the Big Ten Brand and from what I can see they protect the hell out of that brand.

The Big 10 Network plays Rose Bowl games from years past, so I assume they will eventually play Nebraska games from years past as well.

Last summer, I watched the Wisconsin vs. UCLA Rose Bowl game back from when Barry Alvarez was still head coach. It's not out of the question to expect old Nebraska games to be shown on television. And if they're games against non Big 10 opponents, I bet most of them will be victories we had.

I would imagine that the Big Ten Network will try to show Nebraska in a very positive light so most of the old Husker games shown will be wins, but they may show some classics that we lost too. (1984 OB vs Miami and 1994 OB vs FSU come to mind) If they do it's not some vast Big Ten conspiracy against Nebraska. As of July 1 Nebraska will officially be part of the Big Ten Brand and from what I can see they protect the hell out of that brand.

This.

They have made DONU their top draw the next 2 years, why in hell would they play old "Sooner Magic" games, or mid 2000's games where we were getting our asses handed to us by Mizzou? It wouldn't do their brand any good to show crap games.

I'm sure a Game of the Century, the 96 Fiesta Bowl, maybe some great games from the Crouch era, etc.

I really hope they don't show that 84 Miami game. ESPNU has run that game into ground. I want to watch those games where we blew out the competition (95 season!) those games are so much fun to watch.

I really hope they don't show that 84 Miami game. ESPNU has run that game into ground. I want to watch those games where we blew out the competition (95 season!) those games are so much fun to watch.

Ladyhawke,

I wholeheartedly agree, that game is painful. Let me approach this from a different angle. If you were introducing an entire fan base to Husker Football wouldn't that game, the 94 OB vs. FSU and some of the OU losses help to better understand Husker football? I know we hate to see those games, but shouldn't we also be proud of those games that have helped NU be what they have become? I'd argue the 92 OB where we got throttled by Miami is one to discuss about Husker football lore because that was really the final straw for TO to change what he was doing and the type of player he was recruiting and combined with the 94 OB set us up for 3 NC's in 4 years. We didn't just stumble into the 94, 95 and 97 seasons that was a man that had tremendous success changing what he did to let his teams get better. The 84 OB cemented TO's legacy.

Ahh, who knows maybe that just makes sense to me. :rant

Ladyhawke,

I wholeheartedly agree, that game is painful. Let me approach this from a different angle. If you were introducing an entire fan base to Husker Football wouldn't that game, the 94 OB vs. FSU and some of the OU losses help to better understand Husker football? I know we hate to see those games, but shouldn't we also be proud of those games that have helped NU be what they have become? I'd argue the 92 OB where we got throttled by Miami is one to discuss about Husker football lore because that was really the final straw for TO to change what he was doing and the type of player he was recruiting and combined with the 94 OB set us up for 3 NC's in 4 years. We didn't just stumble into the 94, 95 and 97 seasons that was a man that had tremendous success changing what he did to let his teams get better. The 84 OB cemented TO's legacy.

Thanks so much for that perspective. I've never considered the loses from that point of view. Thanks :) (It DOES make sense!!)

Ladyhawke,

Thanks so much for that perspective. I've never considered the loses from that point of view. Thanks :) (It DOES make sense!!)

I was at that 92 OB debacle, the weather before the game was so bad that they canceled the halftime spectacular. So the one time I got to the OB we get throttled and the only time I know of no halftime show. Yep, great evening! :facepalm:

My understanding is that they will show some old Nebraska games beginning in July. What will be nice is if they don't just show the games we lost.

I'm pretty sure any games they show that you lose would just be to another Big 10 school.

Yup. They will have to dig back to the televised games of the Golden Gophers demolishing NU in the '20s and '30s :sarcasm

I'm pretty sure any games they show that you lose would just be to another Big 10 school.

Yup. They will have to dig back to the televised games of the Golden Gophers demolishing NU in the '20s and '30s :sarcasm

Were any of those games done in HD or 3D? :lol:

I was thinking that now that we are part of the Big 10, will this network show any of the archived NU games? The only NU games ESPNU would usually show were the ones where we lost. It would be great to see all of the great ones, especially the championship season games. I know you can buy them on DVD but it would be cool for the rest of the Big 10 to see them.

Anyone have an info on the way the Big 10 Network will work?

Myth. ESPN replayed K-state, the first Washington game and Oklahoma State off the top of my head. People said the same thing last year. It was a myth then too.