Prince Drafted Low due to Nigerian Bias??!

Wouldn't surprise me. The article says the coaches weren't listening to their scouts. You could write a thick book on the number of times that's happened in the past decade alone. "Nigerian bias" would be about #273 on the list of reasons why owners and coaches make the decisions they make.

Bottom line, to me, is that many NFL decision-makers don't truly know talent. They get distracted by hype and The Big Board and make stupid decisions. Blaine Gabbert at #10 is another bad decision, as is Christian Ponder at #12. There are about a million "biases" in the NFL.

That's why, when you get a franchise that really knows what it's doing, they tend to be successful for long periods, not here and there. The Patsies, the Steelers, the Packers, etc. Contrast them with the Browns, the Lions, the SeaChickens. Some folks get it, some don't. Some who don't own teams.

I'll go with Bill Parcell's evaluation on Ponder. One of two he thought were the best ready coming out of college. As a Viking fan I hope hes right.

If he'd have been drafted that high by the Bears, Lions or Packers I'm betting your opinion would be different.

Wouldn't surprise me. The article says the coaches weren't listening to their scouts. You could write a thick book on the number of times that's happened in the past decade alone. "Nigerian bias" would be about #273 on the list of reasons why owners and coaches make the decisions they make.

Bottom line, to me, is that many NFL decision-makers don't truly know talent. They get distracted by hype and The Big Board and make stupid decisions. Blaine Gabbert at #10 is another bad decision, as is Christian Ponder at #12. There are about a million "biases" in the NFL.

That's why, when you get a franchise that really knows what it's doing, they tend to be successful for long periods, not here and there. The Patsies, the Steelers, the Packers, etc. Contrast them with the Browns, the Lions, the SeaChickens. Some folks get it, some don't. Some who don't own teams.

I'll go with Bill Parcell's evaluation on Ponder. One of two he thought were the best ready coming out of college. As a Viking fan I hope hes right.

If he'd have been drafted that high by the Bears, Lions or Packers I'm betting your opinion would be different.

Ponder is made of glass.

You are right, I didn't think that was a good pick at the time, but I didn't follow him much in college. Once he was drafted I looked up some of his stats. Not bad, but he was hurt a few times and missed some games. If he stays healthy in Minn, he might just have a good chance at being the man for the Vike's. He has the size and skills and some of the other sites I have read, like him. So I guess time will tell.

GBR!!!

Some feedback on Ponder:

Sports Illustrated

What I didn't like: Christian Ponder. The Vikings clearly need a "quarterback of the future" after the tragically failed Brett Favre experiment of the past two years. Just not sure Ponder is the answer. Look at the list of NCAA leaders in any major passing category last year. Call me when you reach Ponder. When the phone doesn't ring, I'll know it's you.

Walter Football

12. Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

A reach that would make Inspector Gadget proud. I can't believe this draft class is so bad that it forces Christian Ponder up to No. 12. I know the Vikings need a quarterback, but, wow.

I'm not saying Ponder is going to bust, by the way. He could be OK. But to take a second-round prospect at No. 12 is pretty crazy. (Pick Grade: D)

Mel Kiper

Summary: The Vikings clearly need an answer at the quarterback position, but they reached for Ponder at No. 12. They clearly believe he's their guy long-term, but the draft is about value too. When you saw Dalton land all the way down at No. 35, you had to wonder if Ponder could have been had later.

EDIT - as a Bears fan, I am ecstatic with the Ponder pick. chicago_bears.jpg

Don't care if it is true or not. I thought hearing the Giants fan's chanting "We want Prince!" before the comerical was pretty awesome. I'm alos guessing that made Prince feel pretty good about the team, the pick may not have been as high as he would have liked but I think it is a great fit and a place where he can have huge success.

this Nigerian bias is dumb, idk why they are rumored to be soft, if i remeber right there was a running back for the chiefs whos nickname was the nigerian nightmare. i think his name was christian okoye, but i dont remeber seeing him play but he must have ran hard with a nickname like that!

Soft? Yeah, good one... check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OO-w04DUv4&feature=player_embedded#at=86

this Nigerian bias is dumb, idk why they are rumored to be soft, if i remeber right there was a running back for the chiefs whos nickname was the nigerian nightmare. i think his name was christian okoye, but i dont remeber seeing him play but he must have ran hard with a nickname like that!

Or maybe he was terrible! ...A "nightmare," if you will.

Nah, that would be just plain mean.

EDIT: Nevermind... just saw the video above.