VIDEO: Brett Maher 40yd FG

God.... KC Hyland is frickin huge.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Hyland is a good 3 - 4 inches taller than Baptist. And no way he's only 210 lbs like it says on the roster. Prolly 15 - 20 lbs heavier than listed.

Bo said Maher would have been starting for many teams last year, he was just stuck behind Alex. I'm cautiously optimistic about the kicking game, and silly as it may sound, that's one aspect of the game I hope to see showcased this week at the Spring Game.

Bo says a lot of things. Let's hope he wasn't just full of crap on this one.

And (not to compare Maher to The Great AH, which isn't fair to Maher at all, but why not) I don't know if Maher is really getting the ball that high up the net. Henery kicked 40 yarders over the net, and Maher's are nowhere near that. Knowing that Henery could kick between 60-65 in those same practice conditions, I'm guessing Maher can go between 50 and 55. Which, if past history with Bo's choice on whether to go or punt is any indicator, I'd say Maher's "in game limit" is probably no more than 45 or so.

Which isn't great, but isn't really all that terrible. But we've been spoiled out of our minds so next year it's going to feel like Maher's not that good. I feel bad for the kid.

Feel bad for Brett for a different reason than most of you. My opinions on him will always be clouded by my family's experience with Brett's dad who is/was the AD at Cenntenial High School in a small town in Nebraska. Don't know if the address is considered York or whatever. Very interesting man to say the least.

I will cheer for Brett because he is a Husker and that overrides any personal qualm any member of my family has had with Mr. Maher.