Line Play?

I didn't think the offensive lines played very well. To be honest, several of the good runs I saw today came because of good moves by the running back and not necessarily good line play. I saw running backs having to break several tackles to break off a good run, and I also saw our running backs running sideline to sideline a lot because their hole in the middle was completely closed.

I don't know if this should be attributed to our defensive line or what, but I would have liked to see them play slightly better.

That said, they did a great job of selling stretch plays when Legate had his two touchdown runs. And, for the most part, I saw good protection. I was however unimpressed with the running backs' ability to pick up blitzes at times.

I think it'll be hard to judge our O Lines from this game. They're playing against a VERY deep D Line, even without Crick and Stache.

There were some plays where our Linemen were beaten badly. EMart knifed through for a sack in the first half that looked as if he wasn't even blocked. But again, was that because of poor line play, or was that because EMart made a tremendous play on his own? I remember remarking a couple of times today that if he can play like that, and Stache and Crick can get back to full health, we'll have a hell of a D Line this year. Scary good, in fact.

On the positive side, the line seemed to open up a couple of pretty good holes for Legate's TDs. And Burkhead had a fine run early on where he basically followed his blockers for 10-12 yards.

From the stats there was 54yds lost rushing along with 19 penalties and 3 fumbles lost, ouch.

The fumbles were bad, especially Green's. His fumble was all too reminiscent of some of his blunders last year.

Also, I don't know if those 19 penalties include the three that Bo "imposed" on the Red team to screw around with them. But either way, the penalties don't bother me that much because of how jumbled those teams were. Once you have guys in there who are comfortable with each other, the timing and other penalties will work themselves out. Plus, several penalties yesterday were holding calls, and I have a feeling that had a lot to do with relatively inexperienced linemen being thrown up against very experienced defensive linemen.

19 penalities....ugh...... :facepalm:

apparently nothing got fixed this spring.

Don't forget - continuity along a football line and at the other six positions on the offense is important to team chemistry and execution. With the amount of rotations they made yesterday and the fact that the guys playing next to each other won't be the same ones taking the field in September tells me that the penalties shouldn't be such a bad thing.

If we have a lot of penalties against opponents in our non-con, then I'll be worried. But a lot of penalties in a spring practice with jumbled teams, not so much.

Speaking of penalties, what the hell was going on with the sideline interfernce? There were like 3 of them...like really its a spring game. Also, we got our first taste of the new celebration rule when Jamal flipped into the endzone. I dont really mind, iis a spring game, have your fun. I know he learned something because I saw Bo rip his ass when he got to the sideline lol.

Don't forget - continuity along a football line and at the other six positions on the offense is important to team chemistry and execution. With the amount of rotations they made yesterday and the fact that the guys playing next to each other won't be the same ones taking the field in September tells me that the penalties shouldn't be such a bad thing.

If we have a lot of penalties against opponents in our non-con, then I'll be worried. But a lot of penalties in a spring practice with jumbled teams, not so much.

i hope we are improved and out of excuses come this fall.... :bang

i hope we are improved and out of excuses come this fall.... :bang

Agreed. No excuses for penalties in the fall.