Favorite/Least Favorite Announcers

Roark

Not college, but I really like the MNF crew with Jon Gruden.

Someone said earlier they didn't like Gruden, but I like him, too. He's not polished, but he's got a great head for the game and can tell you more than the average mic jockey. And he's WAAAAY better than the fools they've had in the past, like Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser, Dan Dierdorf and Boomer Esiason, or Dan Fouts and the single worst announcer in the history of MNF, Dennis Miller.

Monday Night Football tries to be too much. They muck it up with their stupid music number intro and their attempts to have these edgy, big-time booth personalities. The glory of Monday Night Football is that it's FOOTBALL. On MONDAY NIGHT. Maybe some day they'll realize that and get some people on the air who won't take away from the game..... but I'm not holding my breath.

Someone said earlier they didn't like Gruden, but I like him, too. He's not polished, but he's got a great head for the game and can tell you more than the average mic jockey. And he's WAAAAY better than the fools they've had in the past, like Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser, Dan Dierdorf and Boomer Esiason, or Dan Fouts and the single worst announcer in the history of MNF, Dennis Miller.

*Gruden Voice*

Jon Gruden. Now here's a guy who just flat out knows more about football than the guy next to him and, on top of that, can announce football games. He's big time.

But I do like him a lot. Really surprised he hasn't gotten back into coaching though.

My favorite announcer of them all is Collinsworth. He just speaks his mind on everything and doesn't seem afraid to say certain things. I really don't know if I could choose a favorite college football announcer right now. Seems like everyone has something about them that annoys me. I suppose that's why they do college games as opposed to NFL games, though.

Favorite: Pam Ward (Soo sexy) Jim Lampley (cool, intense voice, knows what he's talking about) Roy Jones Jr. ("pound for pound, the baddest thing throwing down") Larry Merchant (sounds half-drunk most of the time) Harold Reynolds (hehe)

Least: Verne Lunquidst (fat) Craig James (douche) Darrell Waltrip (want to strangle him everytime I hear "boogity, boogity, boogity!!!") every single FOX announcer who ever announced a BCS or Cotton Bowl game over the last 5 years (sucked....just sucked beyond belief)

First you hassle our girl Marin and now you slander Verne? While it irks me that he is basically the voice of the SEC, the man could make a coin toss sound epic. He is the James Earl Jones of college sports announcers. That man is holy ground, my friend. I am with you 100% on Craig James.

Glad to see someone came to Verne's defense! He is obviously my favorite because he's my uncle! He's been a part of some great calls through the years, and is a great guy with a ton of funny stories about a lot of the others mentioned in this thread.

I never really notice who's announcing unless I can't get "into" the game.

I always liked Keith Jackson, mainly because he reminded me of John Teter (My Fav. Physics Teacher at HHS).

And even though Lou Holth is just evil, I do appreciate when he's on TV because it subconciously reminds me to dust off my picture tube and use windex this time.

I could kick myself for not watching MNF while Dennis Miller was on..I used to like his comedy.

The only one that I've noticed in a good way lately was John Gruden and a current fav, would probably be Fowler even if he was a Buff.

Seems like so many hate Mushberger..Why has he stayed on so long? Howard Cosellism?

Monday Night Football tries to be too much. They muck it up with their stupid music number intro and their attempts to have these edgy, big-time booth personalities. The glory of Monday Night Football is that it's FOOTBALL. On MONDAY NIGHT. Maybe some day they'll realize that and get some people on the air who won't take away from the game..... but I'm not holding my breath.

As a little kid, I actually loved the music intro. I don't think it's stupid these days, but it's one of those things where the badass-itude fades a bit over the years. But MNF was magical (and cool) back in the day...are you ready for some footbawl?!

I like Collinsworth too. He's another one of those guys that's big time, right there.

Lyell Bremser (who did the man, woman, and child phrase) seemed like he made listening to the game fun. That was way before my time, but I like the more play-by-play announcing. I don't really like listening to the opinions that some announcers seem to think they need to throw in. Seems like announcing a game is a bit of a lost art.

Collinsworth is turrble. Almost everything he says can be taken out of context to sound sexual, plus he's a blithering idiot. Joe Buck is mindnumbingly boring. Those are the only NFL announcers I actively dislike. Collinsworth makes me REALLY miss Madden. And I was never a big Madden guy. At least Madden's idiocy was lovable.

You know...I can somehow give Bob Griese a pass. I mean...his freakin son played for Michigan. Some of you may be as coldly rational as Vulcans, but I think I might be biased in favor of my own child if I was put in that spot.

Now, clearly, we were the better team in '97. I have eyeballs, and no children in the equation. So, it's pretty obvious. The coaches felt the same way. (What would they know about the quality of a cfb team though? The press was clearly better informed.)

Collinsworth is really good. A vast improvement over the likes of Joe "Hey, I broke a leg!" Theismann. Never really cared for Madden. Really liked the subdued style of Summerall. Keith Jackson is great. Musburger is too humble for my tastes. He's too pro Nebraska also. Have some objectivity Brent!

Pam Ward. No. No. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I watched that clip of the textbook hit Courtney Osborne put on Blaine Gabbert the other day. YES!!! Wait...what?! Fans should ask themselves...do they like football? Because Ed Cunningham clearly has a serious problem with the game itself. I would like my announcers to actually appreciate and enjoy the game as much as I do, TV executives. Note: I, for one, do not want to remove physical contact from the game of football. Do you guys do bowling telecasts? That might be a better fit for Ed.

Oops! Forgot about pin action. Ed would be horrified. Televised knitting? Or Kitten petting. That's it! Let Ed announce a show featuring kindergartners petting baby kittens.

As a little kid, I actually loved the music intro. I don't think it's stupid these days, but it's one of those things where the badass-itude fades a bit over the years. But MNF was magical (and cool) back in the day...are you ready for some footbawl?!

I like Collinsworth too. He's another one of those guys that's big time, right there.

That's an excellent point.

In elementary school, I remember throwing pillows down on the ground every night before MNF, and then I would just wait for the music intro to come on to get me excited and pumped up. Everything (except the Tunnel Walk) is less exciting than it used to be, but the song is something I'll always like. I don't think the stupid music video it's turned in to, however.

All that said, my least favorite announcers are the ones who fit the mold and don't have exciting language.

Cris Collinsworth is one of those guys who nobody is neutral on. People either like him or hate him. I like him. But what do I know?——I also like Kirk Herbstreit. Okay, I’m out of the closet with my like for Herbstreit. And I like sammiches too. Take your best shot. heh