The Top 25 Thread

Spring practice is over across the country, and now starts the Silly Season, or the No News Season, as rabid fans across the country clamor for any morsel of information they can find about their teams. Since the only news coming out from now until August comes from Police reports, sports writers across the country turn their quills to penning Top 25 lists - most of them barely worth the electrons they inconvenienced to create them.

But, it's something to talk about. For your amusement, we'll gather the top 25s from across the landscape of college football and post them here so we can alternately pound our chest or gnash our teeth at the respect/lack of respect the Huskers receive.

Starting off:

The Sporting News Post-Spring Top 25

With a handful of spring games to be played, we’ve figured out our post-spring top 25.

While this season looks as wide open as any in recent memory, we’ll stick with LSU and Oklahoma at the top two spots and playing in the BCS National Championship Game. That would mean a rematch of the controversial 2003 BCS championship game in New Orleans, when LSU won the BCS title but the Associated Press (and Sporting News) awarded its national title to USC.

1. LSU.

2. Oklahoma:

3. Alabama.

4. Stanford.

5. Oregon:

6. Boise State:

7. Florida State:

8. Ohio State.

9. Oklahoma State.

10. Nebraska:

Note - teams with a colon behind their names have comments. Click the headline to read what they had to say.

2011 Post Spring (ish) College Football Top 25

AllAboutSports

I like to put out top 25 College Football each year following the Spring Practices. Well there are still a couple of spring games to go, but I'm ready to put out my 2011 Post Spring College Football rankings. Hey I know pre-season rankings don't mean a thing, but they do make for some fun conversation.

1) Oklahoma Sooners

2) Alabama Crimson Tide

3) Boise St. Broncos

4) Oregon Ducks

5) Stanford Cardinals

6) LSU Tigers

7) Oklahoma St. Cowboys

8) Wisconsin Badgers

9) Florida State Seminoles

10) Arkansas Razorbacks

21) Nebraska Cornhuskers

He has comments about every team. The picture accompanying the article is of several Huskers making a tackle in the CCG.

ESPN Early Top 25

All week on College Football Live, we’ve been unveiling our Preseason Top 25. A 38-person panel consisting of our analysts, studio hosts, play-by-play announcers, bloggers, researchers and production team members submitted their votes and here’s our in-depth Top 5.

1. Oklahoma

2. Alabama

3. Oregon

4. LSU

5. Boise State

6. Florida State

7. Stanford

8. South Carolina

9. Oklahoma State

10. Ohio State

13. Nebraska

Detailed comments for the top five.

Post-Spring Top 25

Four Big Ten teams in the top 15...and the only four in the top 25 as well. Two in the Leaders and two in the Legends.

Michigan State #10

Wisconsin #12

Nebraska #13

Ohio State #15

13. Nebraska Cornhuskers (Previous ranking: 24)

The Cornhuskers fizzled down the stretch in their last season in the Big 12, losing three of their last four games, including an ugly 19-7 loss to Washington in the Bridgeport Education Holiday Bowl. Coach Bo Pelini made adjustments to jump-start his team heading into their first season in the Big Ten. Running backs coach Tim Beck was promoted to offensive coordinator, and he'll try to get the Cornhuskers to play at a faster pace. Keeping quarterback Taylor Martinez healthy and restoring his confidence will be paramount. Replacing cornerback Prince Amukamara and safety Eric Hagg are big concerns on defense. Nebraska's first Big Ten slate includes home games against Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa and road contests at Wisconsin and Penn State.

I was thinking we were going to be ranked between 10-20. Too many questions on the offensive side of the ball to be considered top 10 material as of right now. Some of the writers that have us in the top 10 have been drinking out of blasted_imposter's kool-aid glass. September needs to hurry up!

Big concerns on Defense. HA!! the only big concerns i have are whether we are going to average giving up 12PPG or 13PPG!!

Im actually concerned about our secondary, not so much with Dennard, Osborne, Cassidy. But more with who is gonna replace Prince, Hagg, Gomes. I know we may see more 4-3 this year, but at sametime we need solid dime/nickel/peso packages with those spread teams we are gonna face.

I'm just going to throw this out: A big LOL at having LSU #1. The "Hat" barely won a lot of games last year, and I don't think he'll be as lucky without Peterson in his secondary. I like the Oklahoma pick at number one though, if they don't have any injuries, they'll be a team to reckon with for sure.

Dennis Dodd of CBSSportsline weighs in with his post-Spring top 25. He saw enough greatness out of our Spring Game to bump us up to the top ten:

10. Nebraska: 2011 If quarterback Taylor Martinez stays consistent and upright, the Huskers could win their first conference title in 12 years and their first in the Big Ten. 2011 MVP: Lavonte David (school-record 152 tackles). Previous rank: 14

Worth the paper it's printed on.

Not surprisingly, Oklahoma is his #1 choice, followed by 'Bama, LSU, Oregon and Stanford. Even though Ohio State has about 1/3 of their season wiped out by suspensions for the Tat Five and The Vest, he has them ranked #9, one spot ahead of the 'Skers.

LINK