Tressels Resignation - Good for Nebraska?

Eff this cheat. Give them the death penalty

This guy is a flat out cheat. Give them the death penalty for LOIC.

http://genuinelysarc...otting-lie.html

1986: Youngstown State, trying to boost morale to the economically devastated region of northeast Ohio, hires Ohio State offensive assistant Jim Tressel as head coach.

November 17, 1987: Ohio State fires head coach Earle Bruce after three straight losses. Four days later, Bruce's final game as head coach is a win in Ann Arbor over Michigan.

December 31, 1987: Arizona State head coach John Cooper is hired by Ohio State to replace Bruce. Conventional wisdom says Cooper became the most appealing candidate to Ohio State because of his victory over Michigan in the Rose Bowl 364 days earlier.

EDIT - please read THIS THREAD regarding posting articles. knapplc

After reading http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1919246 I'm really starting to wonder.

A lot of people seem to think that this whole mess is due to Pryor & to a lessor extent, the other 4 tat boys. Roll the clock back 9 years and think about what Clarett claimed in 2002, and then look at what just went down at OSU. It's really starting to look like this was the norm, rather than things just getting out of hand for a few stars.

Tressel was very, very highly thought of at OSU-and everywhere else for that matter. Few coaches are viewed as squeaky clean as this holy roller was-and it's starting to look like it was one big phony front, and that he's nothing but a lying, cheating fraud.

That article just makes the NCAA look incompetent then, because they had already done an in depth investigation regarding Clarrett and found nothing. Ohio State did not self report this because it didn't happen. Remember, the emails came about because Ohio State self reported it after investigating things for the expansion.

Also this article was written in 2004. After a guy who thought he was bigger than the NCAA lost the battle to enter the NFL after one year in college.

Eff this cheat. Give them the death penalty

This guy is a flat out cheat. Give them the death penalty for LOIC.

Most of the arrests were acquitted.

Oh no college students drinking, better ban the football program.

The Youngstown QB already has gone on record stating that article was horribly innumerate.

You're really using a Michigan site as a source?

Since no one is going to post articles to the contrary, I'll do it for you to read.

There's a lawsuit about to be filed against SI due to libel. They named an additional 9 players in the article that supposedly sold memorabilia.

Per NCAA guidelines, James was provided as an attorney for the nine new players named. He said that in gathering background for their hearings he made them bring in their personal awards such as the gold pants charms earned for wins over Michigan, Big Ten championship rings and such. He then took pictures of the loot.

“For all nine, if there are 50 pieces at issue, we have 48 of them,” James said. “There might be a misplaced necklace or something, but they’re pretty much all there.”

http://blog.dispatch.com/buckeyesblog/2011/06/attorney_of_newly_accused_buck.shtml

Storm Klein's father started it:

"My son has no tattoos on his body," Jason Klein said. "I have all of his memorabilia. What has been written is preposterous. My son has been routinely tested for drugs and has never had a positive test."

Jason Klein said he will hire an attorney and plans to take action against Sports Illustraed, which published a story that cited an anonymous tattoo shop employee as identifying Storm as one of at least nine active players alleged to have made such trades.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6621030

Since no one is going to post articles to the contrary, I'll do it for you to read.

There's a lawsuit about to be filed against SI due to libel. They named an additional 9 players in the article that supposedly sold memorabilia.

Per NCAA guidelines, James was provided as an attorney for the nine new players named. He said that in gathering background for their hearings he made them bring in their personal awards such as the gold pants charms earned for wins over Michigan, Big Ten championship rings and such. He then took pictures of the loot.

“For all nine, if there are 50 pieces at issue, we have 48 of them,” James said. “There might be a misplaced necklace or something, but they’re pretty much all there.”

http://blog.dispatch.com/buckeyesblog/2011/06/attorney_of_newly_accused_buck.shtml

"My son has no tattoos on his body," Jason Klein said. "I have all of his memorabilia. What has been written is preposterous. My son has been routinely tested for drugs and has never had a positive test."

