Carnes Starter?

If the stuff about Carnes and picking up the new offense are right, I am thinking no way he starts next year. Promising developmental prospect is the role he's going to take right now.

That's why I listed him as #3. We can afford to give him, basically, a second redshirt year without the live fire game week stuff, unless it's an emergency. That would be great for him.

Knowing the offense is a pretty key aspect of being a QB.

Do you know if any of the reports on Carnes not picking up the offense are posted online? It would be interesting to see exactly what's being said and in what context. I've heard the same thing from multiple people, and apparently even Bo mentioned it during (or after) the game today... I'm wondering if it has do with some nuances of Beck's hurry-up system, or the plays or what.

1) Martinez will start the season opener and deservingly so. I just think if he gets injured (which is likely) or doesn't play well that Carnes should def. be the guy to step in.

2) People need to quit with all the BS of not knowing the offense. It's April, I think by Sept. he will know what he's doing. I hear this year after year when we don't let the good players play.

Wasnt Taylor still picking up our offense last year at this time. Come on Brion has been hear 3 months and you guys saying he wont start because he doesnt know the offense. He may not start the first game, but Brion will make a start this year.

He's actually been here since last summer, so more like 10 months, but he's only been learning the new offense for a few months.

If the stuff about Carnes and picking up the new offense are right, I am thinking no way he starts next year. Promising developmental prospect is the role he's going to take right now.

That's why I listed him as #3. We can afford to give him, basically, a second redshirt year without the live fire game week stuff, unless it's an emergency. That would be great for him.

Knowing the offense is a pretty key aspect of being a QB.

Do you know if any of the reports on Carnes not picking up the offense are posted online? It would be interesting to see exactly what's being said and in what context. I've heard the same thing from multiple people, and apparently even Bo mentioned it during (or after) the game today... I'm wondering if it has do with some nuances of Beck's hurry-up system, or the plays or what.

Not sure, just heard it referenced by some people in forums and also heard that Bo said it today after the game. So it should be in some articles now.

That's not to take away from Brion, I am sure he would be a serviceable starter for us. But the key point is...he doesn't need to be this year, and it'd be better to not throw him into the fire right now. So from that angle, I really hope Taylor will be nothing but solid as a starter this year, so Brion can get his feet wet at a few times, and not much else. Sounds like he'll be challenging before long though. But I always say you do everything you can to win now, and right now that sounds like Taylor (or Green, even) over taking lumps a second straight year with a RFr...however promising he may be.

Wasnt Taylor still picking up our offense last year at this time. Come on Brion has been hear 3 months and you guys saying he wont start because he doesnt know the offense. He may not start the first game, but Brion will make a start this year.

He's actually been here since last summer, so more like 10 months, but he's only been learning the new offense for a few months.

Right my bad. Carnes was on scout team last year probably was were my thinking was.

Keep in mind two things, though, when you consider whether Carnes can challenge this fall:

1) We scrapped the old offense, and though the new one is very similar, all 3 guys are learning a new system. So, Carnes theoretically could pick it up faster than the other two, even though they've been here longer.

2) Taylor was not 100% today, and it could be quite a while until he actually is. What if this turns into one of those nagging injuries that follows a guy around his entire career? God forbid, but it could happen. Is a gimpy Martinez really the best choice to run our offense? We saw what it looked like at the tail end of the year, and it was not pretty for our offense.

Regarding #1 - this offense is basically being tailor-made for Taylor. If he doesn't have the best grasp of this offense of all our QBs, he'll never start another game.

#2 - This is a good point. I would hope that Carnes progresses well enough to be able to functionally lead this team if Martinez goes through another injury spell. If not... I'm not sure we can succeed with Cody.

Last year's offense was just for Taylor as well. When we ran into a team with an athletic defense and a few game films, it was pretty ugly (Texas).

There's a reason nobody else recruited him at QB, and it isn't because we found a hidden gem nobody else knew about. I don't really envision him improving much in the most important areas (mechanics, pocket poise, making reads, etc.). I could be wrong. But winning the Big 10 without a passing game will be really tough.

I know he hasn't played a snap of college football, but Carnes sure looks like a solid passer. Not sure how he'd perform overall against the likes of OSU and Wisconsin, but I don't think we should rule out using him this season.

-Carnes looks like he'll be a solid qb but doesn't appear to be the best option this year if Martinez is healthy.

-I would still take Carnes over Cody this year.

We really just need to do whatever it was we did in the Oklahoma St game last year offensively.

End of story.

OK, so we just need to make sure all the passing defenses we face are ranked 115th or lower.

• Fire 1

Keep in mind two things, though, when you consider whether Carnes can challenge this fall:

1) We scrapped the old offense, and though the new one is very similar, all 3 guys are learning a new system. So, Carnes theoretically could pick it up faster than the other two, even though they've been here longer.

2) Taylor was not 100% today, and it could be quite a while until he actually is. What if this turns into one of those nagging injuries that follows a guy around his entire career? God forbid, but it could happen. Is a gimpy Martinez really the best choice to run our offense? We saw what it looked like at the tail end of the year, and it was not pretty for our offense.

Regarding #1 - this offense is basically being tailor-made for Taylor. If he doesn't have the best grasp of this offense of all our QBs, he'll never start another game.

#2 - This is a good point. I would hope that Carnes progresses well enough to be able to functionally lead this team if Martinez goes through another injury spell. If not... I'm not sure we can succeed with Cody.

Last year's offense was just for Taylor as well. When we ran into a team with an athletic defense and a few game films, it was pretty ugly (Texas).

There's a reason nobody else recruited him at QB, and it isn't because we found a hidden gem nobody else knew about. I don't really envision him improving much in the most important areas (mechanics, pocket poise, making reads, etc.). I could be wrong. But winning the Big 10 without a passing game will be really tough.

I know he hasn't played a snap of college football, but Carnes sure looks like a solid passer. Not sure how he'd perform overall against the likes of OSU and Wisconsin, but I don't think we should rule out using him this season.

Oh Jeeez....I've heard that 10,000 times. What the use.... :dunno

But hey, do ya think maybe, just "maybe" our wrs dropping about ten passes (quite possibly 2 or 3 for TDs) just might have had something to do with us losing to Texas? But nahhhh...of course not, Tmart sucks!!

I would not underestimate the ability of Carnes to learn the playbook before fall arrives. It is early in his progression and whether its against the 2nd or 1st string defense, he executed well! I see the same senario that some have already posted- the chance that Martinez gets banged up and then a door will open for Carnes to play if he doesn't get the initial "starting spot". At the very least he seems good enough to play before we put another hobbled QB in. I also know Bo is not afraid to start the guy he thinks will give this team the best chance to win. GBR

-Carnes looks like he'll be a solid qb but doesn't appear to be the best option this year if Martinez is healthy.

-I would still take Carnes over Cody this year.

We really just need to do whatever it was we did in the Oklahoma St game last year offensively.

End of story.

OK, so we just need to make sure all the passing defenses we face are ranked 115th or lower.

hey hey...don't counter someone's opinion with a fact. I'm pretty sure that is against board rules :laughpound.