Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

Is it good for Nebraska at face value? Sure. The biggest powerhouse in the conference just lost an amazing head coach, making them (theoretically) easier to beat and easier for Nebraska to take the conference. However, I'd be lying if I said that I were jumping for joy...

Weakening a successful team in the conference is going to add to the scrutiny of the Big Ten being a legit power conference. In the day and age of the BCS, that's huge.

More importantly, Tressel is a phenomenal coach. As a college football fan, I'm going to be disappointed if Ohio State starts fielding mediocre teams. One of the things I have been looking forward to are the epic match ups in the Big Ten. It makes me sad when I think of the great coaches that are hosting TV or radio shows instead of being on the sidelines.

• Fire 1

This sucks badly. Now if we beat OSU, they will have all types of excuses as to why we did. And if they beat us, oh boy we will never hear the end of it from them.

Do you really think Buckeye fans are that shallow and pathetic?

We don't have enough history against Nebraska to care that much. If we lose, we lose. If we win, we win. We aren't going to rub it in your faces unless you try to pull the same sh#t Miami and Arkansas did talking for a full month how you are going to utterly destroy Ohio State. Be the team you've made us come to expect from you, and we will say good game if you beat us. If we beat you, again good game is all you're going to receive.

So it's up to you the type of experience you want to receive from Buckeye fans.

(Note, this doesn't count drunk college students.)

• Fire 2

I don't see how weakening the conference is good for us. If our goal is to win a conference and a lot of games, we should've joined the Sun Belt conference. When the Big 8 was at its weakest, I felt we were unprepared to play top teams in the bowl games.

The only good this does for us is where we go head-to-head in recruiting with OSU.

There's always the chance that Bo will take the head coach job but I don't know how likely that is.

I don't think Bo will bolt for OSU because i think the only reason he would leave is he felt he has done all he could do here and he hasn't.

Yes, there may very well be truth to this. Let me add that Bo just hired Beck as OC, and he is going somewhat to a different direction offensively. It's very possible Bo wants to see this through, and it's likely going to take more than one season to fully develop this new offense. Plus T.O. has plenty of time to reaffirm Bo's commitment to NU. Bo doesn't have to make a fast decision ... he has plenty of time to think this through ... that of course if OSU would offer.

The most likely situation where Bo would have left for OSU would have been if Tressel resigned at the end of last season, and Bo was offered the job with little time to think about it. And before Watson was fired, Beck hired, and before the offense was changed.

When are people going to realize that these lists of "candidates" for these jobs are not factual, they're dreamed up by the guy writing the article. These lists are fabricated with the sole intent of keeping your eyeballs glued to their website/TV show, nothing more.

The administration at Ohio State isn't emailing ESPN or CBS or Yahoo or Sports Illustrated with a list of candidates. No "insider" in these programs is leaking this info to these guys. The only reason there's a list of names is so you will watch/read/listen. That's it.

Sometimes they are. We've only got to look to the Callahan fiasco and bringing Pelini in here. It was rumored before Callahan was even out the door just shortly after the OSU game that fans walked out of... once the firing was all but a matter of time.

Now do the Athletic Departments have control over how that information gets out, usually I'd say yeah... It's a back channel to calm or excite fans through word of mouth and make them feel well connected to the program. It's naive to think that the athletic department wouldn't use that as a PR tool, especially in times of turmoil when they want to avoid national press. It just sure as hell wouldn't be leaked to a national writer or TV talking head. Instead you'll find the information on message-boards.

It should be noted, as there are still people who have yet to realize this (including me up until about 20 min ago):

Luke Fickell will be the coach for the 2011 season.

The new hiring (assuming Fickell doesn't surprise everyone) will start after the season.

This sucks badly. Now if we beat OSU, they will have all types of excuses as to why we did. And if they beat us, oh boy we will never hear the end of it from them.

Do you really think Buckeye fans are that shallow and pathetic?

We don't have enough history against Nebraska to care that much. If we lose, we lose. If we win, we win. We aren't going to rub it in your faces unless you try to pull the same sh#t Miami and Arkansas did talking for a full month how you are going to utterly destroy Ohio State. Be the team you've made us come to expect from you, and we will say good game if you beat us. If we beat you, again good game is all you're going to receive.

So it's up to you the type of experience you want to receive from Buckeye fans.

(Note, this doesn't count drunk college students.)

Give us some time to adjust to the new conference, bro. We're used to having just about everybody hate us and pull crap like this (Colorado, K-St, Mizzou, etc). I think most Husker fans will have respectful feelings for Ohio State instead of a rivalry based on dislike.

Let the speculation stop.

Bo is going nowhere.

A warming thought, but the speculation isn't there for no reason. Especially after all the liberties Tressel took, You'd think any AD would want someone who's worked for a guy like Tom Osborne. Not to mention all the other factors...

How much will the pending violations hurt OSU in their coaching search? I could easily see some of the high profile guys they might want turn down the job because of it.

I think you have to wait till the sanctions before you can determine that. Keep in mind it wasn't lack of institutional control, so for all we know, we may just have to forfeit the 2010 regular season and that's it.

Also remember Ohio State is a destination school for coaches.

Let the speculation stop.

Bo is going nowhere.

A warming thought, but the speculation isn't there for no reason. Especially after all the liberties Tressel took, You'd think any AD would want someone who's worked for a guy like Tom Osborne. Not to mention all the other factors...

Any time an Ohio State opening comes up, anyone who played for OSU that has coaching experience has their name come up.

How much will the pending violations hurt OSU in their coaching search? I could easily see some of the high profile guys they might want turn down the job because of it.

I think you have to wait till the sanctions before you can determine that. Keep in mind it wasn't lack of institutional control, so for all we know, we may just have to forfeit the 2010 regular season and that's it.

Also remember Ohio State is a destination school for coaches.

Remember, USC went out and got Kiffin in the midst of all their turmoil.

It all depends on how they get punished. If the penalties arent too harsh then its bad news for us because bo would probably take the job. Lets face it, Ohio State is a lot better job than Nebraska (unless youre a homer..which there are quite a few o them on this board). Also, Bo being from Ohio makes it worse. Lets hope they arent interested in him or the NCAA comes down on them hard!

From Adam Rittenberg on ESPN Big10 Blog:

Urban Meyer issues statement

May, 30, 2011 May 304:41PM ETEmail Print Comments6 By Adam Rittenberg

[...]

Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who played safety at Ohio State, grew up in Youngstown and is being mentioned as another potential candidate to replace Tressel, also issued a statement Monday.

It reads: "Jim Tressel is an outstanding football coach and a good man. I've followed and respected his career since his days at Youngstown State, and through his tremendous success at Ohio State the past decade. He will be missed in college football."

Bo Pelini then made a phone motion to his head and mouthed the words, "Ohio State, call me!"

Sure, it wasn't in the the statement but I can picture that happening.