NCAA Rule Changes

Bradr

I can only assume that the officials are going to be extremely careful in how they call this. I have to think the NCAA and the officials know how controversial this taunting rule is, and they don't want to be forced into changing it back (which I think could happen if there are some bad calls at critical moments in games and the public outrage becomes great enough).

Enhance89, there is no earthly way you're in the minority on this issue. I have to think that about 95% of sports fans everywhere think the taunting rule is a pile of crap that will be hard to enforce and will only create controversy.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the second rule is stupid. I accept others' opinions about them, but at the same time I don't understand the constant desire or need from our society to make sure everything is politically correct and fair for all audience members. If somebody wants to put a bible verse on their eye-black - let em. If they want to write "I love you, Dad." - let em. It doesn't hurt anybody. I can understand not having derogatory terms or language on eye-black, but people who complain about that kind of stuff really need to find better ways to live their lives.

And I can already see the taunting rule becoming an extremely volatile issue. If a qb throws up a hail marry, the wr catches it at the ten yard line and points into the crowd as he runs into the end zone to win the game, is that taunting? This rule is going to be extremely subjective and is going to be abused about as badly as roughing the quarterback is or helmet to helmet contact rulings.

+1

Link

• No Wedge Blocking on Kick Offs (15 yard penalty)
  • No Taunting (from spot of foul, potentially eliminating the score)
  • No Eye Black Containing Messages or Symbols

At some point this season, that second one is really going to hurt a team or two. And be totally bogus at the same time.

I love how the NCAA is micromanaging the fun right out of college sports.

At least it will prepare the players for the NFL (No Fun League).

I guess I'm in the minority then.. Only takes me 5 minutes of watching a FSU or Miami game to think the taunting rule might be a good thing.

It's simple.. teach the kids that when they make a great play or get into the endzone to act like they've been there before and like they'll get there again.

I don't mind a little celebration, but when you score, toss the ball to the refs and celebrate with your team mates while you run back to the sidelines. Don't stand there showboating or rub it in to the other team. It's called showing a little class.

• Fire 1

Wedge Blocking? Yeah, prolly a good idea. It's a safety thing.

Taunting/Eye makeup? Come on. Who really cares about these?

Sometimes the ncaa acts like a crabby nun at a Catholic gradeschool. Rapping everyone's knuckles with a ruler over every little issue.

• Fire 2

I guess I'm in the minority then.. Only takes me 5 minutes of watching a FSU or Miami game to think the taunting rule might be a good thing.

It's simple.. teach the kids that when they make a great play or get into the endzone to act like they've been there before and like they'll get there again.

I don't mind a little celebration, but when you score, toss the ball to the refs and celebrate with your team mates while you run back to the sidelines. Don't stand there showboating or rub it in to the other team. It's called showing a little class.

The problem lies with the fact that there's no way to legitimately call this foul fairly in every single game. False start penalties are cut and dry - if you move before the ball is snapped, you lose five yards. But with this rule you're asking a referee (who many already argue don't do a very good job in the college game) to distinguish between taunting, celebrating and everything in between. In my opinion, this rule is the most subjective and unfair rule in all of college football.

There's no possible way to contain excitement when you take the lead on a big score with less than one minute to play. If I catch a 60-yard pass with 30 seconds left and I'm 10 yards ahead of the safety, you can bet your ass I'm going to throw my arms up and point to the crowd on my way to the end zone.

This rule is asking young football players to become robots on the football field and act like pristine cupcakes after - or before - they score a touchdown.

Tommie Frazier's 65-yard touchdown run in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl could be called taunting and the score could be reversed. Think about that - one of the most famous plays in all of Husker history could have been ruled ineligible.

It's something I just can't stomach.

• Fire 3

The problem lies with the fact that there's no way to legitimately call this foul fairly in every single game. False start penalties are cut and dry - if you move before the ball is snapped, you lose five yards. But with this rule you're asking a referee (who many already argue don't do a very good job in the college game) to distinguish between taunting, celebrating and everything in between. In my opinion, this rule is the most subjective and unfair rule in all of college football.

There's no possible way to contain excitement when you take the lead on a big score with less than one minute to play. If I catch a 60-yard pass with 30 seconds left and I'm 10 yards ahead of the safety, you can bet your ass I'm going to throw my arms up and point to the crowd on my way to the end zone.

This rule is asking young football players to become robots on the football field and act like pristine cupcakes after - or before - they score a touchdown.

Tommie Frazier's 65-yard touchdown run in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl could be called taunting and the score could be reversed. Think about that - one of the most famous plays in all of Husker history could have been ruled ineligible.

FTFY

FTFY

Oops. I think mis-spelled the word originally and must have clicked the wrong word to correct it with lol. Thanks.

I agree this new rule is one of the worst rules ever. I can't wait to see what happens when they use this rule to reverse a game winning touchdown. Players should be allowed to show emotion and calling penalties on those type of plays is way too subjective.

Is this taunting:

eric-martin-throw-bones.jpg

Yup. 15 yard penalty too.

bullpies!!!

A Taunt is an insult intended to demoralize the recipient, or to anger them and encourage reactionary behaviors without thinking.

To me, those words mean that if the Taunt is directed towards the opposing team or fanbase, its a penalty.

Link

• No Wedge Blocking on Kick Offs (15 yard penalty)
  • No Taunting (from spot of foul, potentially eliminating the score)
  • No Eye Black Containing Messages or Symbols

At some point this season, that second one is really going to hurt a team or two. And be totally bogus at the same time.

I like the third one, because I am tired of seeing players putting their personal causes on the eye black. It is a team sport.

I don't like the taunting rule, it is subjective.