David hungry for more

Husker LB David not content with his 2010 success

As Lavonte David remembers it, the meeting took place in the days after the South Dakota State game.

The Husker linebacker remembers walking into Carl Pelini's office and talking about what he felt was wrong with his thought process on the football field.

"I just told him the truth about everything," David said. "How sometimes I probably need more time in the film room or individual (drills). I knew the defense, but at the same time I didn't know the why."

Why did the defense work the way it did? What did his role mean to everyone else on the field?

"That's the one thing I tried to learn and once I understood that, everything just took off from there."

In the next line of the article BC "injects an important piece of information." It's pretty telling about the kind of player David is. I think it's safe to say we should expect big things from him this year.

Don't count out Fisher. Prior to injury (and Lavonte's emergence), he was our most solid linebacker.

Do you think Fisher's decline in production the latter half of his Redshirt Freshman year was due to his talent not being what we need at the LB spot, or was the competition just that much better rendering him ineffective, or do you see the injury having affected his play? He pretty much dropped off a cliff the latter half of they year.

Don't count out Fisher. Prior to injury (and Lavonte's emergence), he was our most solid linebacker.

Do you think Fisher's decline in production the latter half of his Redshirt Freshman year was due to his talent not being what we need at the LB spot, or was the competition just that much better rendering him ineffective, or do you see the injury having affected his play? He pretty much dropped off a cliff the latter half of they year.

Hm, I think both our young LBs that year - Fisher and Compton - struggled with being redshirt freshmen, as well as being a bit undersized. I think they were often criticized for being a liability in taking on blockers. But by the next season - last fall - Fisher was supposedly our top linebacker. I think it was a lot of positive buzz about his development that we never really got to see. Still, it's a reason not to count him out, as thin as our LBs are.

We were going to run a lot more 2 LB sets with Fisher in than we ended up running last year, I think...once we sorted the safeties out, it was pretty much Lavonte + Hagg/Gomes replacing the two LB spots, + Cassidy/Osborne as our safeties. I'm not sure even in the early going if we ran as much 2 LB as it looked like we would prior to the season...a strong sign that Fisher was viewed in high regard by the coaches, if his being knocked out for the year dictated such a change in what our "Best 11" personnel was on defense.

It's hard enough to live up to promising buzz, and even harder to predict what might happen after a year-long layoff from injury. So it's definitely no sure thing..but we're running 4-3 base, right? So there is plenty of opportunity for him, Whaley, and Compton.

I would say probably whaley. Everything I've seen of fisher had not been good. In the spring game Rex made him look like his feet were stuck in mud. His body type is not suit for a big10 linebacker imo. He is too tall and lanky.

To me it doesn't matter if you can lay someone out. Eric Martin could, but he was rarely in the right place. Fisher has good instincts and just needs to be around the ball to be successful.