I have been trying to get online on PS3 to play games and try to access downloads, and keep getting a message, "server down due to maintenance". I found out from a friend of mine the other day that the "maintenance" is possibly due to 1 or more people who were let go from Sony/Amazon "hacking" the server. I wonder how many millions and millions of PS3 users are feeling the effects of this? For one thing, the free downloads that were supposed to come with WWE All Stars are supposed to be available online, but with the server being down, I guess I get to wait a little longer. Who knows if we are able to access Netflix too, maybe its a little different though. Anyhow its enough to make someone :ahhhhhhhh:madash :madash

All things PSN, including nextflix, the PSN store, online gaming or anything else that requires the internet has been down since Wed night. Sony has a statement on the PSN blog that it is do to an 'external intrusion' and that they have to 'rebuild the network'

I'm past frustrated, I want the culprits to have at the minimum long jail sentences, or better yet, chop off their fingers.

All things PSN, including nextflix, the PSN store, online gaming or anything else that requires the internet has been down since Wed night. Sony has a statement on the PSN blog that it is do to an 'external intrusion' and that they have to 'rebuild the network'

I'm past frustrated, I want the culprits to have at the minimum long jail sentences, or better yet, chop off their fingers.

Yup Playstation is rebuilding their network because it was hacked into. Sony pissed off the wrong people and thats why the network is down.

Stupid hackers serious get a freakin life.

Call your credit card company if you have cc info saved on the PSN. Latest news says you may be at risk. just an FYI.

Sony's confirmed it...finally. <_<

Per Joystiq

“Here's what's in the definitely jacked column: "name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID…

…In the possibly jacked column: "profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers.”

In other words—if you have the email address associated with your PSN ID and password combo used elsewhere, you’ll should change the password post-haste. Additionally, if you remember what security question you used for the PSN, you will want to make sure it’s not used elsewhere.

And no, Sony doesn't have password or security question information to provide us. That should tell us the depths of the attack right there.

• 2 weeks later...

And now a report comes out that PSN won't be back up til May 31st! 6 weeks! Because some self absorbed, self righteous, hacker is pissed off because Sony doesn't want them pirating games and other media on the PS3. Headaches for the 100 Million people who had info stolen. Millions of dollars lost to Sony and all the other companies who sell through PSN, be it games, or movies. When they catch the pos, jail is too good.

And now a report comes out that PSN won't be back up til May 31st! 6 weeks! Because some self absorbed, self righteous, hacker is pissed off because Sony doesn't want them pirating games and other media on the PS3. Headaches for the 100 Million people who had info stolen. Millions of dollars lost to Sony and all the other companies who sell through PSN, be it games, or movies. When they catch the pos, jail is too good.

As much as I get the hacker hate, it is very unlikely that "some self absorbed, self righteous, hacker" is responsible. The people that were attacking Sony publicly are not hackers, just a bunch of <18 year olds that find it funny to flood websites with too much traffic and take them down. They actually had a reason to be ticked at sony. Sony was dragging people into court for messing with hardware they owned after Sony removed an advertised feature. It's honestly a shame that the person that Sony was dragging into court settled because if he hadn't you and I might actually OWN the hardware we bought and be able to do with it as we pleased instead of basically renting things like your PS3 and the minute you crack them open to see/mess with how they work you become a criminal.

Anyhow that group is very unlikely responsible for taking down the PSN, SoE, etc. That's more then likely just a bunch of credit card thieves and they don't care about any of the political or ethical circumstances surrounding Sony, just money. They also get the added benefit of having Sony and the press blame the kids so they'll likely get away.

The fact that it is still down is likely because companies like Visa and Mastercard have sent in their own security auditors to Sony. They are trying to protect their business. Which is good for us as customers or card holders. Although I certainly wont be a Sony customer any more after seeing how important they think it is to protect my data. So I'd argue that if you want to direct hate anywhere, direct it at Sony. Who apparently decided to store their customers information on supposedly "old and unpatched" servers without decent security policies allowing the breach and theft of customer data in the first place.