Osborne: Big Ten Icon

Nexus

The Big Ten Network is coming to Lincoln on May 11-13 to do interviews for a Big Ten Icon segment on Nebraska’s Tom Osborne.

The network is featuring 20 coaching icons this fall. Last year, BTN did the league’s Top 50 athletes.

Osborne and about 20 Lincoln-area people are scheduled to be interviewed for the show.

LINK

The Big Ten Network is coming to Lincoln on May 11-13 to do interviews for a Big Ten Icon segment on Nebraska’s Tom Osborne.

The network is featuring 20 coaching icons this fall. Last year, BTN did the league’s Top 50 athletes.

Osborne and about 20 Lincoln-area people are scheduled to be interviewed for the show.

LINK

I'll have to set the recorder for that one.

Hmm. Big 10's already givin us more respect than the Big 12 ever has, and we're not even officially part of it yet.

That's because the Big 12 was never a good fit just out of convenience. I would bet that if the Big 10 was expanding as the Big 8 was folding we would've never set foot in the Big 12.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember hearing the guys on Unsportsmanlike Conduct talking about this either earlier this week or last week. They thought it was a little weird that the Big 10 was doing a Big Ten coaching icons show including Tom Osborne, since he was never a Big 10 coach. But they still think it's a great idea to be included in some regard.

I'll be tuning in for sure.

I remember hearing the guys on Unsportsmanlike Conduct talking about this either earlier this week or last week. They thought it was a little weird that the Big 10 was doing a Big Ten coaching icons show including Tom Osborne, since he was never a Big 10 coach. But they still think it's a great idea to be included in some regard.

A little weird? It's literally nonsense.

A little weird? It's literally nonsense.

Far from it, IMO. The Big 10 selected Nebraska because, amongst our weaponry, are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to Dr. Tom, the Bobfather, and our significant legacy all built in a post-AP poll college football era.

The Big 10 is embracing all of Nebraska, including its traditions and its leaders/legends. To include Dr. Tom as a Big 10 legend isn't odd--it's the Big 10 giving us a collective bear hug as they welcome us into their family. The only reason I could fathom that it's odd to some folks is because we're used to our (soon-to-be) old conference treating us like feces and taking us for granted.

---

Oh, and I wouldn't be shocked to see that this trip becomes more than just one icon show--remember the Bobfather has some ties to Big 10 lore, including former coaching jobs at Michigan (IIRC), an upstart Nebraska beating #1 Michigan in Ann Arbor, and his coaching of the great Barry Alvarez who brought a moribund Wisconsin program out of the forest and into the limelight.

And if you want to hear about the Bobfather, Barry and Dr. Tom would be at or towards the top of the list to get information from, right?