Dark Horse Heisman Contenders for 2011

This is an insider article by ESPN's Bruce Feldman. Click Here

He ranks the top 10 Heisman Dark Horse Candidates of 2011 and has Taylor Martinez on the list as number 2! He gives an analysis of each of his picks and why they are on his list, but here is the list.

It's nice to see ESPN starting to give us some love lately!

1. Geno Smith QB, West Virginia Mountaineers

2. Taylor Martinez QB, Nebraska Cornhuskers

3. EJ Manuel QB, Florida State Seminoles

4. Ryan Tannehill QB, Texas A&M Aggies

5. Alshon Jeffery WR, South Carolina Gamecocks

6. Brock Osweiler QB, Arizona State Sun Devils

7. Edwin Baker RB, Michigan State Spartans

8. Michael Dyer RB, Auburn Tigers

9. David Wilson RB, Virginia Tech Hokies

10. (tie) Jeff Godfrey QB, UCF Knights

& Isaiah Crowell RB, Georgia Bulldogs

I guess I agree that it would be surprising if any of those guys become legit Heisman contenders, with the exception of Geno Smith. He showed flashes of brilliance last year putting up some really beautiful passes, and proved to be pretty elusive. If Holgorsen works his magic and West Virginia puts up big numbers in a weak Big East, then I wouldn't be surprised to see his name getting thrown around.

For me honestly, if guys would really watch the whole game and then a whole season, the person on this team that would best fit the original list of qualities the Heisman is supposed to be about is Rex. The things he does in all facets of the offensive game is amazing and a blast to watch. Things that probably lead to all the other players and coaches praising him as the ultimate team player.

However, as we have see the last 20 years or so the trophey is 90% sure to go to the "best player on the best team". It is a shame.

Rex is and probably always be the darkhorse. He is/was worth the hype. And he will only(with good health, fingers crossed) become SOOOOO much better.

• Fire 2