Osborne in Tressel's shoes

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Herbstreit brought this up a while ago and it got me thinking, if we took everything that was happening to OSU right now and bring it back to the early 90's when TO was coach, would we, as fans, support Osborne or call for him to leave the program?

I'm interested to see what everyone's choice would be and opinion on the matter.

That as it may be true. This is saying that Osborne did exactly what Tressel did, would you call for him to leave the program or remain with the program. What the purpose is, who are your loyalties to. The school or the coach?

Of all the coaches Herbstreit had to bring up he had to choose a coach who's been retired for 13 seasons. Why didn't he pick a current coach like Stoops, Urban Meyer (I know he's only been retired for a few months), Mack Brown, Joe Patterno, Frank Beamer, etc.

As for the OP topic I'd be upset at Osborne back in the day if he allowed the players to sell their own equipment for tattoos and accepting cars like the University of Ohio State is being accused of right now and not informing the NCAA of the rules Nebraska broke. I would hate to lose a coach like Osborne but for the sake of the Universities identity I think it would be in the best interest for the University to fire Osborne if in deed those accusations were true.

I seem to remember a weapon being hid by Coach Osborne a while back. Saying that Tom would not do something is an unknown, no one knows what he would have done. To me it is a stupid rule that my guess is most have had happen at sometime or another. The press is making far more of this than needs be. He made a mistake, did not commit a felony and yet he is being drug down to that level it seems. I think he is good man, that tried to protect his kids, just as our coach would do.

I do not know all the details, and I do not know why he made the choice he did, but all of these coaches make decisions that are in the best interest of the kids or think they are at the time. I do not believe he was thinking of winning or losing at the time. But I do not feel that he is that much different than many coaches out there, Coach Osborne included.

• Fire 1

I seem to remember a weapon being hid by Coach Osborne a while back. Saying that Tom would not do something is an unknown, no one knows what he would have done. To me it is a stupid rule that my guess is most have had happen at sometime or another. The press is making far more of this than needs be. He made a mistake, did not commit a felony and yet he is being drug down to that level it seems. I think he is good man, that tried to protect his kids, just as our coach would do.

I do not know all the details, and I do not know why he made the choice he did, but all of these coaches make decisions that are in the best interest of the kids or think they are at the time. I do not believe he was thinking of winning or losing at the time. But I do not feel that he is that much different than many coaches out there, Coach Osborne included.

How dare you talk about Tom in that manner!!! Nah, I am just messing with you...I agree completely and good post skers.

And Dez Bryant got what for lying about a dinner he had with Deon Sanders. Tressel did a lot more and maybe Dr.Tom did too. Does he get fire..I believe he has too, (Tressel), in the times we live in now. Johnny Rodgers robbed a gas station, Cam Newton stole a finals paper from his roommate and a laptop. Times have changed, the change comes from "How much do we tolerate" Your right, if we had a Wayback Machice we could go back and fix it. "Please Coach Devany, I don't want to be a petty thief anymore" College football is big business now and rules are rules, otherwise we have the nuts running the asylum.

My feelings are that no matter who the coach is, he is not above the image of the university that is projected on the public. So my answer is yes. But thank god that Tom is not the kind of person who puts disrespectful players before the university's integrity.

I have faith that Tom was squeaky clean when he coached Nebraska, NCAA has looked into the program for years and turned up nothing.

If you don't think Tom Osborne would do anything that he thought was necessary to save and protect his players, I personally think you're mistaken. Even if that involves lying to/disobeying the NCAA or the law, if he felt his players needed it to not fall through the cracks I think he would have done it.

It is their responsiblity to protect the players at all costs, they give that commitment to their parents and family.

Tom was not squeaky clean, the pistol deal as far as I am concerned is far worse than what Tressel did. But again he was thinking about the kid and not his best interest or the schools, just as he should do.

We have kids running around with tatoos on the team, gold bling in their ears and around their necks, where does that come from, who pays for that on a scholarship ride. Vehicles are driven that are loanded by some one, some, as most on scholarship could not afford them. Again we have things that are going on, just like the rest of the country, we are no different is my guess. All pretty much live in a glass house, we need to remember that.