Gill declines future games vs. Huskers

KU's administration had discussed with him the prospect of the Jayhawks continuing their series with Nebraska, which is moving to the Big Ten. Gill agreed that would be fun for the fans.

But Kansas' round-robin, nine-game Big 12 Conference schedule is daunting enough without adding a team that won the past two Big 12 North Division titles.

“It best benefits us not to play Nebraska from a football standpoint,” he said. “I have to look at what's best for our football team right now.”

Sam McKewon will have a full story about Gill in Sunday's paper.

LINK

of course he turned it down. KU struggles now, they are adding an extra conference game, they no longer get to aviod playing OU and TX in the same year every two years. Why would they want to schedule a loss to play Nebraska. Gill needs every win he can get over the next two to three years if he wants to keep his job

that really goes for anyone in the Big 12 I think. I actually think losing Nebraska and Colorado makes it tougher to win the conference. You can't be the best team in a bad division and sneak up and beat the south champ like K-State was able to do. In a typical year now you'll have OU, Texas, A&M, OSU and Mizzou all being good teams that will beat each other up.

I actually think losing Nebraska and Colorado makes it tougher to win the conference for the North. You can't be the best team in a bad division and sneak up and beat the south champ like K-State was able to do. In a typical year now you'll have OU, Texas, A&M, OSU and Mizzou all being good teams that will beat each other up.

Fixed it for ya

that really goes for anyone in the Big 12 I think. I actually think losing Nebraska and Colorado makes it tougher to win the conference. You can't be the best team in a bad division and sneak up and beat the south champ like K-State was able to do. In a typical year now you'll have OU, Texas, A&M, OSU and Mizzou all being good teams that will beat each other up.

...or you'll just have OU/Texas beating everyone else up (ie: Michigan/Ohio State) and those two will be perennial BSC contenders, w/ the winner having a huge leg up on the NC game a-la Ohio State of the 2000's. Moving the final conference game to the first week in December should help w/ the lack of a championship game when it comes to rankings.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Big12 is set up very nicely for Oklahoma/Texas to make some consistent runs at the NC now. Rarely will either have more than 1 loss going forward.

Essentially the Big 12 is now the AL east with Texas/OU playing the parts of the Sox/Yanks. All the other teams (A&M, Okie Light, Mizzou, etc) are Baltimore, Toronto, Tampa.... Occasionally you'll get a good showing from one of the "lesser" powers, but mainly it'll be the top two dogs beating hell outta everyone else...

I actually think losing Nebraska and Colorado makes it tougher to win the conference for the North anyone other than Oklahoma.

Fixed it for ya

FIFY. 6 of last 8, favorite again this year. they have been and will be the team to beat regardless of regional location

• Fire 2

You make a good point. There's a chance for any team not named Oklahoma or Texas to win the Big 12 title, but the chances of it happening just got significantly more difficult. I would honestly be very surprised if Missouri or Okie State won it any time soon. And schools like K-State and Kansas may as well kiss their chances goodbye as well.

I agree with Turner its not in KUs best interset, what does KU have to gain by playing Nebraska, absolutely nothing. You could say the samething for Nebraska.

I was sad to see this series end and it was fun while it lasted.

Right now Kansas needs to focus on winning their non-conf games and hope to win enough conference games to get bowl eligible.

The series streak is already as good as broken, and that's pretty sad if you ask me. So it really wouldn't mean much to get it going again, although it would be nice to get that free W almost every year.

I hope Gill does great things for that program. I'll be rooting for them as long as he's there.

The series streak is already as good as broken, and that's pretty sad if you ask me. So it really wouldn't mean much to get it going again, although it would be nice to get that free W almost every year.

I hope Gill does great things for that program. I'll be rooting for them as long as he's there.

Me too. He's got a rough row to hoe though......

:yeah

GBR!!!

maybe it was a poor choice of words on his part, but I could see Kansas giving Nebraska a challenge later on when Turner turns the program around. His words kind of make it sounds like Kansas wont ever be good enough to challenege Nebraska, which im sure was not his intention to say.