Props to Martinez

taylor_martinez.jpg

100 most influential players/coaches/administrators/venues in college football

CBSSports.com College Football 100: 40-31

32. TAYLOR MARTINEZ, quarterback, Nebraska. It takes a lot of self-confidence for a grown man to unironically adopt a nickname like "T-Magic," but fortunately for Nebraska fans, Taylor Martinez isn't lacking for that confidence--nor for freakish athleticism. The freshman quarterback conjured up memories of Eric Crouch and Tommie Frazier as he ran for 965 yards and 12 touchdowns while throwing for 1631 yards and 10 more TDs. That's even taking into consideration a right ankle injury that bothered Martinez throughout the second half of the season, keeping him out of two games and limiting him in others. A healthy, more experienced T-Magic for the entire 2011 campaign could be quite the weapon.

However, as both Martinez and Denard Robinson demonstrated just last year, football is not a sport that caters to the health of smaller quarterbacks with heavy rushing workloads. The defenses in the Big 12 are no picnic for opposing QBs, but they're even more physical in the Big Ten. Meanwhile, the once-rocky relationship between Martinez and head coach Bo Pelini seems to have healed to some extent. Certainly, there aren't any reports of Martinez missing practices, and he had the chance to transfer this off-season but didn't. Once that first player-coach fight happens, contentment is usually relative and impermanent, but it seems like much more of a 2010 problem than a 2011 problem, and that's bad news for the rest of the Big Ten. -- AJ

LINK

Props to T-Magic being listed on cbssports.com blog as #32 of the 100 most important people/things in college football this year.

He raises a good point in the last paragraph. Tempers might flare between those two again but given all of the opportunities Martinez to leave, and he hasn't, says a lot about their relationship now. It may not be perfect but it's workable.

• Fire 1

He raises a good point in the last paragraph. Tempers might flare between those two again but given all of the opportunities Martinez to leave, and he hasn't, says a lot about their relationship now. It may not be perfect but it's workable.

I'd like to think Bo will keep his temper in check and Martinez won't do anything to incur Bo's wrath. Then again, I'd like to think we'll win the B1G, make a run at the MNC, and that lottery ticket I bought has 6 correct numbers.

• Fire 1

I'd like to think Bo will keep his temper in check and Martinez won't do anything to incur Bo's wrath. Then again, I'd like to think we'll win the B1G, make a run at the MNC, and that lottery ticket I bought has 6 correct numbers.

If you win anything make sure to send some my way :).

Good point though. Bo will still be Bo. I doubt we'll see a tirade like we saw against A&M ever again. I don't think these two will butt heads again unless Martinez is injured. When a team is healthy and winning, everything is usually okay.

Inb4 the Wrath of Hujan.

Thanks for making my hard working day at ease. Lol.

Even though I gave him a lot of crap, congrats to martinez for making the list. I am sure that both men have gained some experience last season.

it is just real tough for any running QB to make it through a whole season unscathed...putting him out there with the ball repeatedly will be a high risk activity, no doubt about it....hopefully we can rely more on our RB's as the season progresses, assuming at least one of the true freshman can make an impact...i am nervous as hell with what may be in store.

it is just real tough for any running QB to make it through a whole season unscathed...putting him out there with the ball repeatedly will be a high risk activity, no doubt about it....hopefully we can rely more on our RB's as the season progresses, assuming at least one of the true freshman can make an impact...i am nervous as hell with what may be in store.

I agree completely. It was one of Watson's downfalls IMO. He leaned way to heavily on Martinez to make the offense go, and once Taylor for banged up, Wats had no idea what to do. Hopefully Beck can save some for later.

Que HuskerScott and his band of hardcore Tmart haters to inform us that "he sucks", "can't hit the broadside of a barn", "he's not a qb!", "Carnes is the savior....he's already proved it!", etc, ect in....6......5......4.....3.....

Somebody had to finish his countdown

I agree completely. It was one of Watson's downfalls IMO. He leaned way to heavily on Martinez to make the offense go, and once Taylor for banged up, Wats had no idea what to do. Hopefully Beck can save some for later.

Pretty much. I think Martinez' play making ability just masked the consistency issues we had across the entire offense. SDSU and Texas saw us at about our best when we had few injuries, and we were embarrassing. And despite the ties with Gill and Kansas and all the excuses we had for not playing well, we still should have played a lot better than we did.

Que HuskerScott and his band of hardcore Tmart haters to inform us that "he sucks", "can't hit the broadside of a barn", "he's not a qb!", "Carnes is the savior....he's already proved it!", etc, ect in....6......5......4.....3.....

Somebody had to finish his countdown

dude the guy sucks... i heard i couldnt even hit j-lo's ass as she bent over and grabbed her ankles... i also heard he is such a bad teamate barry bonds is coaching him on improving his attitude.. also lastly the guy looks totally A sexual and thats enough for me to hate him....... as for carnes well now that guys is straight up g....... i heard that old power aid commerical of vick launching bombs was really a 12 year old brion..... the guy is gnarly

... and i just got tired of waiting

Missed one:

68. JARED CRICK, defensive tackle, Nebraska. It's pretty much impossible to win in a physical conference like the Big Ten without superior line play, so Jared Crick's decision to come back to Nebraska for his senior season bodes very well for the Huskers ... and very poorly for their opponents. Crick, a 6'6", 285-pound beast from Cozad, NE, was second in the Big 12 in sacks and fifth in tackles for loss--both ridiculous numbers for a defensive tackle. He's going to be drawing constant double-teams this season as a result, so look for his teammates up front to have even more opportunities to make plays than usual.

Of course, it's impossible to be a standout defensive tackle at Nebraska and not invite comparisons to Ndamukong Suh, Crick's former teammate. Both are terrifyingly powerful and athletic, and while Crick's production hasn't met Suh's level yet, Suh's junior stats (19 TFL, 7.5 sacks) are only marginally better than Crick's (14.5 TFL, 9.5 sacks). Crick may not meet Suh's senior-year level of performance this season, but that's really only another way of saying he probably won't be a Heisman finalist. Probably. He's a mortal lock for preseason first-team All-Big Ten, at least, and where he goes from there is up to him. -- AJ

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/29691934