I am the one who gave Aaron Green the hat!

I have lived in SA for almost twenty years. I have been proselytizing Texans and converting them to Huskers for years with just my game watching enthusiasm alone. The only three Husker Games I have been to were here in San Anto. Being dirty-five I coveted the feeling of family each Saturday growing up watching the games. Husker Games were something in my Plattsmouth neighborhood everybody talked about and came together on. Being from a dysfunctional family, adopted, kicked out of Boystown, etc watching Husker games were some of the only times I felt safe. So living in San Antonio for so long watching the progression of bandwagon fans from Aggies to Longhorns to Aggies, and the Dark years of Obama...I mean Callaghan, I was happy that a player talked about all over the local news here might be going to the N. So, I was working a 2 month job at Randolph AFB here always passing this big church in which its name was Maranatha. They had a men's retreat that was coming up that looked interesting so I was trying to figure out what denomination or even what they did as I am a believer too. Did a little research, website was down, checked back and found out a little, even considered taking the family there(BTW didn't go to the Men's retreat I talked myself out of it). Well that didn't happen, and a few months after the job ended I heard he was going to announce from his church and it might be Nebraska, then I heard in was Maranatha. So, I thought about going that day but had to work late got out, dirty no time for a shower. Side note, as a believer I just thought it was awesome that out of all the places kids now days do this, this young guy was doing it from his church. I just thought that was an epic winning trait of character and for that I wanted him at Nebraska alone. I am not heavily invested in the recruiting angle, don't go to high school games, didn't even go to the Army All American Game to see him, didn't even like the half hour they gave for high school football down here on the local news, haven't even seen his highlights. Getting back to the story...so I am dirty, smelly, started questioning if I should even go. I then asked God if there was any reason for me to go. God tells me to go pray for him, that he becomes a leader and that people will honor his words when he speaks, and speak against anything that may hinder that in his new voyage away from home. Mind you I was dealing with my own stuff, I was an deacon at a Church where a so called "prophet" came in and tried to sleep with the pastor's wife, and it was pretty ugly. So I guess I was taking a break from formal "Church" to try to put the puzzle back together. So before I left I grabbed a Husker hat I got from a friend who found it when he was make-reading a apartment from people who moved out at a complex here in town. Actually it was a trunk with all Husker stuff, Macaroni, Jacket, 4 hats, Husker barbie, license plates, baseball jersey, etc. I had never owned so much Husker stuff at one time before that. All of the hats were vintage 90's. One said National Champions on the front with all the years of Nebraska's championship years. I never wore any of these hats but one cause they all still had tags on them. On special occasions I would wear that Championship hat, not much though. So when I grabbed it to take with me because it was the cleanest newest looking one, it had lots of dust on it from the shelf. So dumb me in a hurry tried to dust it off. Big mistake the dust kinda smeared over the white and made it look a little dirty. I kicked my self in the ass for doing that. I thought I can't give this to him, how embarrassing. Well I was prompted by the man upstairs that it wasn't about the hat I was to pray for him. He also told me if it was a gift from the heart it shouldn't matter what it looks like, and I as a believer shouldn't worry about what others think. So I agreed and left to the church, about 20 minutes from my house. While driving I got worried I was too late and that he might be gone. When I got there everyone was already walking out(Lots of people). I was asking random people if Aaron had left, one of which I guess was his friend, who called him or someone to ask if he had left, which he had. I asked the guy if he could give the hat to him, he says his pastor is still here give it to him, I said no that's alright and started walking out. Then out the door the Lord tells me to go give it to the Pastor with a message for Aaron. I reasoned with the Lord that he probably left, I am dirty, he'll think I was a bum stalker, this is embarrassing, etc. Well I lost that battle. God doesn't speak to me much, but when he does he knows I am very obedient, Abraham like obedience. So dirty cloths and body, and hat. I went looking for the Pastor. Mind you this was a huge Church, so even though it was a Wednesday and with the announcement there was probably 300+ people I was wading through. So I start asking various people where the pastor is told me he was upstairs so I start wandering up there, go to the restroom to try not to look too homely, while God is shaking his head at me. I go into a room ask for the pastor. Explain I was from Nebraska live in SA, am a believer and God sent me over to Pray for Aaron. I asked the pastor if we could pray for him even though he was gone. We did and I got to pray for all the things directed to do. After the pastor and elders were asking me where I was attending, I gave them a short version and that I was praying where the Lord will send me. They told me their times and invited me and my family to go there the following Sunday. So leaving I asked the Pastor if he could give this hat to Aaron, he said yes. Then dropped straight into my spirit these words, "Tell Aaron when he wins the National Championship he can get that year sewn onto it". I shook hands and reiterated to the Pastor what to tell Aaron when he gave that hat to him, because I knew it was from the man upstairs. Walking to the car I just was telling God how crazy all this was and why did he make me look like a fool. But it helped me get confidence from what was going on with me from my old Church, and my feelings and all. God told me he could use anyone he wanted to do his will, no matter where they are at in their standing with him. Kinda felt humiliated for questioning God and all, for the whole embarrassing thing. Mind you I also am a singer and a metal-head so God was kinda surprised that I was apprehensive. Driving home while jamming out I asked God why it went down the way it did, why I missed Aaron, what was the meaning of what I told the pastor, etc. He then explained in Romans 4:17 (New International Version)17 As it is written: “... and calls into being things that were not as though they were". That we were planting life into his spirit when praying and that the word was a prophetic seed planted concerning the hat. If you wanna be rich prophetize you are rich for it come to pass, want to get a better job...say you are going to get a better job, want a wife, SPEAK HER INTO EXISTENCE!! James 4:2 (New Living Translation)2 "You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it". Just like God did in Genesis.."Let there be light"....etc. He also showed me for victory “Write down the vision and make it plain on tablets so that whoever reads it may run with it.” [Habakkuk 2:2-3]. So in laments terms write the goal down on paper and speak it as though it were. Kinda sounds like all that new age positive...negative blah blah blah. Only they conveniently leave out Jesus and sin. So I am not the rapture end of the world kook, but if Aaron and anyone else comes into agreement with that word and agree, I will guarantee a National Championship in Aaron Green's time at Nebraska. I AM NOT SAYING AARON WILL BE THE CATALYST, OR THE STAR, BE MVP. I am saying I know the rules of the game, and this collection of books has ancient truths in it that when one who is right with God(or not)and puts them into practice righteously, God shows up ALL THE TIME! I should know because God scared me when I called him out and he showed up. To this day there isn't anything that drowns out that truth, alcohol, drugs, money, fame, etc. Anyways, if God used this human being who was conceived out of adultery, to spread truth and bring him glory. Then all the unbelievers on this board can glorify God with this memory of this thread planted in their mind when Nebraska wins the National Championship and they call upon his name. Now being I am 50 percent Thomas and 45 percent Timothy and 5 percent Paul(fervent skeptic with little grace), if the NCAA wants to make a stink about a hat, this is the truth and I will happily take a lie detector test. It will all be for naught anyways cause the man upstairs is undefeated, kinda like we will be when we win the hardware with Mr. Green on the team. So if the NCAA or any other whack job wants to raise Cain about a brother in Christ wanting to pray for Aaron and give a old 90's dirty hat, I hope they got a good publicist! GO BIG RED!!!!!!! :throwdabones1:

