Really this is a Husker shirt......LMFAO

My point is in recent history (last 10 years or so) they are fairly close, therefore it is debatable.

The difference is that our lows are 5-7 and 6-6 years. Iowa's are 1-10 or whatever. A "good" year for Iowa is to play in a respectable bowl. A "good" year for Nebraska is to win the another championship.

Even in the last ten years, Nebraska's worst in 40 years, the programs are simply comparable. Over the course of history there is no comparison. We're talking the difference between Iowa and Ohio State or Michigan.

There is nothing wrong with Iowa. It is a fine school with a fine program. But it is not equal to Nebraska in any way, shape or form.

Thats what I was saying from TOTAL history, no you cant compare. But then again, you cant compare when they played with leather helmets to today either. The landscape has changed. If your still thinking your golfing on the course that was 20+ years ago, you are not. To say Iowa is a fine program while admitting they have been comparable, is exactly the point I was trying to make. Nebraskas current program or program of the last 10 years is in your words, nothing more than a fine program. Thats ok, when your running a clean program and right on the cusp is better than having the troubles OH St is. So what I am saying is between IA and Nebraska it is a race to get over the hump, nothing more. As recent (10 years) shows niether has a large advantage over the other in being the first one there.

a program is not made nor is it broken in a 10 year period. comparable records just indicate that you have had a few decent football teams recently but a program is a program is a program! a program is consistent success over a long period of time. when you think legendary programs you think USC, Alabama, Nebraska, etc. you dont think iowa. sorry they just arent on the same level.

iowa is on the same level as a missouri or a arizona and slightly above an ISU or a KSU.

Same level of what? What on earth does winning more games from 1900 to 19 when ever have to do with the current state of a program or the current landscape of D1 ball? OH St and Mich have a "history" also. What you are trying to say is that a fast car of the 60's has an advantage over a fast car of today? No it's just cool to look at and have memories of, but to think it is still the fastest car on the road is living in la la land. You can only judge a program by whats happened in the last 6 to 10 years, that gives you an idea of skills, recruiting and reloading, other than that it's water under the bridge and just memories. I would rather see Iowa get a NC now, than to have gotten one 30 years ago. Btw, how many of those "legendary" programs are doing well today? Seems to be some trends going on there. Dont get me wrong, the ol lady has her Nebraska mugs and what not and I have old motorcycles, but I know the limits of my old bikes, yes they were the fastest and best back then, but time marches on and now they are just cool nostalgic things.

• Fire 1
What on earth does winning more games from 1900 to 19 when ever have to do with the current state of a program or the current landscape of D1 ball?

You're thinking of this from the perspective of a program with no history. From 1900-1999, nothing at all distinguished Iowa football from Kansas football, Indiana football, Illinois football, Missouri football, etc. It's just another football program, and until you win a championship or three, you're never going to be on equal terms with Ohio State or Michigan or Penn State.

What on earth does winning more games from 1900 to 19 when ever have to do with the current state of a program or the current landscape of D1 ball?

You're thinking of this from the perspective of a program with no history. From 1900-1999, nothing at all distinguished Iowa football from Kansas football, Indiana football, Illinois football, Missouri football, etc. It's just another football program, and until you win a championship or three, you're never going to be on equal terms with Ohio State or Michigan or Penn State.

No I am looking at it from the view of, I would rather have a 60's GTO and a new caddy cts. Now given one or the other I would take the cts, as I can get more use out of it today. The GTO would be cool, to show or brag that I have one, but not all that useful or pratical by todays standards.

• Fire 2

No I am looking at it from the view of, I would rather have a 60's GTO and a new caddy cts. Now given one or the other I would take the cts, as I can get more use out of it today. The GTO would be cool, to show or brag that I have one, but not all that useful or pratical by todays standards.

And I'd rather have a '70 Chevelle (Nebraska) than a '72 Pinto (Iowa).

The problem is, your program doesn't have a new caddy. You have a Dodge Caravan. You've been OK the past ten years, which coincidentally are your best ten years in the last fifty. We've been horrible in the last ten years, which, coincidentally, have been our worst in the last fifty.

Yet despite your best decade and our worst, we have nearly the same records over the last ten years. In just the last three years, with Nebraska coming off a coaching turnover and Iowa having the benefit of continuity from Ferentz, your "better team" has exactly one more win, one less loss than Nebraska. So your Cadillac analogy is nullified both by your team's lack of overall success and by the fact that the team you're attempting to position yourselves as "better than" has been, as far as records go, equal to your team. It's a baseless analogy.

Further, even in Nebraska's worst decade in the last half-century, we've played for three of the last five conference championships in our conference. Granted, until 2011 the Big Ten had no such game, but even if it had, Iowa would have played in how many? One? Two? You tell me, and cite the years.

Even further still, as you are fascinated by the last decade, Nebraska has played for a National Championship in that decade. We all know Iowa has not, and has not been close. So again, there's no comparison.

I can dig up more numbers if you'd like, but I can guarantee you that Nebraska's are as good, if not better in every single category. And that's just on the field. If you want to talk revenue, fans, sellouts, any metric you want, Nebraska eclipses Iowa. Every single one.

Granted, until 2011 the Big Ten had no such game, but even if it had, Iowa would have played in how many? One? Two? You tell me, and cite the years.

2002 – Tied for first in Big Ten

2004 – Tied for first in Big Ten

2009 – Tied for 2nd in Big Ten – Ohio State won and Iowa tied with Penn State but beat PSU head to head

Would these count? :dunno

Granted, until 2011 the Big Ten had no such game, but even if it had, Iowa would have played in how many? One? Two? You tell me, and cite the years.

2002 – Tied for first in Big Ten

2004 – Tied for first in Big Ten

2009 – Tied for 2nd in Big Ten – Ohio State won and Iowa tied with Penn State but beat PSU head to head

Would these count? :dunno

So three, from the closet Iowa fan. Same number as Nebraska, in our worst ten years in the last 50.

I wasnt saying Iowa is a caddy, just saying, I would rather have a good team now, than in the past. I do sort of understand what you all are saying thou, you want both the caddy and the gto, and already have the gto, where as Iowa cant turn back the hands of time to get the gto from that era. Any which way, like I said between the two they are in a race to get over the hump and therefore are fairly close now days. We can try and hash out who is closer to over the hump, but that would be speculation at best. Iowa has been playing it's best ball ever in the last three years, and yes that includes last years disappointment. So I know they are close, health and a few chips falling right is about how far away I think they are.

One thing is, this year is going to be fun, no way around it.

I wasnt saying Iowa is a caddy, just saying, I would rather have a good team now, than in the past. I do sort of understand what you all are saying thou, you want both the caddy and the gto, and already have the gto, where as Iowa cant turn back the hands of time to get the gto from that era. Any which way, like I said between the two they are in a race to get over the hump and therefore are fairly close now days. We can try and hash out who is closer to over the hump, but that would be speculation at best. Iowa has been playing it's best ball ever in the last three years, and yes that includes last years disappointment. So I know they are close, health and a few chips falling right is about how far away I think they are.

One thing is, this year is going to be fun, no way around it.

dude, i agree with ya about most of this! all im saying is that for iowa to reach the level of teams that have had historic histories they need to sustain their current level and move up another notch to be compared as a PROGRAM to the likes of NU, penn state, OSU, USC, etc.. as a TEAM yes they are comparable but a team is not a program. i think that is where our conversation is derailing.

• Fire 1