Defensive depth

After looking at the defensive depth chart, I'm getting really excited about next year. We are stacked across every position. We have experience across the board. And considering how bad our offense has been the past 2 years, it can't get much worse... If our defense proves to be as good or almost as good and the offense gets just a little bit better, watch out.

At DE we've got Cameron Meredith, Josh williams, Jason ankrah, stud Joseph Carter coming in, and 3 redshift freshmen behind them. We're almost 3 deep there.

At DT we've got Jared crick, baker Steinkuhler, Thad randle, terrence Moore, chase Rome, and then jay guy, Jake cotton, Kevin williams, and Todd pear Jr coming up behind, we're easily 4 deep there without even having to tap into any true freshmen.

At LB we've got lavonte David, Sean fisher, will Compton, Eric martin if they wanna move him back, Alonzo Whaley, Trevor roach coming up, lots of seniors waiting to break out at any moment, and then throw David Santos and possibly mike morrow into the mix if mike makes it. We've got a solid 2 deep there if we go with a 3 LB system.

At S we've got Austin Cassidy, pj smith, Courtney Osborne, Corey Cooper and Harvey Jackson coming up, and them daimion stafford coming in, then throw in some lance thorell... We're easily 3 deep there. And most of those guys can play peso or small LB as well.

At CB we've got Alfonzo dennard, ciante Evans, Andrew green comin up, lazarri Middleton comin up, Charles Jackson comin in, and a ton of guys waiting to break out like Antonio bell, Josh Mitchell, etc. We're easily 3 deep here as well.

We know the defense is going to hold their own. And wr know the offense really can't get any worse, not to mention all the speed and talent we have coming up as Redshirt Fr. And true Fr. Coming in.

Yeah, I'm really excited about the athletes we have on defense. Several of these guys need plenty of coaching up, but they appear to be flat-out ballers, ready to rumble in the jungle. I look forward to these guys leading a renaissance of Blackshirt football.

I doubt seriously that Eric Martin goes back to LB. It just seems like he wasn't getting it, and he's got the physique for DE. If he gets his run assignments down he could be a true force off the edge. However, it seems just as likely that he'll be another Marcus Mendoza - a good athlete who just can't find a permanent spot on the field. I hope he isn't... but we'll see.

Good post.

I'm a little concerned about DE and LB. We have two legitimate studs at those positions in David and Meredith. Beyond those two we don't know much.

Compton and Fisher have playing time . . . but they have been mostly average.

Ankrah has some time . . . but he got pushed around when he saw the field.

We should be set at DT, S, and CB.

Yeah, I'm really excited about the athletes we have on defense. Several of these guys need plenty of coaching up, but they appear to be flat-out ballers, ready to rumble in the jungle. I look forward to these guys leading a renaissance of Blackshirt football.

I doubt seriously that Eric Martin goes back to LB. It just seems like he wasn't getting it, and he's got the physique for DE. If he gets his run assignments down he could be a true force off the edge. However, it seems just as likely that he'll be another Marcus Mendoza - a good athlete who just can't find a permanent spot on the field. I hope he isn't... but we'll see.

I can't see the staff putting that weight on Martin last year just for him to finish the year learning a new position, then move him back to LB. They wouldn't have done that, knowing full-well what lies ahead in the B1G

Good post.

I'm a little concerned about DE and LB. We have two legitimate studs at those positions in David and Meredith. Beyond those two we don't know much.

Compton and Fisher have playing time . . . but they have

been mostly average.

Ankrah has some time . . . but he got pushed around when he saw the field.

We should be set at DT, S, and CB.

Yeah I definitely think DE and LB are the defensive positions with the least amount of depth, but I still think we have enough guys to be okay even if we have a couple of injuries. It would be ideal to have more depth there, but that said, I'm not too worried that we'll be bad there.

I'm not saying they are not stacked, but I really think some are going to need to step up to fill the role of Gomes/Hagg. Gomes is easily the most underrated player this year.

Sound familiar? Posts just like this were made this time last year, only the names were O'Hanlon/Asante. This is the luxury we have with Bo - this time next year we'll be wondering who's going to step up and fill Dennard's shoes instead of Amukamara's, or Crick's shoes instead of Suh's, or David's shoes instead of Dillard's.

I love these posts. I hope we see them every year. It means we had some really good guys on defense. Reloading, not rebuilding.

Love it.

Chart of stackedness, from most stacked to least stacked:

DT: Jared Crick, Baker Steinkuhler, Terrence Moore, Chase Rome, Thad Randle, Jay Guy, Kevin Williams, Jake Cotton

CB: Alfonzo Dennard, Ciante Evans, Antonio Bell, Anthony Blue, Lance Thorell, Dijon Washington, Andrew Green, Lazarri Middleton, Josh Mitchell

S: PJ Smith, Courtney Osborne, Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson, (Austin Cassidy?)

DE: Camstache, Jason Ankrah, Josh Williams, Eric Martin, Donovan Vestal, Joe Carter

LB: Lavonte David, Sean Fisher, Will Compton, Alonzo Whaley, Mathew May

Nickel: Austin Cassidy, ??

Chart of stackedness, from most stacked to least stacked:

DT: Jared Crick, Baker Steinkuhler, Terrence Moore, Chase Rome, Thad Randle, Jay Guy, Kevin Williams, Jake Cotton

CB: Alfonzo Dennard, Ciante Evans, Antonio Bell, Anthony Blue, Lance Thorell, Dijon Washington, Andrew Green, Lazarri Middleton, Josh Mitchell

S: PJ Smith, Courtney Osborne, Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson, (Austin Cassidy?)

DE: Camstache, Jason Ankrah, Josh Williams, Eric Martin, Donovan Vestal, Joe Carter

LB: Lavonte David, Sean Fisher, Will Compton, Alonzo Whaley, Mathew May

Nickel: Austin Cassidy, ??

Excellent breakdown. Stafford could probably help at nickel.