Bubba Starling will be facing decision of a lifetime

ADS

Let me start by saying I believe Bubba will take the money and never play for NU. However, I think some of you are over-simplifying the money over college issue.

Think back to when you were 17 or 18 and the way you perceived everything back then. Now imagine you've been a god in every sport you've ever played all your life. You're 17 or 18 trying to decide whether you want to go get paid, or go to college. I don't know about anyone else, but I garauntee this is how my thinking would have gone:

"I'd really like to have that money. Mom and Dad could use the help, plus I'd be loaded. I could throw huge parties for all my friends and get all the hot chics I want. But I'd be spending all my time with guys who are 20, 30, 40 or older. With all the traveling and such a long season, I'll never see my family and old friends. How am I going to meet hot chics when I'm soaking in a cold tub every night with a 32 year old pitcher. Will those guys like me? How will I possibly fit in with those dudes?

"I guess I could go play football and baseball at college for a few years. I know I'm good enough to play immediately in both. I'd really be a god on campus after I lead both teams to National Championships (remember, you're 17/18, this is how you think). I'd be able to party all the time and meet tons of hot chics, they'd all want to do the starting QB and star baseball player. Plus it's close to home, I'd be able to see family/friends or have them come see me all the time. I'll just make my millions after winning a few championships and partying in college. I won't get injured, I haven't been injured seriously yet. Even if I do get hurt, I'll have time to recover. It's 3 years until my next draft anyway."

Again, in no way do I think Bubba will come to NU, but to assume a 17 year old is thinking solely about financial security is a bit ridiculous.

Hot chicks.!!! Ever heard of groupies. The pros are surronded with them. If any thing would keep someone from going pro, it wouldn't be not having hot chicks to chose from. :)

GBR!!!

GBR!!!

Take the money and run, Bubba. Sounds like his family needs it.

would you accept a significant amount of money from your son? it'd be a really hard thing for me to do anyway, this may not be an issue.

No. Dads (Moms too) are supposed to be providers... Maybe I am just old fashioned...

Some say Bubba Starling can run a 4.3-second 40-yard dash and throw a football 50 yards from his knees. He’s signed to play quarterback at Nebraska, and he plans to play baseball in Lincoln, too. On the basketball court, he can shoot the three-pointer and dunk over most anyone. And if he ran track, the Blazers probably would win state this year.

THAT BILL BRASKY IS A SONOFABITCH!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Take the money and run, Bubba. Sounds like his family needs it.

would you accept a significant amount of money from your son? it'd be a really hard thing for me to do anyway, this may not be an issue.

No. Dads (Moms too) are supposed to be providers... Maybe I am just old fashioned...

Eh. Sometimes reality trumps wishes.

I've never bailed out my parents (Yet . . . and I hope it's never necessary) but my dad once had to help out his father. He was paid back with interest . . . all part of that 80s farmland business.

I don't see it as a big deal.

honestly - when I think about old fashioned, I think of the families that worked a farm from dawn til dusk to raise a family. when raised, the men of that family took over the farm and took care of the parents, raising their kids...and so on and so one. It's a child's personal responsibility to care for their parents in their latter years. It's something that's been lost in this country, but look at other cultures where family is more of a core to their daily lives. Japan, etc.

This would just be a more modern method of doing that (and maybe a little earlier than planned). I could easily see where Bubba would feel like he has a responsibilty to his parents to do this for them. I am also confident that his parents are stressing that it's not his responsibility and it shouldn't play into his decision...but he seems like the type of kid that would really want to do it.

honestly - when I think about old fashioned, I think of the families that worked a farm from dawn til dusk to raise a family. when raised, the men of that family took over the farm and took care of the parents, raising their kids...and so on and so one. It's a child's personal responsibility to care for their parents in their latter years. It's something that's been lost in this country, but look at other cultures where family is more of a core to their daily lives. Japan, etc.

This would just be a more modern method of doing that (and maybe a little earlier than planned). I could easily see where Bubba would feel like he has a responsibilty to his parents to do this for them. I am also confident that his parents are stressing that it's not his responsibility and it shouldn't play into his decision...but he seems like the type of kid that would really want to do it.

That's basically how I feel about it as well.

Golly. All this talk of the altruistic youngster from Kansas taking care of his feeble, aged, poverty-stricken parents makes me well up in tears. So here’s some sad violin music to go along with this thread. (Sheesh. You guys should write soap operas.)