P.S. Yes I did get goosebumps when reading the said article at lunch when realizing the Pastor gave Aaron the message. Considering I haven't even thought about it since then.

P.S.S. My wife didn't put the hats in this picture, she forgot they were sitting on the entertainment center.

post-6620-059214300 1306292765.jpg

• Fire 2

I applaud your motivation. I believe it is pure. But I think most posters here are a bit leery of a fan giving a player *anything*--even something as insignificant as a 15 year old ball cap. Remember Eric Crouch’s minor scandal over the ham sandwich a few years back?

What if i invited a player to my house to watch a game or something? Would that be improper?

I think there is a fine line between what is acceptable for a fan to give a player whether or not they are even playing for the team yet. Sadly this fine line is quite blurry and until the NCAA steps in and makes it clearer, it will continue to be a fine blurry line that people will have a debate about what is right and wrong to give an athlete.

Paraphrased....

I am a huge husker fan in San Antonio. A friend of mine was cleaning out an apartment and the old tenants left a trunk of husker stuff; in there was a hat and a bunch of other stuff (see pic). Later, I noticed that Aaron Green was going to announce his school at a church that was down the road from me; I thought this was pretty cool. So the day of the announcement I decided I wasnt going to go, but god told me too so I did. I grabbed the old hat and headed out. I got there a bit late and Aaron had already left. I asked a guy at the church to give Aaron the hat; he said to give it to the preacher. I gave it to the preacher and I prayed for Aaron with him. I left and didnt think anything about it untill I read the article.

Then End.

• Fire 1

Good job, Alamo City Husker. That was a difficult stream-of-consciousness read, but worth it. I believe your motives were genuine and you did fine. Don't worry about that hat - if the NCAA glossed over the Cam Newton recruiting fiasco they shouldn't bat an eyelash over this.

+1 to you and +1 to Forge for the recap.

What if i invited a player to my house to watch a game or something? Would that be improper?

I think there is a fine line between what is acceptable for a fan to give a player whether or not they are even playing for the team yet. Sadly this fine line is quite blurry and until the NCAA steps in and makes it clearer, it will continue to be a fine blurry line that people will have a debate about what is right and wrong to give an athlete.

God apparently thinks the NCAA rule book is a bunch of poo poo.

My guess is by now this thread has already been reported to the UNL compliance department. There are many fans of other teams that troll other boards looking for stuff like this to report since its against the rules for a recruit to receive "special benefits or treatment because of the association of a team". Its probably a grey area and if anything would come of it most likely Green would have to pay the cost of the hat to charity. This type of violation happens a lot and doesn't make a bunch of headlines as they are very secondary in nature.

But please as fans go to the unl website about compliance or email the compliance department before you act on "God's wishes" as they can jeopardize a players status. Even contact through social media with recruits is becoming pretty scrutinized. I know as fans we all want "special access" to players and the teams we love but honestly it often goes too far by accident. We almost lost someone last year because of improper contact (I won't say who or what was done) but there was a release issued very shortly after it happened reminding all boosters, fan sites, etc that they need to pretty much learn the rules so they don't screw things up or put the University in a bad position.

• Fire 1