Jason Klein said he will hire an attorney and plans to take action against Sports Illustraed, which published a story that cited an anonymous tattoo shop employee as identifying Storm as one of at least nine active players alleged to have made such trades.

". . . they're pretty much all there."

Compelling evidence, that.

You're right. 9 athletes, 2 missing memorabilia. All 9 are guilty. The story is losing credibility every day.

I don't get the malice directed at the players for the whole "you can't sell your own property as a college athlete" rule. If the NCAA has a problem with players' property increasing in value due to them being popular, then they should stop making them superstars by showing them on national television every fall weekend... Or they could just allow these kids to make a few extra bucks by hawking the things that they don't care to retain. I know it's a more sensational topic because they sold memorabilia, but would the vitriol still exist if they players sold say... clothing, books, electronics or other personal property that had increased value because of it's prior owner?

Also, note that I'm not talking about cover-ups, automobile acquisitions or any other of the charges against OSU.

You can break pretty much any NCAA rule and get a slap on the wrist with the exceptions of:

A ) Getting paid cash money or being given cars or houses (U$C) - Not selling a couple of tickets/ giving away tickets (which is what NU last got into trouble last in the '90s) or memorabilia at "reasonable" (not $10,000 for a used jock strap) market prices. You will get some penalty - but oh well.

or

B ) Not being truthful to the almighty NCAA. Even worse LYING or COVERING UP said violations

You're right. 9 athletes, 2 missing memorabilia. All 9 are guilty. The story is losing credibility every day.

Your head is buried in the sand. Read that attorney's statement a little more carefully.

See those words? Those are what we call weasel words. Also note that he didn't say that there are only two missing pieces of memorabilia. He didn't say that at all. He gave a hypothetical number of memorabilia and then gave another hypothetical number of missing pieces. Now, ask yourself why the attorney would phrase it that way. If he had laid out the memorabilia and accounted for all but two missing pieces he would have said "there are only two missing pieces." Long story short, you're building your hopes on an extremely shaky foundation. A little critical reading would give you a better understanding of what is actually going on here.

OSU will be punished fairly severely. Having Tressel fall on the sword won't save them. I'm guessing something around the level of USC. It may be slightly less or slightly more but the sanctions will probably be in that ballpark.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the attorney only addressed memorabilia. What about the jerseys, helmets, shoulder pads, etc. that certain players claimed to have a limitless supply of?

They'll probably file suit because almost no lawyer is going to turn down money. They will also lose. The article was sourced with sources to corroborate the primary sources and timelines. Just because they don't like what they reported doesn't make it libel. Also they open it up to the courts, investigations, depositions involving players, coaches, administrators, the people in the tattoo shops. Then things start to carry real consequences for the players involved if they are lying.

Also what father isn't going to blindly trust the word of their own kid? OSU fans have bashed the drug dealers that the players were friends with, but they are easily as credible considering kids aren't going to go running to Daddy about hanging out with drug dealers and giving them memorabilia as trade. The difference is the drug dealers really don't have anything to gain from telling their story in this.

So while I totally understand the outraged fathers in the press and if it was a total fabrication they'd be right, but I sure as hell wouldn't take them being outraged and threatening sports illustrated with a lawsuit as any kind of factual evidence that the article in question was libelous.

I don't get the malice directed at the players for the whole "you can't sell your own property as a college athlete" rule. If the NCAA has a problem with players' property increasing in value due to them being popular, then they should stop making them superstars by showing them on national television every fall weekend... Or they could just allow these kids to make a few extra bucks by hawking the things that they don't care to retain. I know it's a more sensational topic because they sold memorabilia, but would the vitriol still exist if they players sold say... clothing, books, electronics or other personal property that had increased value because of it's prior owner?

Also, note that I'm not talking about cover-ups, automobile acquisitions or any other of the charges against OSU.

It can be used as a means to funnel money from boosters that's why. Also clothing, books, electronics, and other assorted personal property don't increase in value to sports collectors. You're not gonna see someone with Suh's old xbox in a glass case display in their home. Just like you won't see a pair of dress slacks he wore once framed at someones house. Collectables are about why someone is a star, their image, what they did that was notable and historic and how rare they are.